Anyone own a 6x12" cab?

kombi1976

• Members

I don't gig all the time. Shamefully I must admit that this is a mostly ego motivated move on my part. But, hey, even if I start and it's money here or there to replace casters that's small potatoes. We suffer for our awesomeness. biggrin.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Van_Muddlestein

View Post

I'm stealing this and using it heavily. Just thought you should know. And no I will not share any of the money I make off your brilliance. Suck it.

Y'know what they say.......brazen thievery is the sincerest form of flattery. wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D

View Post

what would you estimate total cost without speakers?

it seems that everyone thinks they can build cabs cheap, but the companies that do it professionally pass the savings of having all of the special tools, jigs, and experience on through their prices, even if it seems (and if said this many times) complete {censored}ing stupid to pay that much for a wooden box.

still, im kind of thinking about doing a 112 or 212 just to do it. though when done, im not sure whether i will be proud i did it or pissed i didnt just get an aftershock/orange/avatar/etc. from a financial standpoint.

Cost wise, it's cheaper to buy something already made. Even (or especially) with speakers. I had the majority of the wood for free, so mine ended up costing about $100+/- when it was done, unloaded. Speakers were another $6-700. I remember spending around $1000 from Avatar, just on speakers, although I did get a few extras for some other cabs.

What drew me to making my own, though, why I would consider it again if I could afford the wood, was for the fun of doing it, and doing it to my own specific specs. For instance, I put handles on the sides, and top and bottom so it can be carried long ways. I also added an interior baffle to split it 3x3, and caulked the whole thing in. A lot of complaints on 6x12's are their woofy low end, and looseness of the cab, I had no such problem at all. One other part I planned on, but never did, was putting the casters on the side, so I could roll it in and lift it upright to sit on the big birch sliders on the bottom and connect with the stage.

In reality, I will never do a 6x12 again unless someone pays me to. A 1/2/4x12 would be totally worth it. Way less wood, less speakers, cheaper to build. You get to finish it however you want, build it to whatever specs you want. And the more time you put into it, the better it will turn out. If you're using the right tools, taking your time to measure twice (or 3-4 times even), you can come out with some really, really great stuff. You get to choose all your materials and part placement. For me, there's a huge reward in DIY. Some people don't see it the same.

That's also assuming you have access to the right tools. I didn't even have a table saw when I made my 6x12, but I had a nice circular saw and made a really nice, straight jig. That allowed all my cuts to line up straight and right on the mark. I had a router, but I didn't have a way to make the circular cuts for the speakers. I used a hand held jigsaw to cut the cirlces. They're not perfect, but the speaker baffle is painted black and you'd never even notice. For my construction, I made it all around an interior frame made of 1x2"s, fully braced all the way around. My Aftershock is done similarly, but they don't go all the way around. Not sure whether it makes a huge difference, but my cab is ROCK solid. Plus, every single peice got glued and screwed, I'm not sure whether the big manufacturers glue or not. I assume yes. Whether it makes a big difference or not, I don't know, but a small small step for a little extra sturdiness. Plus that was just another one of those ways I got to do my own thing that a lot of other cabs don't.

So there's a lot of good and bad. If you decide to, you really will get people who tell you it's a bad idea. It's not a bad idea at all, just a different one. You will end up spending more money, by how much is up to you. Your quality will either be less, on par, or better than other cabs available to you depending on your skill and how much effort you put into it. In my mind, it's absolutely worth it. If you make it how YOU would want a cabinet to be, there's nothing wrong with spending a little more. This is one you probably wouldn't trade away any time soon. Plus, you get to carry the proudness of having done it yourself.

• Members

You can technically make them dirt cheap if you want if you don't use high quality materials. A sheet of Lowes cabinet grade birch plywood is like $40. That is plenty for a 4x12 and it is not awful wood. That a thing of glue and a can of spraypaint and u have acab good enough for home use for $60.

However

marine grade ply $100

Tolex $100

corners, jackplates,handles, casters. And other hardware$100

Grill cloth $50

Along with a ton of hardware store coats you wouldn't expect and you are about the Price of an already made one.

Archived