PSA: $499 SG

guitarbilly74

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by greg apocalypse

View Post

wait wait wait

i just got excited and started thinking with my boner. You know how they speak first and think second.

Anything else though.

When I sold my secondary VH100R I vowed to never sell the original. Plus my 5150 blew up and I need the Titan at the other jam space.

Damn it, lol. Totally would have wrestled Billy for that Laney. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by seajay

View Post

I wonder if the prices are going down on Gibsons because of the baked maple fingerboard. idn_smilie.gif

Ouch... forgot about that. Aren't they doing away with those? Didn't they get that cleared up?

Ah, just checked: MF still has it listed as a Rosewood Board...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by seajay

View Post

I wonder if the prices are going down on Gibsons because of the baked maple fingerboard. idn_smilie.gif

I have had two guitars (both LP's) with the baked maple board that I had to send back this past year. Apparently the fretboard was not baked long enough because it shrunk relative to the neck. In such a way that you could feel it as you ran your hand up and down the neck. It was BAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!

I wish I were exaggerating.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by buddhapaugh

View Post

I have had two guitars (both LP's) with the baked maple board that I had to send back this past year. Apparently the fretboard was not baked long enough because it shrunk relative to the neck. In such a way that you could feel it as you ran your hand up and down the neck. It was BAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!

I wish I were exaggerating.

Could be the fret ends needed trimmed/dressed. I had that on a Faded Flying V that I had years ago and (stupidly) sold.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Guvnor

View Post

SO, MF has it listed with Rosewood, Sam Ash says baked maple... Wonder if MF sent back all their baked maples when the injunction was lifted.

Most likely a description error at MF. I bought an LTD Viper on a stupid deal of the day and the description said ebony fingerboard and bone nut on a $200 guitar. facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by buddhapaugh

View Post

I snagged one of the Les Paul Tributes a couple of months ago---more out of curiousity than anything else. I was not that impressed. In person they look really cheap. Which, I guess they kind of are.

I think that Cherry Standard for $799 is the fare better deal, imho.

Yea, $799 is unreal for a standard. I bought, and later sold, an ebony one in maybe 8/10 condition for $750 about 3 years ago. And cherry is usually more.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by esizer

View Post

Most likely a description error at MF. I bought an LTD Viper on a stupid deal of the day and the description said ebony fingerboard and bone nut on a $200 guitar. facepalm.gif

Could be... Sweetwater shows the SG Standard as discontinued (?) and with a Rosewood board too.

At any rate, it should result in an even deeper discount on the guitar.

• Members
I want to buy the Silverburst and replace the mini-hums with black P90's. OMG
:love:

and yeah SGs are great live guitars!!

I thought you hated the P-90's in that cheap LTD guitar you bought a few months back.

The mini hums actually sit somewhere in the middle between p-90's and full HB's.

• Members

I thought you hated the P-90's in that cheap LTD guitar you bought a few months back.

The mini hums actually sit somewhere in the middle between p-90's and full HB's.

It's all personal preference so my opinion doesn't mean all that much but to me mini hum are a bad compromise between P90s and full HBs. They seem thin compared to HBs and they seem to lack the bite of a true P90. They're like a lot of those noiseless P90s.

• Members

It's all personal preference so my opinion doesn't mean all that much but to me mini hum are a bad compromise between P90s and full HBs. They seem thin compared to HBs and they seem to lack the bite of a true P90. They're like a lot of those noiseless P90s.

I threw a set of Fralin P-90's in my Lag Roxanne and it changed the guitar.

Archived