Haven't Ipods replaced DJ's yet

souldonor

• Members

I am not trying to start a war. I just don't get it. My sister in law was quoted $600 for a @%(%$*^ button pushing DJ. I could not believe it. I have 38000 songs on my computer I could play over a hundred days of music with no repeats. Yea I have all the crappy wedding songs too. I told her if she hired a DJ I would not attend. I have got way better PA gear than the DJ she was talking to. To me a DJ is not a musician, a performer perhaps, not a musician. I guess they have a deep knowledge of song names. I don't know. More power to you if you can con someone into paying you to play recorded music. Maybe I should charge more, because my Ipod plays DJ in between sets of real live music.

• Members

Once again another thread started by someone who doesn't understand what a DJ does and has probably never worked as a DJ and thinks that they are way overpaid. Is a DJ a real musician, probably not in the traditional sense, however there is deffinently an art to it. You say you have 380000 songs in your library, well the bottom line is that you really only need about 100 songs. The art is finding the right 100 songs for a demographic that can drastically change every night. One party might be for a couple that is in their mid 40's that loves country music both starting a second marriage. The next couple could be in their early 20's and watches MTV all day. The music selection for those two parties will be completely different. Not to mention that at most weddings there are at least 3 - 4 generations of people there and two seperate families plus friends that you all have to make happy with those 60 - 100 songs out of your 38000.

The second thing that a wedding DJ (at least the good ones) do is act as an MC and coordinator of the event. They have to be indearing and humorus and likeable to everyone there while facilitating all the events that happen during a wedding. Things like:

Getting the bridal party organized and lined up - (sometimes as many as 25 people) and then introduce everyone (make sure you don't mispronounce a name).

Handling the first dance and parent dance - a good MC will do more than just say the name of the song, they will embleash slightly and make the anouncement warm and fuzzy

Co-ordinating the best mans toast - more than just handing the mic off...you still have to be endearing to those guest and keep things light and easy after the best man has started tearing up during his toast

Handling the cake cutting - A good MC will walk the couple through the steps of the cake cutting while remaining funny and entertaining

Garter and Bouquet Toss - How about making sure that the bride has a garter on and that there is a "throw away" bouquet not too mention talking and keeping everything fun and flowing in a way that makes sense.

Other special things - Most jewish wedding are going to want to do a Hora and a Motzi, many people are going to want to do a money dance or a hat dance, or any number of things that they can think off...

Get the people dancing - Not always as easy as just putting on brick house or the electric slide and go. Alot of times (especially if its a cash bar or no bar) you have to get out there and find creative ways of breaking the ice and getting people going.

Not to mention the bride who maybe neurotic due to the stress of the day (bridezilla) breathing down your neck over every little thing

All of this and more while picking out your 100 songs out of your 38000

Not to mention you have to cover the cost of equipment which just like live sound can get very expensive very quickly. Plus your 7+ hours of time (1/2 hour drive to event, 1 hour set up, 4 hours of party, 1 hour strike, 1/2 hour back home). Not to mention if there is a cocktail hour they want you to play music for or if they want you to handle ceremony music at gazebo out side the reception hall. Plus the time talking to the bride and groom going over their wedding and the marketing cost to get the gig. Oh did I mention you should probably go out and buy a nice suit or a Tux, after all weddings are formal events.

And thats just a wedding. I haven't talked about Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, Proms, Corporate parties, and any of the other events people can think of. I once DJed a Christian Pre-School Prom where the client when it came to music told me "you know" (I didn't really know and limped through that one).......WTF

After all of that i think you would charge a couple hundred dollars to "push buttons" too.

And if you think that after all of that the DJs are overpaid, then maybe you should look at your own rates and evaluate how much you think you are worth as a musician.

P.S. - As a musician in a band, how many of those 38000 songs can the band learn and play well enough to charge for it. Plus, who in the band is going to handle all of the above duties?

