ITT: We post our phone backgrounds

Gary Cohn

• Members

Go to Costco when you buy, if you have a costco card. It was $199 in store, but cheaper there. And I feel like I saw it on Best Buy or something for cheap one day, too.

The screen is huge, for one. Very bright, very colorful. The thing runs so fast, the visuals alone of just sliding the screen from home screen to home screen is strangely pleasing.

They've added a lot of cool features for monitoring your phone just when you slide down the top banner. For instance, they've taken the "power control" widget (if you're familiar with other androids) and added it in the top banner when you pull it down. From there you can manage your airplane mode, wifi, GPS, bluetooth, stuff like that. Camera and video so far is sweet. The screen shot move is sick, too, you just slide your hand across the whole phone, rather than click a combo of buttons.

That's what I've found just in a very breif time of playing with it. The speed is awesome, the guts of the phone are supposed to be way sweet, and I think how fast the phone runs is proof of that.

The rest is really just iOS vs Android preference. I'm not ever finding myself wishing I had Apple apps anymore, that used to be the case, but for the most part, we're getting the same app or a very comperable alternative at the same time or very quickly. I also prefer the customization that can be done with Android versus iOS. After that it comes down to personal touches, IMO.

A few thoughts - if you own other mac products, supposedly they all sync up real well, so that could be cool. My GF wants to get a mac for the adobe suites and simply because they have an Apple logo on them (she's one of those), so really, I think the iPhone will be sick as far as going back and forth with a mac when/if she gets it.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Go to Costco when you buy, if you have a costco card. It was $199 in store, but cheaper there. And I feel like I saw it on Best Buy or something for cheap one day, too.

The screen is huge, for one. Very bright, very colorful. The thing runs so fast, the visuals alone of just sliding the screen from home screen to home screen is strangely pleasing.

They've added a lot of cool features for monitoring your phone just when you slide down the top banner. For instance, they've taken the "power control" widget (if you're familiar with other androids) and added it in the top banner when you pull it down. From there you can manage your airplane mode, wifi, GPS, bluetooth, stuff like that. Camera and video so far is sweet. The screen shot move is sick, too, you just slide your hand across the whole phone, rather than click a combo of buttons.

That's what I've found just in a very breif time of playing with it. The speed is awesome, the guts of the phone are supposed to be way sweet, and I think how fast the phone runs is proof of that.

The rest is really just iOS vs Android preference. I'm not ever finding myself wishing I had Apple apps anymore, that used to be the case, but for the most part, we're getting the same app or a very comperable alternative at the same time or very quickly. I also prefer the customization that can be done with Android versus iOS. After that it comes down to personal touches, IMO.

A few thoughts - if you own other mac products, supposedly they all sync up real well, so that could be cool. My GF wants to get a mac for the adobe suites and simply because they have an Apple logo on them (she's one of those), so really, I think the iPhone will be sick as far as going back and forth with a mac when/if she gets it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar

View Post

Aaaaand I can officially never go back to looking at anything resembling stock android ever again. I am in love with this simplistic retro art style. I'm considering tossing the weather forecast widget off to another screen.

xkzz5.png

Is that a new launcher?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MattACaster

View Post

Is that a new launcher?

Sort of. I'm using Apex launcher but what you're seeing is actually a visual theme that Apex launcher is being used to load.

I've used apex primarily to remove the icon labels, alter icon size by enlarging them a bit, increasing the homescreen grid to a 6x6 layout, increase dock bar icon size a little and tweak a few effects like scrolling and what not.

The clock/date widget at the bottom is one of the Zooper widgets and the weather bar widget is one of the eye in the sky widgets.

The icons and visual theme are all part of this UI/icon pack

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xnt.miui&hl=en

You go into your launcher settings (it will work with apex, GO, nova, etc) and there should be an option to select a theme and that miui theme will be listed. It will change the background and replace all the icons. You can change any icon to a custom one (the theme comes with hundreds of different icons) by long pressing any icon then selecting "edit" and then tapping the icon that pops up in the edit menu. At the bottom of the selection box that shows up will be "select from icon packs". Hit that and you'll see a huge list of all the different icons.

The guy that did the pack has made custom icons for all the popular apps and stuff.

I'm working on my nexus 7 right now and the apex launcher allows you to use the tablet UI mode and the extra screen space will let me use a nice big vertical date widget.

Archived