Just saw The Hobbit

OverDriven

• Members

Likely the high frame rate had notjhing to do with the iffy CGI appearence.

We saw it last night, enjoyed it and are looking forward to the following 2, although I may well just buy them on DVD because watching in 3D is darn expensive for added intrusiveness and the 2D versions are hard to find. Sure it takes liberties with the story, some that detracted, but it was good for itself.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by iff View Post
This is pretty much what I thought. I enjoyed the dinner scene because it reminded me so much of (what I remember of) the books.

I didn't like so many parts being practically cut-and-paste from the LotR films - climbing snowy mountains vs climbing mountain giants, Moria vs goblin mines, etc. A number of the set locations also reminded me a ton of LotR and felt a bit recycled - the plains of Rohan looked exactly like the plains that the Warg riders chased the group through.

I loved the riddle scene. I thought that part was VERY well done.
I loved the movie, but those were the scenes that bothered me too. Gave me too much of a "been there, done that" feel. They were essentially the same scenes from the LOTR movies, and just wished that Jackson had found some other way to depict them without seeming so derivative of the earlier movies. That, and the "constantly being pursued by Orcs" feel.

The Hobbit wqas a much lighter in tone book than the LOTR, but it seems Jackson went overboard trying to insert more drama and heavy fight scenes to make it seem more serious.

Thought the dinner scene at Bilbo's house was the best scene in the entire movie. Even if it was an hour and a half long. Seemed more in tone with the book's feel.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by iff View Post
This is pretty much what I thought. I enjoyed the dinner scene because it reminded me so much of (what I remember of) the books.

I didn't like so many parts being practically cut-and-paste from the LotR films - climbing snowy mountains vs climbing mountain giants, Moria vs goblin mines, etc. A number of the set locations also reminded me a ton of LotR and felt a bit recycled - the plains of Rohan looked exactly like the plains that the Warg riders chased the group through.

I loved the riddle scene. I thought that part was VERY well done.
I loved the movie, but those were the scenes that bothered me too. Gave me too much of a "been there, done that" feel. They were essentially the same scenes from the LOTR movies, and just wished that Jackson had found some other way to depict them without seeming so derivative of the earlier movies. That, and the "constantly being pursued by Orcs" feel.

The Hobbit wqas a much lighter in tone book than the LOTR, but it seems Jackson went overboard trying to insert more drama and heavy fight scenes to make it seem more serious.

Thought the dinner scene at Bilbo's house was the best scene in the entire movie. Even if it was an hour and a half long. Seemed more in tone with the book's feel.

• Members

I thought it was... okay. The trailers looked boring as {censored}, so the movie was a pleasant surprise in that regard. But it's just kind of dramatically slack: there's no big plot arc, not much happens, they just walk around and do various {censored} for 3 hours and it just ends with a tease for the next film.

Not a fan of the high frame rate, it didn't look like a movie and was endlessly distracting.

• Members

I thought it was... okay. The trailers looked boring as {censored}, so the movie was a pleasant surprise in that regard. But it's just kind of dramatically slack: there's no big plot arc, not much happens, they just walk around and do various {censored} for 3 hours and it just ends with a tease for the next film.

Not a fan of the high frame rate, it didn't look like a movie and was endlessly distracting.

• Members

It saddens me to hear he has used so much cgi. This is coming from a man who has/had the record for using the most real blood in a movie ever. I was born in Nz and a huge horror fan so I grew up loving Peter Jackson. But one thing he always failed on was story. Lotr was a story for him but hobbit has givin him room to write his own story in which appears to be a bad point. I've not seen it yet though

• Members

It saddens me to hear he has used so much cgi. This is coming from a man who has/had the record for using the most real blood in a movie ever. I was born in Nz and a huge horror fan so I grew up loving Peter Jackson. But one thing he always failed on was story. Lotr was a story for him but hobbit has givin him room to write his own story in which appears to be a bad point. I've not seen it yet though

• Members

From the comments about HFR, I'm glad I made the decision to see it in 3d/24FPS. I've also seen it in regular 2D/24FPS. I don't think the 3D added much to the movie at all but I'm damned if I wanted to see that 'gliding' across the screen effect that HFR seems to add.

All you Radagast haters can suck it though.....justice is done for not including him in LotR tongue.gif

• Members

From the comments about HFR, I'm glad I made the decision to see it in 3d/24FPS. I've also seen it in regular 2D/24FPS. I don't think the 3D added much to the movie at all but I'm damned if I wanted to see that 'gliding' across the screen effect that HFR seems to add.