• Members

Dude I may have come across offensive. I know that it is the entertainer part that a dj is paid for. But I am a musician I play solo, I have a couple of duos, and I have a band. Personally I can play just over 600 songs. The hours of work that went into that is a lot more than downloading a song. Plus I have instrument upkeep blah blah blah. You got me with the tux. But I have cost for marketing, getting demos made, time seeking gig, working with patron to get a price, pretty much everything you said, except the tux. Oh yea and I have to actual create the music not mash play. I was given a gift and I am proud of it but for the song to work I have to pour it out of my soul every time. I can't push play walk over to the dessert table grab some grub, hit on a brides maid, hit the restroom, and still have time to come up with what witty over used remark I am gonna say when the song ends "Come on Party people, Get yer hands in da air."

I am an entertainer. I pick songs for the audience. That is not rocket science. If you have a room full of church ladies don't play F' Her Gently. I get it, I have been playing music for over 20 years I can read a room pretty good. Honestly there are many songs that are a home run in any room.

When I have done weddings I do all the things you covered. I have never done a Bar Mitzva or "ethnic weddings". I play the crappy stuff that the sheep of the world think they have to hear during my breaks.

It is not your fault that people are stupid and would like to pay a huge amount of money for a button pusher that actually has a personality. A DJ is not a musician in any sense of the word. They are into music, but frankly if they get into the electric slide maybe not.

More power to you if you can rake in that kind of money for playing recorded music great. It makes me wish that I could chew back my disgust for the "craft" of Disc Jockey and do it too. Sadly my Credibility won't allow me to sell my soul to keep the BS game afloat.

I know I come across like a dick, I honestly apologize. I won't throw any more stones, and you are entitled to a good rock or two because of my comments. I just work real hard and hate that people would rather listen to "Non Live" music. We can co-exist, can we both hate Kareoke people together ha.

• Members

I've never heard anyone (effectively) argue that a DJ who just plays other people's songs is a musician. If the DJ is mixing records you might say they are an "arranger". If they are making songs out of samples in a studio you could say they are an "arranger" or a "composer."

You don't really get to the musician arugment until you get into scratching Djs. That's where you get into drastic manipulation of the sounds on records to create unique sounds that you don't get from simply playing the record. It takes the same type of dexterity needed to play any instrument. You need rhythm, control of timing, control of pitch, etc. At that level you're creating new sounds by your hand movements. I'd say that reaches the level of musicianship. Most guitarists, however, will disagree because they have inflated egos and are bitter because they never made it in the biz.

• Members

Once again another thread started by someone who doesn't understand what a DJ does and has probably never worked as a DJ and thinks that they are way overpaid. Is a DJ a real musician, probably not in the traditional sense, however there is deffinently an art to it. You say you have 380000 songs in your library, well the bottom line is that you really only need about 100 songs. The art is finding the right 100 songs for a demographic that can drastically change every night. One party might be for a couple that is in their mid 40's that loves country music both starting a second marriage. The next couple could be in their early 20's and watches MTV all day. The music selection for those two parties will be completely different. Not to mention that at most weddings there are at least 3 - 4 generations of people there and two seperate families plus friends that you all have to make happy with those 60 - 100 songs out of your 38000.

The second thing that a wedding DJ (at least the good ones) do is act as an MC and coordinator of the event. They have to be indearing and humorus and likeable to everyone there while facilitating all the events that happen during a wedding. Things like:

Getting the bridal party organized and lined up
- (sometimes as many as 25 people) and then introduce everyone (make sure you don't mispronounce a name).

Handling the first dance and parent dance
- a good MC will do more than just say the name of the song, they will embleash slightly and make the anouncement warm and fuzzy

Co-ordinating the best mans toast
- more than just handing the mic off...you still have to be endearing to those guest and keep things light and easy after the best man has started tearing up during his toast

Handling the cake cutting
- A good MC will walk the couple through the steps of the cake cutting while remaining funny and entertaining

Garter and Bouquet Toss
- How about making sure that the bride has a garter on and that there is a "throw away" bouquet not too mention talking and keeping everything fun and flowing in a way that makes sense.

