Just saw The Hobbit

OverDriven

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GodBlessTexas View Post
In the LOTR trilogy, almost every humanoid character was played by an actor in prosthetics/makeup. In The Hobbit, all the orcs and goblins were all CGI.

Further, I completely agree with the others that the high FPS was just too much. It made everything look plastic and fake. We saw it in high FPS 3D, and when it was over I snuck into the 3D showing down the hall, and it looked much, much better than the high FPS version. The only scenes where it almost worked were the fast action sequences, which looked almost hyper-real. The slow scenes just looked fake. I will not be seeing any movie in 48 fps again. I must also say that it's exactly why LCD/LED TV's bug me, because they make motion of any type look so unnatural.
YES! Maybe my eyes would get used to it, but currently its all freak.gif

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by GodBlessTexas View Post
In the LOTR trilogy, almost every humanoid character was played by an actor in prosthetics/makeup. In The Hobbit, all the orcs and goblins were all CGI.

Further, I completely agree with the others that the high FPS was just too much. It made everything look plastic and fake. We saw it in high FPS 3D, and when it was over I snuck into the 3D showing down the hall, and it looked much, much better than the high FPS version. The only scenes where it almost worked were the fast action sequences, which looked almost hyper-real. The slow scenes just looked fake. I will not be seeing any movie in 48 fps again. I must also say that it's exactly why LCD/LED TV's bug me, because they make motion of any type look so unnatural.
YES! Maybe my eyes would get used to it, but currently its all freak.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GodBlessTexas

View Post

I must also say that it's exactly why LCD/LED TV's bug me, because they make motion of any type look so unnatural.

As far as I know, you can turn the motion smoothing processing off on all those TVs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GodBlessTexas

View Post

I must also say that it's exactly why LCD/LED TV's bug me, because they make motion of any type look so unnatural.

As far as I know, you can turn the motion smoothing processing off on all those TVs.

• Members

I really enjoyed the film. It's not like we didn't know in advance that there was going to be a drawn out beginning and lots of CGI. As a massive reader of Tolkien books all my life I can say that Jacksons take on the film was alright. Yes I did think about the CGI... but at the same time, it was expected. I just sat back and took it for what it was, and I enjoyed it.

• Members

I really enjoyed the film. It's not like we didn't know in advance that there was going to be a drawn out beginning and lots of CGI. As a massive reader of Tolkien books all my life I can say that Jacksons take on the film was alright. Yes I did think about the CGI... but at the same time, it was expected. I just sat back and took it for what it was, and I enjoyed it.

• Members

Finally saw it and...I thought it was a good movie. The 3D seemed expertly done...very few gimmicks.

I thought Martin Freeman (Bilbo) was fantastic....he seemed to have the perfect expressions and phrasing almost every time. Richard Armitage (Thorin) seemed to over-emote just a bit. Other characters just fine. Christopher Lee still going strong at 105 years old!

My only problem is that sometimes the CGI/cinematography was just a little too glazy and glossy. I suppose they wanted Middle Earth to look different than Earth?

Did not have problems with "Falling Stairs Syndrome" lol. But I felt the film suffered from "Good guy with pistol is better than bad guy with machine gun" syndrome. I do not know who anyone could survive the Rockmen battle. Or THAT many goblins in the cave. Even the orcs. Thorin was in the jaws of a hellbeast AND took several wacks from White Orc dude...and he had...a scratch...on his nose. I know...I know...it's a "fantasy".

Good guys are better with swords than bad guys are with swords?

But all in all...good movie fun! thumb.gif

• Members

Finally saw it and...I thought it was a good movie. The 3D seemed expertly done...very few gimmicks.

I thought Martin Freeman (Bilbo) was fantastic....he seemed to have the perfect expressions and phrasing almost every time. Richard Armitage (Thorin) seemed to over-emote just a bit. Other characters just fine. Christopher Lee still going strong at 105 years old!

My only problem is that sometimes the CGI/cinematography was just a little too glazy and glossy. I suppose they wanted Middle Earth to look different than Earth?

Did not have problems with "Falling Stairs Syndrome" lol. But I felt the film suffered from "Good guy with pistol is better than bad guy with machine gun" syndrome. I do not know who anyone could survive the Rockmen battle. Or THAT many goblins in the cave. Even the orcs. Thorin was in the jaws of a hellbeast AND took several wacks from White Orc dude...and he had...a scratch...on his nose. I know...I know...it's a "fantasy".

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Stevetemp View Post

Martin Freeman was good, but i kept thinking "when is he going to say hes Arthur Dent?" i enjoyed it, but his acting reminded me too much of Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. Similar roles though, i suppose.

and Christopher Lee isnt 105...hes like 91. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Stevetemp View Post

Martin Freeman was good, but i kept thinking "when is he going to say hes Arthur Dent?" i enjoyed it, but his acting reminded me too much of Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. Similar roles though, i suppose.

and Christopher Lee isnt 105...hes like 91. wink.gif

Archived