What was the crappiest sounding amp you've owned?

TU BE

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been lucky with amps but when I started out I made my own guitar cable using the stiff coax cable from Radioshack that's normally used for cable television. Bad idea. Not only bad materials but when I cut it up years later to salvage the connectors I found my young self didn't even solder the tabs correctly.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne2

View Post

I've been lucky with amps but when I started out I made my own guitar cable using the stiff coax cable from Radioshack that's normally used for cable television. Bad idea. Not only bad materials but when I cut it up years later to salvage the connectors I found my young self didn't even solder the tabs correctly.

Yeah, in my previous story about the G-Blaster amp project I also got a non-working guitar cable with brass ends on it. Never seen brass ones before or since. I ended up cutting the ends off and using other wire I had- I want to say unshielded 32-gauge stuff I probably yoinked out of a dead VCR or boombox.

It seemed to work good enough for that application, but in any other situation I'm sure it would have resulted in moderate to severe bonerdeath.

• Members

The worst sounding amp I ever owned was a Squire Champ. It was a little POS practice amp I used for jazz lessons in college. Very anemic and cold sounding, but it did only cost me $15 icon_lol.gif

The worst sounding tube amp I ever owned is ties between a Crate Blue Voodoo 60 and a Marshall DSL 50 w/ Mercury Magnetics transformers and power choke.

Now don't me wrong, I love the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL amps. I used a stock DSL 50 for 4 years. But the "upgraded" MM iron neutered the hell out of this DSL. It became thin and buzzy and lost all that classic Marshall roar. Mercury Magnetic really botched that design.

The Crate Blue Voodoo 60 was just bland and messy sounding on the overdrive channel. The clean channel was pretty decent, but it to was pretty meh sounding.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9

View Post

Probably the 15 watt Fender SS practice amp I started with. It wasn't even a Frontman 15 watter. I mean, it worked for its purpose of practicing but it sounded amazingly horrible for anything except basic clean practicing.

This.

It had a distortion button that should be named white noise dubbed over your playing button.

Archived