Other special things
- Most jewish wedding are going to want to do a Hora and a Motzi, many people are going to want to do a money dance or a hat dance, or any number of things that they can think off...

Get the people dancing
- Not always as easy as just putting on brick house or the electric slide and go. Alot of times (especially if its a cash bar or no bar) you have to get out there and find creative ways of breaking the ice and getting people going.

Not to mention the bride who maybe neurotic due to the stress of the day (bridezilla) breathing down your neck over every little thing

All of this and more while picking out your 100 songs out of your 38000

Not to mention you have to cover the cost of equipment which just like live sound can get very expensive very quickly. Plus your 7+ hours of time (1/2 hour drive to event, 1 hour set up, 4 hours of party, 1 hour strike, 1/2 hour back home). Not to mention if there is a cocktail hour they want you to play music for or if they want you to handle ceremony music at gazebo out side the reception hall. Plus the time talking to the bride and groom going over their wedding and the marketing cost to get the gig. Oh did I mention you should probably go out and buy a nice suit or a Tux, after all weddings are formal events.

And thats just a wedding. I haven't talked about Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, Proms, Corporate parties, and any of the other events people can think of. I once DJed a Christian Pre-School Prom where the client when it came to music told me "you know" (I didn't really know and limped through that one).......WTF

After all of that i think you would charge a couple hundred dollars to "push buttons" too.

And if you think that after all of that the DJs are overpaid, then maybe you should look at your own rates and evaluate how much you think you are worth as a musician.

P.S. - As a musician in a band, how many of those 38000 songs can the band learn and play well enough to charge for it. Plus, who in the band is going to handle all of the above duties?

:idea: I had no idea WHY I was worth so damn much $$$ ....LOL :idea:

• Members

I am not trying to start a war. I just don't get it. My sister in law was quoted $600 for a @%(%$*^ button pushing DJ. I could not believe it. I have 38000 songs on my computer I could play over a hundred days of music with no repeats. Yea I have all the crappy wedding songs too. I told her if she hired a DJ I would not attend. I have got way better PA gear than the DJ she was talking to. To me a DJ is not a musician, a performer perhaps, not a musician. I guess they have a deep knowledge of song names. I don't know. More power to you if you can con someone into paying you to play recorded music. Maybe I should charge more, because my Ipod plays DJ in between sets of real live music.

$600? That's cheap. Most wedding DJs I've seen charge in the $3000 range.

• Members

The ipod thing worked for us. Kid was way more thrilled to have the ipod after her party than a dj.

I can't understand why having a third rate Johnny Carson would cost so much money. Hire a band instead.

• Members

I can't understand why folks would pay so much for a BAND! I mean come on now... They USUALLY just play someone elses music all night long and they USUALLY don't even sound like the original artists... Why pay $$$$ for someone that's just copying someone elses music? (the above was said in jest of course but to get the same point about hiring a DJ)

The point is, people want ENTERTAINMENT... What TYPE of entertainment they want and the quality they want is up to them...

The iPod DJ? Well, his music is (IMHO) probably going to sound lousy (or should I say lossy) when played through a professional sound system... I mean most of it is 128 bit which is sooooo far compressed that the louder it's played the more 'tinny' sounding it gets...

Compare that to my 'digital' system which uses either lossless WAVE files (sure they are gigantic but hard drives are cheap!) or a MINIMUM of 256 bit MP3's (IF I have to download a song because I can't get it anywhere else - but hey, I don't use iTunes)... The rest of my MP3's are all 320 bit Full Stereo...

Oh, and when a bride asks for a song like "Have I told you lately..." I can ask "which version would you like?" Same goes with wedding marches, etc...

BTW, I don't have 38,000 songs (only about 18k) and I hope I never will! But every one of my songs is a LEGALLY obtained one and I have the receipts/CDs to prove it! I add about 100 songs a month to my collection (via subscription services)...

But anytime you want to have a 'play off' of music quality, you get your iPod out and I'll bring in my digital (rackmounted) system... We'll get people of all ages to judge (kids notice the sound losses easier on highs, older folks on the lows)... You will probably be surprised!

