Live albums/songs that sound better than the studio version

RaceU4her

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 100 watt

View Post

I may be wrong, but I think the Kiss Alive albums had a ton of studio magic & some over dubs done to em (?)

If you watch the video included in post #21, they go into detail on that topic with the band and the mix engineer, including some examples. Hint: They even dubbed in audience noise to make it more "exciting".

• Members

Actually, pretty much ANYTHING recorded in the '70s was better live. (There are exceptions of course) It would seem that they "neutered" a lot of the guitar tone in the studio. Unleashed in the East is no exception.

Contrast and compare:
Lead break at 1:44

Nice crunchy Marshall toans. Lead sounds kind of muffled and, well, tbh, just doesn't quite hold up to the live version.

Same break at 1:37

Rhythm guitar sounds like a snarling beast - Lead tone? Electrified Molten Lava!!!! Glenn also reworked the section where it returns to E before the climax with some slick whammy work. As a kid i literally wore this record out playing along with that break. (Try copping that same whammy work without a bar some time!!!)

Which begs the question: If UITE is a "studio album", then why are Teh Toans just so much more juicy??? Is it because these songs were recorded 3 years apart? I don't think so.

It's not just the guitars - Haford on the live album is on fire .(don't go there!!!cop.gif)

4:50, listen to Halford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO2DYwvseiY

Now, listen again, 5:00

Now he owns it!

CRAP! I feel like I have written a thesis.

A Priesthis?

....and developed a lisp....redface.gif

• Members

Everything on Judas Priest's "Unleashed in The East"

Everything by Grateful Dead

Edit: LOL. Just read the thread and awed at post #8. thumb.gif

2nd Edit: ....This album also nails most of the songs better than how they worked as studio versions:
Rainbowonstage.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by teemuk View Post
...and for all the "but... but... overdubs in the studio" -folks: Overdub this:

Also... the tastefully super trippy camera work / effecting is not paling in comparison to that solo. thumb.gif
Funny you mention that "trippy camera work "- was just chatting to a friend of mine about that show the other day....

We saw that tour (not that same show, we lived in Fresno). I saw that whole video later after it was on MTV - watched the video with my parents in the room. Could not mention how this portion looked almost EXACTLY like the show I went to....redface.gif

I only say "almost" because you can't see the colors that the whammy echos made behind our backs......freak.gif

Red Mad Hatter Four Way. Words fail.

Archived