Busted Showman

Belva

• Members

I have a Fender Showman silverface head that I was told has a bad output tranny. Question #1: Would I be better off getting a stock tranny or would I benefit from a multi tap type? My cab is an 8 ohm 100 watt rms homemade job. #2: I heard rumors that you can pull one of the output tubes to reduce power level. Is it safe to run the amp this way or is that possibly why the tranny went south in the first place? Either way the amp hasn't been used in at least 10 years & will need a cap job. Will the caps still potentially have voltage in them? Should I drain the caps anyway? Thanks for helping this electronics noob.

• Members

I have a Fender Showman silverface head that I was told has a bad output tranny. Question #1: Would I be better off getting a stock tranny or would I benefit from a multi tap type? My cab is an 8 ohm 100 watt rms homemade job. #2: I heard rumors that you can pull one of the output tubes to reduce power level. Is it safe to run the amp this way or is that possibly why the tranny went south in the first place? Either way the amp hasn't been used in at least 10 years & will need a cap job. Will the caps still potentially have voltage in them? Should I drain the caps anyway? Thanks for helping this electronics noob.

#2 I believe the impedance changes when you take out the tubes, so if you didn't account for that, it could conceivably damage the tranny.

#3 It takes a few seconds. Better safe than sorry.

• Members

I have a Fender Showman silverface head that I was told has a bad output tranny. Question #1: Would I be better off getting a stock tranny or would I benefit from a multi tap type? My cab is an 8 ohm 100 watt rms homemade job. #2: I heard rumors that you can
pull one of the output tubes
to reduce power level. Is it safe to run the amp this way or is that possibly why the tranny went south in the first place? Either way the amp hasn't been used in at least 10 years & will need a cap job. Will the caps still potentially have voltage in them? Should I drain the caps anyway? Thanks for helping this electronics noob.

I assume this is just a Showman and not a Dual Showman.

#2 You would have to pull a pair of the four output tubes to do that not just one tube, but this is not recommended anyway.

Archived