Oh, and $600 for a DJ?!?! My goodness, my COSTS for doing one event are just over $750... But hey, I have a business plan and know what my REAL costs are too! Which is why I charge twice that so I can make a profit and still pay my taxes too!

DJAlan

going on the cruise?

http://www.djcruise.com

• Members

I happen to be a musician, yet I had a DJ at my wedding. First, a live band would have to be really f'ing tight. Then they'd have to know a ton of songs. The lead singer, or whoever, would have to coordinate the event. Now we are talking about maybe 5 people to play a song. That's 5 people that have to make a profit, plus more gear to bring. Sure they might be very talented, but it's not the same song that people are used to hearing on their CDs. So, for a band you're going to be paying 5x the labor and 2x the gear. We were looking at wedding bands for $2k or more. We ended up hiring a friend of the family that owns a DJ business and he did it for around $600. He did an awesome job. Everybody had a blast. He did games, dances, and really made the wedding awesome. His rig was about 1/2 the size of my own PA and sounded OK. Or it might have, we were all pretty trashed. It was totally worth the money and I don't think it could have been any better even if Cream had shown up.

Not to mention how does a live band play booty music?

• Members

I really am sorry to offend, I have an EQ on my PA and I can compensate for losses due to compression. I am really proud of you knowing all that crap about your system. The fact is if your costs are over $750, for one event you are a f'ing sucker and must travel in a Rolls Royce, and throw away your gear every show. Get in the real world what in the hell could cost so much if you already have the gear. I just don't understand inflating the Perceived value of whatever it is you sell. I have been to weddings with DJ's and with bands. They all suck. Maybe I am just not stuffy enough to give a crap about everyone wearing a tux. Watching a bunch of no rhythm idiots that don't ever dance, get tanked and dance. But hey to each his own. I think the whole wedding thing is overrated. A $2000 dress that is meant to be worn once, BS. Oh maybe you get a new tux every gig you have and that could make your expenses jive. There are people starving and we live in such a decedant society that it is ok to spend massive amounts of money on a useless one time thing. I play music for a living I am not trying to compete with the Wedding market, I make $200 a gig. Whether I am playing in a biker Dive, a huge music venue, or a wedding. I don't inflate myself to some sick grandure. Ok I will stop, but you make it like You have it all figured out, I am happy for you, Like I said before if you can sucker folks into spending some inflated rate, good for you. See you in hell. By the way I have been buying CD's for my collection since 88'. Sometimes I would go without eating so that I could buy music, I love the stuff, blood sweat and tears for music. I made it my life, so kiss it, if you think you are better than me. I am not saying I am better than anyone.

• Members

A guitarist, probably not into dance music (Soz, but cant imagin the average alcahol sodden biker being into house/trance etc) having a go about wedding DJs and wedding flippers jumping back to defend.

Your both a world away from real DJing - compared to a modern club DJ, wedding DJs basically may as well be flipping burgers. If they do the MC role - well fine - there is some use at least - just. Maybe they could moonlight in some dodgy 60s/70s/80s club when not doing weddings?

All of that music pre-dates when a 'DJ' became a DJ (ie mostly the end of the 80s, start of the 90s with one or two notable exceptionswho pioneered moderning DJing long before then) - ie when they started to do something *more* than cue up and hit play and talk endless bull{censored} over it like they are on the radio when people just want to hear the music. Ie when the sound they created was theirs - using other peoples music - sure, but doing there own mixing, creating their own flow and energy that was never in the origin tracks that they played.

If you werent in the Hacienda in manchester in the early 90s, or in some of the similar underground places in chicago, detroit, or never been to Ibiza, or ever been been to the london ring raves of the 90s (and similar in the US, europe etc), then maybe I can understand this {censored}ing stupid narrrow minded view.

• Members

A guitarist, probably not into dance music (Soz, but cant imagin the average alcahol sodden biker being into house/trance etc) having a go about wedding DJs and wedding flippers jumping back to defend.

