Thinking of building a mini "B" rig...

DeadNight Warrior

• Members

Mainly coz I can't be arsed lugging the rack around all the time. :facepalm: But also, we take up a fair bit of stage space (three amp rigs, a double bass player, and a vocalist with a crapload of extra percussion/noise-making bits), and my rack and huge case with the controller and two expression pedals don't help when we're on a small stage. Suppose it's also a handy and very portable back-up rig too.

Thinking of basically just having a little pedal board, I guess based around one of the AMT preamps into an EHX Magnum 44 into my 2x12. I've already got a few boosts to pick from, a PEQ pedal if I need to tweak the AMT sound a bit, Pedal Power 2+ to handle most of what'd be on the board... maybe slip the HM-2 in there for the times I use big uber distortion sounds (but maybe a boost into whatever AMT could cover that). Only other thing I'd really need is a vol pedal up front, and then maybe a simple delay (although I've been a bit spoiled by the Axe's pitch controlled delay), maybe a Micro Pog.

I suppose the delay isn't entirely necessary. The Micro Pog would only be for one or two songs at the moment where I play pitch shifted an octave down; the unintended consequence of my smart-arse response to the band whining that my 7-strings don't go low enough. :lol: So that could be avoided by just not playing those songs. :idk:

I guess an easier alternative would be to just get a POD floor unit or something and run that into a 44, but where's the fun in that? :o

Anyone else have a mini-rig like this, or have any better ideas for something along these lines?

• Members

Sounds like an M9 job (or M5?). POG-wise; wait for the Mooer pure octave pedal thing to come out, it is much smaller (in fact there is probably something usable on the M9 that could do this). A volume pedal and the HM-2. Should save a lot of room in theory!

Blimey, hadn't heard of Mooer before. Haven't really been into pedals much for a while I guess. If that octave thing sounds as good as the Micro POG, that could be pretty nifty. Wasn't particularly keen on the Micro POG idea, given that they're not all that cheap, not all that small, and all I'd be using it for is the occasional 100% wet one octave down. Looking at the Mooer site and some YT clips, looks like they've got some pretty cool stuff.

The HM-2 I don't think will really cut it. I like it, but it's not really a sound that'll work for the large majority of our stuff. I need something with a tighter sound. I also don't recall it cleaning up particularly well with the guitar's vol control, and I really need that range to go with the vol pedal. But there are certainly bits where I can use it.

If I wanted to go for a multi-FX thing, I'd probably just get something that'll do everything in one... expression pedal, all the drive sounds, whatever FX, etc. But I guess I'd kinda like to a) not have another digital unit that I'll spend ages pissing about with programming stuff in and playing with useless noises I'll never actually use, and b) I'd kinda like to play about with a relatively simple board with actual pedals on it. Plus I've already got a few boosts and drives, a PEQ pedal, the PP2+... they all just sit in the bottom of a closet doing nothing these days. Don't want to sell 'em, especially the less common stuff, but I'm just not using them. :idk:

Not really expecting to end up with some kind of budget miniature Axe-FX rig that'll do everything the Axe will only maybe not quite as well. Nor do I really want that. I want something small and simple that'll get the core sounds I need to get through a practice or smaller gig, and probably just not worry about details like delays or mod effects or whatever. Although a Mooer unit of some sort might be a good way to cram a small, simple, inexpensive delay on there if I feel the need. :o

• Members

I would definitely consider the AMT into 44 mag into a 412 route. Very portable and loud enough to hang with a drummer. The 44 mag is really cool. I had one for like 2 weeks, then sold EVERYTHING haha.

You got much experience with the various AMT models? I'm more a Mark series guy (maybe with a bit more mid-range in there than the average metal Mark user), which is unfortunately not one of the things they have a model for. :o Not that it has to be that sound as such. I've watched a whole bunch of YT videos, and they seem all seem to have this really crisp snappy high end in the attack. Well, except maybe the Recto one, which just sounds like a flubby mess... so I guess they got that one right. :o Maybe everyone's just gone mental on bright pickups or something. :confused:

At the moment I'm probably leaning more towards the P2, but some of the stuff I can't really find demos of. The D2 and Vt2 I'd like to hear. I guess I could just buy a bunch of 'em, but part of the point of this board is to be relatively inexpensive. :lol:

• Members

i would also consider going direct with just my gsp1101 and controller 2 for cover band gigs at bars where people are really not going to care or notice.

I'd probably just get a smaller controller, slap the Axe in a 2U rack and do that... except I'm talking some pretty {censored}ty gigs. We're a bit of an oddball band, so we're confined to some pretty {censored}ty venues at this point... in which I don't have any desire to rely on going direct to FOH.

But yeah... I very much doubt anyone in the crowd is going to notice if I'm playing through the Axe-FX or a Metal Zone into a hi-fi amp. But I will, so they can all go get {censored}ed. :o

• Members

For small, {censored}ty gigs, I'd just get a SS or modeling combo and call it a day.

I don't use a lot of effects so I just use a Peavey Bandit on small gigs with my pedalboard. It sounds good for this type of gig. Give the Peavey Vypyr series a try, they have some really decent tones and effects that should be more than enough to cover this type of gig. Keep it real simple.

• Members

One of these days somebody is going to make a GOOD sounding modeling combo (with FX of course) for metal that isn't $2000 dollars. Fender did a great job with their Mustang, but that is for fender amp models.

I'd say find some kind of combo you can plug the amt pedals into.

• Members

I have this...... Rocktron Velocity V50D

2 channel, 2x10" 25w /side with stereo chorus and digital delay built in, has external speaker outs to run cabinets, as well as direct outs to go to a PA, also has a headphone out. for a 2x10 this hangs well for small gigs, the headroom on it is boggling for a SS amp. Using it as a head to run a 4x12 is a fun experience too. The effects are stellar, very transparent and high quality sounding.

14400606_m.jpg

• Members

Nice.
:)
How's it stack up compared to whatever you "real" rig is?

Did you just go for the P1, or have you tried a few of the AMTs?

My "real rig" changes every few months as I rotate through my Peavey collection. Currently it's the P1 through the effects return on my VTM 60 to the MC 2x12. The backup rig is surprisingly close sounding.....I would say it's about 80% there.

Never tried any other AMT products, but I plan to get the R1 and S1 when my budget allows. Another cool thing about the AMTs is the cab simulated out which could be used direct into the PA as a last resort if my speaker cab were to fail.

• Members

For small, {censored}ty gigs, I'd just get a SS or modeling combo and call it a day.

I don't use a lot of effects so I just use a Peavey Bandit on small gigs with my pedalboard. It sounds good for this type of gig. Give the Peavey Vypyr series a try, they have some really decent tones and effects that should be more than enough to cover this type of gig. Keep it real simple.

Meeehhhh.... not interested in getting another amp (the 44 is tiny, doesn't count). I live in a small one bedroom apartment and my music gear already takes a disproportionate amount of space. At least at the moment I've basically got the rack, the 2x12, and the Atomic wedge all stacked on top of each other. Not putting a 1x12 combo in there too... that's just asking for trouble. :lol: And anywhere outside of that pile is basically going to get in the way. A pedalboard rig I could just jam in the corner between my guitar racks, or between the couch and the wall, or any number of places really.

Rather than buy a modeling or SS combo, I'd probably be more inclined to just set up a 2nd smaller lightweight 2U rack to swap my Axe into and get a smaller controller set up. :idk:

Archived