All you Radagast haters can suck it though.....justice is done for not including him in LotR tongue.gif

• Members

I saw it in 3d HFR. I didn't really enjoy Jackson's direction with it, but then I haven't been a huge fan of a lot of his movies. HFR helped the 3d effect give me less of a headache than it usually does, but made the whole thing feel very different to a normal movie. It felt like you were watching a TV programme, just on a bigger screen. I'm not sure it will take off, to me it actually made the experience less immersive as a movie. I can see it working on something that is 100% CGI though, like a Pixar movie.

• Members

I saw it in 3d HFR. I didn't really enjoy Jackson's direction with it, but then I haven't been a huge fan of a lot of his movies. HFR helped the 3d effect give me less of a headache than it usually does, but made the whole thing feel very different to a normal movie. It felt like you were watching a TV programme, just on a bigger screen. I'm not sure it will take off, to me it actually made the experience less immersive as a movie. I can see it working on something that is 100% CGI though, like a Pixar movie.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
I'm curious what you guys think of it. I feel like this story is almost completely an invention of Jackson. For example, one of the main characters, the white Orc, is never even mentioned once in the book. Yet he is a large part of the movie.

That's not what really bothered me though. What really bothered me is that this movie must be 90% CGI. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I felt like I was watching a Pixar animated movie. The CGI didn't blend with the live action well either, and it just gave the whole movie a fake, almost cartoony quality. Directors are just going overboard these days. Though LOTR had a lot of CGI, it also had enough live action to make the whole thing seem much more realistic.

If you've seen it, what did you think?
I was disappointed.

First, dashing dwarves? WTF?

Second, they strayed too far away from the narrative trying to make the dialog more familiar for the average viewer.

Third, CGI fail.

And finally, yeah, the whole white Orc thing was BS.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
I'm curious what you guys think of it. I feel like this story is almost completely an invention of Jackson. For example, one of the main characters, the white Orc, is never even mentioned once in the book. Yet he is a large part of the movie.

That's not what really bothered me though. What really bothered me is that this movie must be 90% CGI. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I felt like I was watching a Pixar animated movie. The CGI didn't blend with the live action well either, and it just gave the whole movie a fake, almost cartoony quality. Directors are just going overboard these days. Though LOTR had a lot of CGI, it also had enough live action to make the whole thing seem much more realistic.

If you've seen it, what did you think?
I was disappointed.

First, dashing dwarves? WTF?

Second, they strayed too far away from the narrative trying to make the dialog more familiar for the average viewer.

Third, CGI fail.

And finally, yeah, the whole white Orc thing was BS.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BA.Barcolounger View Post
I saw it in IMAX 3D (non HFR).

I enjoyed it. The effects were not jarring and the 3d was superb.

I also have to LOL at guys who complain about too much CGI in movies about alternate worlds inhabited by orcs, elves, giant spiders, goblins, and dragons.
In the LOTR trilogy, almost every humanoid character was played by an actor in prosthetics/makeup. In The Hobbit, all the orcs and goblins were all CGI.

Further, I completely agree with the others that the high FPS was just too much. It made everything look plastic and fake. We saw it in high FPS 3D, and when it was over I snuck into the 3D showing down the hall, and it looked much, much better than the high FPS version. The only scenes where it almost worked were the fast action sequences, which looked almost hyper-real. The slow scenes just looked fake. I will not be seeing any movie in 48 fps again. I must also say that it's exactly why LCD/LED TV's bug me, because they make motion of any type look so unnatural.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BA.Barcolounger View Post
I saw it in IMAX 3D (non HFR).

I enjoyed it. The effects were not jarring and the 3d was superb.

I also have to LOL at guys who complain about too much CGI in movies about alternate worlds inhabited by orcs, elves, giant spiders, goblins, and dragons.
In the LOTR trilogy, almost every humanoid character was played by an actor in prosthetics/makeup. In The Hobbit, all the orcs and goblins were all CGI.

Further, I completely agree with the others that the high FPS was just too much. It made everything look plastic and fake. We saw it in high FPS 3D, and when it was over I snuck into the 3D showing down the hall, and it looked much, much better than the high FPS version. The only scenes where it almost worked were the fast action sequences, which looked almost hyper-real. The slow scenes just looked fake. I will not be seeing any movie in 48 fps again. I must also say that it's exactly why LCD/LED TV's bug me, because they make motion of any type look so unnatural.

Archived