Your both a world away from real DJing - compared to a modern club DJ, wedding DJs basically may as well be flipping burgers. If they do the MC role - well fine - there is some use at least - just. Maybe they could moonlight in some dodgy 60s/70s/80s club when not doing weddings?

All of that music pre-dates when a 'DJ' became a DJ (ie mostly the end of the 80s, start of the 90s with one or two notable exceptionswho pioneered moderning DJing long before then) - ie when they started to do something *more* than cue up and hit play and talk endless bull{censored} over it like they are on the radio when people just want to hear the music. Ie when the sound they created was theirs - using other peoples music - sure, but doing there own mixing, creating their own flow and energy that was never in the origin tracks that they played.

If you werent in the Hacienda in manchester in the early 90s, or in some of the similar underground places in chicago, detroit, or never been to Ibiza, or ever been been to the london ring raves of the 90s (and similar in the US, europe etc), then maybe I can understand this {censored}ing stupid narrrow minded view.

Maybe that is the experiance you've and many other people have had...I will admit that many people that profess to be a wedding DJ will do just what you have described. However there are quite a few of us that bring a true club feel to weddings. I personally am a club DJ as well as Wedding DJ (as well as an LD and a decent audio tech) I can tell you that my events are far from the 60's - 90's mix. I will play that stuff if thats what the crowd is feeling plus some of the ussual classics (yes there are wedding classics, just like freebird and sweet home alabama are southern rock classics that a southern band has to know) but the mix of everything i mentioned above and the fact that I can set a mood and the energy that I want makes me and many others like me far more than what you would call a song flipper. I dare anyone to come to one of my events and afterwards still call me a song flipper.

P.S. - If the wedding DJ is a song flipper, then what is a cover band? The short order cook?

• Members

P.S. - If the wedding DJ is a song flipper, then what is a cover band? The short order cook?

I dunno - but if your going to sound like {censored} - better to do it in a band than to be there on your own :)

Maybe the guys in a biker diove lobbing bottles, and anything else that aint nailed down are trying to make a point - "f*** off - your muisic sux!!" :p

If you are a club DJ also, then you obviously have a very good tolerance for crap music too :)

Ive done DJ sets to suit lots of people tastes - ie non-clubber tastes and kept it energetic and funky etc, but they way I work is quite simple. They choose a huge long selection and I get to vito or remix any of it - ie if I know it aint going to work for anyone - then it gets chucked out or remixed or mashed. Thats way I keep the music relevent and the energy flowing. Cheating perhaps, but TBH I cant just play any old {censored} - I have to enjoy it myself as well in order to project that (I hope I have broad enough tastes for that to work in my favour rather than against). TBH - I just do it sometimes, special occasions for people I know, or friends of friends throwing some huge party etc.

But alabama whatsit? OMG - sorry - but thats a place in hell and that where I draw the line. Good on you if you can fake being happy, interested etc through something like for a couple of grannies when everyone else is giving you cold turn-this-{censored}-off glares while smacking their fists in their hands etc :)

• Members

If Picasso had the internet and a printer, he would never have to paint, He would be a "Printer" not a Painter.

I am done hatin' Life is too short, and the world is changing. I understand I am dated, and don't dig on the Techno Noise. It's ok though, I have a niche folks like what I do, People also like what DJ's do. Great we can survive together. I am sorry to offend. Can't we all just hit a bong, aahh I mean get along?

