Low wattage tube amps that are good at bluesy tones...

colejustesen

• Members

I am looking to get a low wattage amp to play bluesy rock and modern country tones... I am not looking for any kind of high gain, probably low to mid gain tones. I would ultimately like to have a head, for space needs, but that isn't necessary.

I really like the tone of the Fender Blues Jr, but was wanting to get that kind of tone in a head format. If it isn't, I have to no qualms getting the Blues Jr., but I would prefer a mini head format...

What I have come across that could get these tones are the Ampeg GVT15H, Egnater Tweaker, and possibly a Peavey Classic 30.

I have read great things about the Tweaker on this forum, but I am not finding much information on the Ampeg GVT15H. Have any of you guys played this? If so, what are your thoughts?

Here is a video of the Ampeg that makes me really want to play this and find more information about it!

Also, if you can recommend some other heads that are available that can achieve these tones, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks all wave.gif

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SnowStorm View Post
I just saw Jet City put out a new cleaner style amp in head form. Might be looking into.

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/2012/07/28/jca20hv/
Ooooohhhh.... I didn't know about this one! I wasn't fond of the regular JCA20H, it was a bit too bright for me, so this might be what I am looking for... Thanks wave.gif I will check this one out too!!!

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sleewell View Post
dr z makes some real low wattage models, i would start the search there if possible.

my bandmate just got a classic 50 410, they are amazing amps too.
I used to have a Classic 50 2x12 and it sounded awesome, but I am wanting lower wattage at this point [10-20 watts]. I would though be interested in the Peavey Classic 30 head, if one presented itself to me [or hell even a Classic 20, but I don't if those came in head formats...]

I will look into the Dr. Z, though those might be out of my price range [which is roughly $500]... Thanks, I will look into them thumb.gif

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact View Post
Tweaker 15 would be great for that
I had a feeling that this would be able to pull it off, though like I mentioned in an earlier post that Ampeg has me very curious... I am going into my local Guitar Center today to see if they have these in stock... I would love hear one, and maybe if I am lucky, I might get to try the new JCA20HV...

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen View Post
Ooooohhhh.... I didn't know about this one! I wasn't fond of the regular JCA20H, it was a bit too bright for me, so this might be what I am looking for... Thanks wave.gif I will check this one out too!!!

Cole
I know nothing about it but just happened to see it on AMS. Looks pretty sweet. I'm sure it's good stuff coming from Jet City.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SnowStorm View Post
I know nothing about it but just happened to see it on AMS. Looks pretty sweet. I'm sure it's good stuff coming from Jet City.
It does look pretty sweet... The aesthetics alone would draw me in to at least try it, if I saw one at the store...

Thanks for pointing it out to me!

Cole

• Members

gotcha, yeah i wasnt recommending the c50, i just saying they are great amps and i have heard great things about the c30 too. didnt know your budget was 500 either or i wouldnt have said dr z. my bad.

my buddy threw my keeley ts9dx in front and that puppy sounded friggin awesome.

good luck in your search!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sleewell View Post
gotcha, yeah i wasnt recommending the c50, i just saying they are great amps and i have heard great things about the c30 too. didnt know your budget was 500 either or i wouldnt have said dr z. my bad.

my buddy threw my keeley ts9dx in front and that puppy sounded friggin awesome.

good luck in your search!!
No worries about the recommendation... I didn't say my limit... I bought a set of Tele Wilde pickups based off a video that was being played through a Dr. Z amp, and it sounded awesome! I could totally imagine how they sound... The ones that Brad Paisley uses live sound quite spectacular too... One of these days, when I am rich guy, I will be able to feasibly consider boutique amps.

Thanks again! I appreciate your input!!!

Cole

• Members
I had a feeling that this would be able to pull it off, though like I mentioned in an earlier post that Ampeg has me very curious... I am going into my local Guitar Center today to see if they have these in stock... I would love hear one, and maybe if I am lucky, I might get to try the new JCA20HV...

Cole

It really is a fantastic little amp. I demo'd one once and it could do anything I wanted, even br00talz

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact View Post
It really is a fantastic little amp. I demo'd one once and it could do anything I wanted, even br00talz
I tried a few years back and was kind of let down... I preferred the Rebel 20 at the time. I have heard so many great things about the Tweaker, it makes me think that it was user error. I had the same feeling about the JCA20H, but I have read that the cab they pair with the JCA20 is horrible, and that it sounds amazing through better cabs [i.e. Mesa 1x12 or 2x12s]. This could be the reason why I wasn't digging the JCA20H, but the JCA20HV sounds like it would be more up my alley...

That said, I think the Tweaker and I need to spend some more time together thumb.gif

Cole

• Members
I tried a few years back and was kind of let down... I preferred the Rebel 20 at the time. I have heard so many great things about the Tweaker, it makes me think that it was user error. I had the same feeling about the JCA20H, but I have read that the cab they pair with the JCA20 is horrible, and that it sounds amazing through better cabs [i.e. Mesa 1x12 or 2x12s]. This could be the reason why I wasn't digging the JCA20H, but the JCA20HV sounds like it would be more up my alley...

That said, I think the Tweaker and I need to spend some more time together thumb.gif

Cole

I dunno, maybe there was something wrong with the one you had checked out.....I found it super easy to get up and running with great tones as soon as I plugged in. Wasn't even using my own guitar or anything either. thumb.gif

• Members
I used to have a Classic 50 2x12 and it sounded awesome, but I am wanting lower wattage at this point [10-20 watts]. I would though be interested in the Peavey Classic 30 head, if one presented itself to me [or hell even a Classic 20, but I don't if those came in head formats...]

I will look into the Dr. Z, though those might be out of my price range [which is roughly $500]... Thanks, I will look into them thumb.gif

Cole
I'm a big Z guy. Unfortunately, you won't find one for $500

• Members

I would love to afford a more than the $500, but I am allocating resources from other gear, and am expecting to get roughly about $500 [give or take].

The mini rectifier sounds good in the videos I have heard of it, but unfortunately I won't be able to justify it now. As far as the Class 5 goes, it sounds too much like a Marshall for me [since I already have one, I would like a different flavor thumb.gif But it does great!] I am not familiar with the Goodsell stuff; I am assuming they are boutique? I will look into it for sure, but like I said about the mini Rectifier, I just won't be able to muster up more right now.

I appreciate the input and insight on these other amps! I really appreciate the fact that all of you took the time to actually write something out for me! Thanks everyone!!!!

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by JR13 View Post
well if you're looking for something a little off from the Marshall flavor, maybe an Excelsior with a speaker upgrade?
I have read just a little on it... The consensus seems to favor it. I will look into it as well. Thanks for the suggestion wave.gif

Cole

Archived