DIY guys, what's a decent yet inexpensive digital multimeter?

Dolf

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R View Post
thought you don't bother biasing cop.gif

but yeah, I got that one too and the probe dealie. The harbor freight one looks just like what Eurotubes sells (as Raf already mentioned). Dolf, buy the HF multimeter and buy that bias probe from Eurotubes and you're set.
Yeah I don't for the most part... the only times I check bias on an amp is if either there is something REALLY wrong with the sound ( almost never happens) OR before I sell it. If I going to sell an amp I want to make sure the tubes can still hold bias at the correct range or if they can't, I have disclose it to the buyer. Even though I don't personally care, I wouldn't pass something to a buyer without testing everything beforehand. thumb.gif

• Members

If somebody wanted to get me a cheap pocket sized DMM I would want
this one:
dm9c.htmdm9c.htmpm55a.jpg
It's fine for automotive work, appliances...really anything that isn't connected directly to the mains.

I've used low end Amprobe/Meterman stuff in the past and it kicks the {censored} out of those 20.00 meters you would find at radio shack.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dolf

View Post

that's what I would have thought until I read the dozens and dozens of good reviews of that one online. At that price I can buy a couple in case one {censored}s the bed.

With meters , its not really a case of "if it {censored}s the bed replace it" . You have to take into account quite a few things. Ive got a $200 Fluke that I use for high voltage AC work , but I also have a Klein MM200 that I love. They are around $40 , accurate , thick removable leads and will last you a lifetime.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Norton666 View Post
With meters , its not really a case of "if it {censored}s the bed replace it" . You have to take into account quite a few things. Ive got a $200 Fluke that I use for high voltage AC work , but I also have a Klein MM200 that I love. They are around $40 , accurate , thick removable leads and will last you a lifetime.
Yes,
If a meter {censored}s the bed measuing the voltage on a 9V battery it's Meh.
If a meter {censored}s the bed measuring voltage in a live switchboard it's agonising pain & multile skin grafts.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Yes,
If a meter {censored}s the bed measuing the voltage on a 9V battery it's Meh.
If a meter {censored}s the bed measuring voltage in a live switchboard it's agonising pain & multile skin grafts.
yeah.. that's my take-- they warn you up and down about poop meters in e70 training.. they apparently just explode. glad to say, i haven't seen it happen.. but they don't meet any domestic standard at harbor freight... so that sketches me out. if you're not building amps or putting much voltage across the terminals, i'd still go with something rated..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by newholland View Post
yeah.. that's my take-- they warn you up and down about poop meters in e70 training.. they apparently just explode. glad to say, i haven't seen it happen.. but they don't meet any domestic standard at harbor freight... so that sketches me out. if you're not building amps or putting much voltage across the terminals, i'd still go with something rated..
The reason they explode is the meter isn't designed to handle the high currents that can pass through the meter from cross arcing or from transients.
The meter acts like a fuse and vaporizes.

If you work in power generation like I do, the odds you will see this happen are pretty goddamn high so you're going to be very picky with the meters you use.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pepi

View Post

For some reason I don't like the auto range on the Fluke. I used a Beckman for years and the Craftsman reminds me of it

Yeah, there have been times I wish I could disable the autorange function, but I have an old Kiethly 197 that I can use when I need to.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by newholland View Post
this'n looks like fluke made it (a good thing)-- and it's $63 bux. http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...1#.UMJfEYJAIwg

it's even got capacitance, which is great for measuring .. well.. capacitors. i make good use of one pretty similar, and the fluke equivalent is over a hunnert bux.
I've got one of those, though I think I picked it up at Fry's for under $50. It works, and is more rugged and easier to use than the el cheapo from Harbor Freight. You can get good deals on multimeters from Amazon, too.

Archived