Anyone own a 6x12" cab?

kombi1976

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm thinking of putting wheels on it like a Ampeg 8x10. Y'know, you rock it back & wheel it away. I can't see that it will affect the internal acoustics. It's so big anyway.

Dolf, how did you manage to get 6 speakers to add up to 8 ohms?

• Members

I'm thinking of putting wheels on it like a Ampeg 8x10. Y'know, you rock it back & wheel it away. I can't see that it will affect the internal acoustics. It's so big anyway.

Dolf, how did you manage to get 6 speakers to add up to 8 ohms?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RaceU4her View Post
a full stack is cooler
I reckon it's harder to cart about.
A 6x12 only takes up a little more vertical room than a quad whereas for a full stack you need to another entire quad.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
I want to make a pregnant cab consisting of 2x10's up top and a 15" on the bottom.
Thats cool. I actually thought about build a 2x15/2x12 cab. Would have MASSIVE sound but it would make a 6x12 look like a matchbox. A bit like Lemmy Kilminster's bass rig. Marshall valve head, 4x12 and 4x15!!! eek.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RaceU4her View Post
a full stack is cooler
I reckon it's harder to cart about.
A 6x12 only takes up a little more vertical room than a quad whereas for a full stack you need to another entire quad.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
I want to make a pregnant cab consisting of 2x10's up top and a 15" on the bottom.
Thats cool. I actually thought about build a 2x15/2x12 cab. Would have MASSIVE sound but it would make a 6x12 look like a matchbox. A bit like Lemmy Kilminster's bass rig. Marshall valve head, 4x12 and 4x15!!! eek.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by greg apocalypse View Post
I actually did make one myself, and it was the best sounding cabinet I've ever played, even over my current Aftershock cabinet.

If the forum gets fixed soon, I'll find a link to the thread.

If you want one, do it, just be prepared to spend some dough. My dad and I built it together, it was a rad father son bonding project, and of course 6x12's are bad as {censored}. My interior bracing was also a little different than normal too, which I think helped with the sound. I don't know, I'm not an engineer.

I used 3 v30's on one side and 3 G12H30's on the other, wired the cab in stereo. Impedance was kind of weird, but not too bad. I didn't really notice a difference in sound with the different impedance speakers. I think mine was like this:

16 | 16
8 | 8
8 | 8

with the 8's wired in series and then parallel to the 16 (or the other way, can't think right now), which made each side 8 ohms by itself.

Loved that cab. Hated moving it.
what would you estimate total cost without speakers?
it seems that everyone thinks they can build cabs cheap, but the companies that do it professionally pass the savings of having all of the special tools, jigs, and experience on through their prices, even if it seems (and if said this many times) complete {censored}ing stupid to pay that much for a wooden box.
still, im kind of thinking about doing a 112 or 212 just to do it. though when done, im not sure whether i will be proud i did it or pissed i didnt just get an aftershock/orange/avatar/etc. from a financial standpoint.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by greg apocalypse View Post
I actually did make one myself, and it was the best sounding cabinet I've ever played, even over my current Aftershock cabinet.

If the forum gets fixed soon, I'll find a link to the thread.

If you want one, do it, just be prepared to spend some dough. My dad and I built it together, it was a rad father son bonding project, and of course 6x12's are bad as {censored}. My interior bracing was also a little different than normal too, which I think helped with the sound. I don't know, I'm not an engineer.

I used 3 v30's on one side and 3 G12H30's on the other, wired the cab in stereo. Impedance was kind of weird, but not too bad. I didn't really notice a difference in sound with the different impedance speakers. I think mine was like this:

16 | 16
8 | 8
8 | 8

with the 8's wired in series and then parallel to the 16 (or the other way, can't think right now), which made each side 8 ohms by itself.

Loved that cab. Hated moving it.
what would you estimate total cost without speakers?
it seems that everyone thinks they can build cabs cheap, but the companies that do it professionally pass the savings of having all of the special tools, jigs, and experience on through their prices, even if it seems (and if said this many times) complete {censored}ing stupid to pay that much for a wooden box.
still, im kind of thinking about doing a 112 or 212 just to do it. though when done, im not sure whether i will be proud i did it or pissed i didnt just get an aftershock/orange/avatar/etc. from a financial standpoint.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9 View Post
Screw that. 2 10s, 1 18. PURE ROCK FURY!!!!! Totally_jammin_out.gif
That's pretty much a bass cab though, isn't it?
For that matter, so is a 1x15/2x10.
I do like Randall's RS125XL with the 2 Vintage 30s & the single Eminence Legend 15" but they're asking AUD$1199 here in Oz.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kombi1976 View Post
That's pretty much a bass cab though, isn't it?
For that matter, so is a 1x15/2x10.
I do like Randall's RS125XL with the 2 Vintage 30s & the single Eminence Legend 15" but they're asking AUD$1199 here in Oz.
Well, yeah, so? icon_lol.gif

It works for certain styles. Slamming a fuzz pedal through 150 watts of 1970s solid state goodness is one of those styles.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
6x12 is probably the best thing a guitarist could own.

Dolf and Van_Muddlestien (sp?) both rocked 6x12's on tour. They know their {censored}.
Yes. 6x12's sound a bit bigger(rightfully so) and just IMMEDIATELY command badass responses from an audience as well as the other bands. {censored} is just cool. We toured on them for a while and other than the size it wasn't really much different than touring on 4x12's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolf View Post
No.

The 6x12 is probably the perfect combination of usability vs sheer awesomeness.
Facts.

I had one that was 8 ohms which I achieved having 4 16 ohm speakers wired at 4 ohms and 2 8 ohm speakers wired at 4 ohms and then wiring the 2 together. Zig Zag patterend v30's and et65's. If I had it to do over I would've gone either all v30 or all et65.

They eat casters for breakfast though if you gig with any regularity.

Archived