had to fire 2 employees today

Mike LX-R

• Members

So it's a bit of a rough feeling to let go of 2 employees right before the holidays. They were a disciplinary problem and were not performing and meeting their quotas so it had to be done. It was a team decision, not entirely my own this time, and I wanted to get it done last Friday but my HR guy is a lazy pain in the ass and didn't want to rush prepare their last check until today. I debated waiting until after the holidays but dragging the whole thing out for another week or two wasn't the right answer either.

The department team leader/supervisor is a bit torn up about it. She's been having some weaknesses in her leadership lately that contributed to these two chicks rotting over time. At least she was able to admit that she could have lead them better and forced higher expectations before they just started taking {censored} for granted and getting lazy. I just told her that I can definitely relate to the feeling. Certainly everybody is responsible for their own performance but a strong leader will manage to pull the best out of people. I've had to learn this the hard way, letting go of someone who was directly under my management where I knew that there was more I could have done to help their performance to be adequate.

In other news... I got a $5K bonus today and I'm happy as {censored} smile.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hey man they gotta lie in the graves they dug, who cares what time of year it is? if you arent good at your job and have recieved training and notice and you still suck you gotta go, no room for dead wieght these days.

congrats on the bonus and incoming amp!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sleewell

View Post

hey man they gotta lie in the graves they dug, who cares what time of year it is? if you arent good at your job and have recieved training and notice and you still suck you gotta go, no room for dead wieght these days.

congrats on the bonus and incoming amp!!

Yup, that's the reality of it all. And you know... the thing is that I have to turn away A LOT of good potential candidates when I'm doing interviews for an open position, so when I hire somebody who turns out to be an idiot... IN THIS ECONOMY... I'm even less patient with bafoonery.

The good thing is that I already had found their replacements two weeks ago, who have already exceeded expectations with only a minimal amount of training. It's all for the better, but I post here sharing my mild reluctance to fire due to the holiday because I can't let that sentiment show here at work.

• Members

i just had to tell someone i was selling a house to that even though i told him he was approved for the loan the title work just came back and because he has liens for 62k in back child support we cant sell him the house. i guess they have been denied financing at many other banks and were really excited when they got approved with us.

so to summarize: dont be a deadbeat dad and you wont have to get bad news during the holidays

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

Don't feel bad. Emotions and business make a nasty cocktail. They should be the only ones who feel bad because of the choices they made.

It's funny cause one of the girls who was a nice person, just lazy and unreliable, took the news really well. The other, who's a bitch and talks back when she's criticized, was crying and looking all sad and remorseful.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by newholland

View Post

what were the responsibilities of the people you fired?

They were both administrative assistants to a pain management practice in the workers compensation industry. They had to do medical assisting type duties on our clinical days, conducting the patients' intake process, drafting a full medical history, history of injury, and subjective complaints in preparation for the initial consultations, provide interpreting during the examination as most of our patient base is Spanish speaking, and a {censored} ton of other front office administrative duties like requesting authorization to insurances, verification of claim status with the insurance and case status with the work comp appeals board, preparing charts and data entry of new referrals, confirm the clinical and OR schedules, schedule pre-operative clearances with an internist, and a bunch of other {censored}.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R

View Post

They were both administrative assistants to a pain management practice in the workers compensation industry. They had to do medical assisting type duties on our clinical days, conducting the patients' intake process, drafting a full medical history, history of injury, and subjective complaints in preparation for the initial consultations, provide interpreting during the examination as most of our patient base is Spanish speaking, and a {censored} ton of other front office administrative duties like requesting authorization to insurances, verification of claim status with the insurance and case status with the work comp appeals board, preparing charts and data entry of new referrals, confirm the clinical and OR schedules, schedule pre-operative clearances with an internist, and a bunch of other {censored}.

Probably getting paid 12 bucks an hour too right?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R

View Post

Probably getting paid 12 bucks an hour too right?

Archived