Affordable 10" speaker for Fender sound?

jrcorp

• Members

I have a 20W 1x10" tube combo that didn't cost me much, and I'm hoping to get more of a Fender tone out of it. It's definitely a British type amp, with EL84's; I'm not very knowledgeable, but from the reviews I've read it is capable of more Vox-type cleans. I guess what I'm hoping for is more sparkly highs, scooped mids, and tight lows - not sure how much of that can be had from a 10". I have a 1x12" cabinet that I could use but I'd rather not for now.

I e-mailed Weber awhile back and was pointed towards the 10F150, which along with the T model seems great. But they're both near $100, and for what I paid for the amp I hope there's something a little more affordable. A local guy is selling some Jensen MOD 10-50's, but I don't think the price is quite low enough for me to break even if I decide to sell. I'd look for the Weber used but the impedance isn't right.

I know the easiest solution is to sell the amp and look for more of a Fender-type amp, but I'm not planning on that anytime soon. So, any ideas?

• Members

The Eminence Raging Cajun is a cool speaker.

However, I still don't think it will do what you want. Speakers can make a big difference, but it won't change a British sounding amp into a Fender - ever.

So my real suggestion would be keep what you have for now and save for a Fender amp, since that's what you really want. Everything else is a waste of money.

• Members

Thanks guys. I tend to buy cheap and mod, and as I haven't done much in awhile I was planning on trying to rig up a switch or two to adjust the tone stacks to more of an American or British sound. I do have some gear to sell off, but I would be much happier having the cash than trying to work out a big upgrade. For my purposes, having a slightly more versatile setup is easier than having "one of each" sound. If I do move on, it will probably be to a Tweaker or PRRI.

• Members

i have a 10" fender type speaker that came out of a Penn Amplifiers Custom Series combo.

I believe it was originally out of a Super Reverb 4x10.

Looks similar to this (pic from web) - but I could send you a pic later tonight.

You could have it for $40 shipped.

spkrs-cts72-10in-pair.jpg

• Members

I have a MOD10-70. It's got the tight lows but I think it's too strong in the mids for what you're looking for. The MOD10-50 could be different though.

I also have an Eminence Lil Buddy but the lows are larger and fuller, and the top end a little more restrained.

Maybe try a Copperhead?

edit: another thought would be those Turbo 10s that were in the Kustom Coupe amps. For some reason Parts Express seems to be implying that the speaker is all about mids, but I seem to remember reviews of the amps saying they could pull off a decent Fender clean. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-406

• Members

I have a MOD10-70. It's got the tight lows but I think it's too strong in the mids for what you're looking for. The MOD10-50 could be different though.

I also have an Eminence Lil Buddy but the lows are larger and fuller, and the top end a little more restrained.

Maybe try a Copperhead?

edit: another thought would be those Turbo 10s that were in the Kustom Coupe amps. For some reason Parts Express seems to be implying that the speaker is all about mids, but I seem to remember reviews of the amps saying they could pull off a decent Fender clean.

Thanks Wayne. I think I'll wait a bit and either lowball the local guy so I don't risk wasting money, or I'll shop eBay. The problem is that the amp has an odd impedance for the average 10", so it's not easy finding stuff used.

I'm avoiding mentioning the actual amp so I can try to avoid some flame and more "ditch that," etc.

• Members

this summer i played a tw rocket clone (ac30ish ckt) that had a kendrick blackframe 10. it had far superior / smoother breakup at volume compared to the fairly inexpensive weber it replaced. the weber had some nasty resonances which i think you are going to find on cheap speakers. the kendrick is a vintage/tweed style speaker btw.

of course the trick is to find one used & cheap. We were able to pick it up for $50.

• Members

Affordable...Weber Sigature 10S, Alnico or Ceramic.

I agree with guitarbilly74, you can really tweak the highs and lows with a speaker, but it won't over-power the preamp voicing, which is where the character of the amp comes from. A great example is that one of the favorite speakers for a Deluxe Reverb.

As for the Knutsaq's comment about the EL84's, that's horse-pocky. The power tube does not define the amp. Sure there are limitations, and tonal/breakup variations, but nothing inherent like the preamp tone stack and PI design impart. The AC50 uses EL34's and still sounds like a Vox, and nothing like a Marshall. I can build a Deluxe Rever with EL84's, EL34's (as a matter of fact Music Man did just that), KT88's, etc and it'll still have that signature "Fender Tone." No one can pick the tube type out in an amp on a recording or in live performance.

• Members

Thanks Wyatt. Just reading technical stuff makes me want to learn the ins and outs so badly. I had thought about a Weber Sig, but from what I've read and the response back from a Weber rep, it wouldn't quite suit me.

I got in touch with the local guy and he gave me a good offer on a pair of the Jensen Mod 10-50's. The Jensen tone chart describes it as everything I'm looking for compared to the rest of their line, and I've read some positive reviews that agree. For a budget speaker, it's probably worth what I'll pay.

Now I'll have to dive into modding the amp. It's definitely voiced like a Marshall, so I'm going to start with a tone stack and see how far I can get. It would be awesome if I could get closer, as I doubt the stack will have that much of an effect. But we'll see.

Archived