Got some weird questions about amps in an apartment

Snaplit

• Members

The Yamaha gets rave reviews for sound quailty and if you can afford it its definately worth consideration.

But for around $100, you can get a Mustang 1 or one of those little Voxs, which all will work just fine for low volume use.

For a little more the Cube 20 is a really good sounding little amp, and the bigger Cube 80s or 90s will do low volume and play a gig too.

So will the Larger Mustangs.

The little solid state Orange combos sound real good to me too.

I agree you really cant go tube unless you get down in the the fractional wattages.

I have the Mustang 1, it sounds great, but I hate the way the interface works, too may choices and programming for me, but I'm a luddite.

Wish I'd got something with a simpler interface, fewer sounds but all available with the twist of a knob.

Just get the salesman to play several of them and pick your poison with the features that appeal to you.

• Members

Wait a minute... am I missing somthing here? The OP is going to just start learning how to play guitar and he is worried about amp selection and "tonal quality" ??

A.) Your tone is going to sound like {censored} no matter what you play.

B.) Chances are you will quit after a couple of months like most people who try to learn guitar so don't go too crazy buying gear.

C.) Your neighbors will {censored}ing hate you unless you play through headphones.

Of course, I may be missing info here such as you being a classically trained pianist who wants to make the switch to guitar and, if so, forgive me.

I would suggest the Roland Cube or Yamaha THR5 (versus the THR10). As a beginner, you really don't need the extra features of the THR10 and they sound the same.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by codecontra

View Post

Wait a minute... am I missing somthing here? The OP is going to just start learning how to play guitar and he is worried about amp selection and "tonal quality" ??

A.) Your tone is going to sound like {censored} no matter what you play.

B.) Chances are you will quit after a couple of months like most people who try to learn guitar so don't go too crazy buying gear.

C.) Your neighbors will {censored}ing hate you unless you play through headphones.

Of course, I may be missing info here such as you being a classically trained pianist who wants to make the switch to guitar and, if so, forgive me.

I would suggest the Roland Cube or Yamaha THR5 (versus the THR10). As a beginner, you really don't need the extra features of the THR10 and they sound the same.

I went to a music store yesterday, walked over to where they displayed the THR's and there were about a dozen THR5's in stock. The space where they kept the THR10's was empty. The salesman said that they can't keep the 10 in stock. There's a very reason for that.

I think that the extra $100 dollars for the 10 is well worth it. It comes with some very nice additional features. I don't like the fact that you can't save sounds that you create with the software on the 5.

That being said I think I see a THR5 in the future for me. I would make a great camping amp. It's sooo small.

• Members

View Post

No, they really don't sound the same. The THR10 has a bigger cabinet and it makes a difference. Trying them both at the same time, it was a no-brainer decision for me to buy the THR10.

• Members

I appreciate everyone's input, and everyone seem to favorite that little THR10, I wonder if it really is as good as people say, I'm just concerned about it's amount of effects and features. It doesn't seem like it got all that many compared to the Mustang 4 for example. How well does the THR10 play metal compared to the Mustang 4?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Snaplit

View Post

I appreciate everyone's input, and everyone seem to favorite that little THR10, I wonder if it really is as good as people say, I'm just concerned about it's amount of effects and features. It doesn't seem like it got all that many compared to the Mustang 4 for example. How well does the THR10 play metal compared to the Mustang 4?

My son said that the Mustang 4 sounds like a toy compared to the THR10.

He has spent a lot of time with both.

It's all about the sound. Not how many effects.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact

View Post

No, they really don't sound the same. The THR10 has a bigger cabinet and it makes a difference. Trying them both at the same time, it was a no-brainer decision for me to buy the THR10.

Really? Same speakers, same power output, the unit is a bit bigger, but nothing that I think would really affect the sound quality. I haven't played them side to side so I will defer to your judgment, but I am surprised to hear this.

• Members

View Post

Really? Same speakers, same power output, the unit is a bit bigger, but nothing that I think would really affect the sound quality. I haven't played them side to side so I will defer to your judgment, but I am surprised to hear this.

I played the Chapman Stick through both of them. The THR10 definitely has better bass responce.

The 10 was a no-brainer for me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Snaplit

View Post

"an amp that has really nice clean tones, as well as a heavy gain channel. Yet be quiet enough to play in a bedroom"

These 3 criteria, can the THR10 cover this?

Anything else?

somepeopleschildren :wtf:

ampeg v4

marshall plexi

hiwatts

wizard amps

electrics

sunns

those are you best bet for apartment amps.

Archived