• 4 weeks later...
  • CMS Author

I really am sorry to offend, I have an EQ on my PA and I can compensate for losses due to compression. I am really proud of you knowing all that crap about your system. The fact is if your costs are over $750, for one event you are a f'ing sucker and must travel in a Rolls Royce, and throw away your gear every show. Get in the real world what in the hell could cost so much if you already have the gear. I just don't understand inflating the Perceived value of whatever it is you sell. I have been to weddings with DJ's and with bands. They all suck. Maybe I am just not stuffy enough to give a crap about everyone wearing a tux. Watching a bunch of no rhythm idiots that don't ever dance, get tanked and dance. But hey to each his own. I think the whole wedding thing is overrated. A $2000 dress that is meant to be worn once, BS. Oh maybe you get a new tux every gig you have and that could make your expenses jive. There are people starving and we live in such a decedant society that it is ok to spend massive amounts of money on a useless one time thing. I play music for a living I am not trying to compete with the Wedding market, I make $200 a gig. Whether I am playing in a biker Dive, a huge music venue, or a wedding. I don't inflate myself to some sick grandure. Ok I will stop, but you make it like You have it all figured out, I am happy for you, Like I said before if you can sucker folks into spending some inflated rate, good for you. See you in hell. By the way I have been buying CD's for my collection since 88'. Sometimes I would go without eating so that I could buy music, I love the stuff, blood sweat and tears for music. I made it my life, so kiss it, if you think you are better than me. I am not saying I am better than anyone.

Bull{censored}; that's exactly what you're saying...you're a *real* musician, you put *real* work into learning your songs and being an entertainer. I read throught this thread and all I'm reading is you shredding a form of entertainment under the guise of asking a question. Repeated apologies followed by repeated insults.

I'm not a DJ. I've never been a DJ. I do occasional live sound support, and I play bass in my own band (or did). But I respect other forms of entertainment because I actually allowed myself a moment to understand the work that goes into the job, and because I understand why customers often prefer DJ's over live bands. The lists of "why's" is pretty compelling, and if musicians in bands would take the time to learn from it, maybe they wouldn't be losing so much to DJ's. I can go over them, but that would start another argument.

Regarding cost of doing business; you've never done this job, but you somehow know that the guy who has figured his costs is wrong? Where do you get off with that? Just the cost of getting to and from the gig, and to and from the client's home and advancing the venue before the gig, can be a substantial expense. Do you factor the cost of a trailer ($3000 minimum), its insurance, maintenance, and storage into your bottom line? Gear depreciation? Do you have to own a larger vehicle than you normally would, to tow the trailer, or drive a large 12mpg SUV or truck to haul gear? These are real costs, and they are rising daily, and this is before you even land your ass in the venue.

Is your gear actually insured?....if you do the work professionally, your homeowner's policy typically won't cover losses outside the home. Are you bonded and insured? Do you pay tax on your income, and if so, do you have a professional handle it for you?

I can go on and on, but that's not the point, which is that knowing your true cost of doing business is the first step in pricing your work to be profitable. Most bands either don't bother doing it out of ignorance, or don't want to do it because they know it'll show that they're working at a substantial loss. How could they not, when live bands basically are getting paid what they did in the 70's?

There's a lot to consider in every business. If you're going to ask a question, it's good to at least be respectful enough to consider the answers you're given instead of immediately arguing them.

• Members

Ie when the sound they created was theirs - using other peoples music - sure, but doing there own mixing, creating their own flow and energy that was never in the origin tracks that they played.

i like to listen to good music, not {censored}ty music some one else is trying to improve by combining it with other {censored}ty music

• Members

Really? Sounds like you are. Just Sayin'....

$100 an hour for a wedding DJ? Sounds like a decent deal. A good wedding bands that takes requests is 2-3k. That's just the way it is. Why are you fighting this? You do realize that you're cheapening your own value- that doesn't make a whole lotta sense...

And some DJ's are indeed musicians. You play guitar- And how many of your riffs are completely 100% original? Very likely NONE. The simple truth is that what you (and I) play has already been done. What makes us unique is how we put those themes and motifs together in a creative manner. Music at it's core is nothing more than a form of communication, and a musician is someone who communicates using music. Its not necessarily original. Therefore a DJ can be a musician if he puts music together in a creative manner that creates a larger piece or vision. He blends themes and motifs... I have heard some Jaw dropping DJ's doing wonderful things, that excite and inspire a crowd. People dance, smile and celebrate, just as if they were seeing Kiss, James Brown, or Led Zeppelin. So that DJ communicated and reached out to those people. I've seen others who play the most amazing tracks, but who are completely uninspiring- Kind of like Yngwie.

So it's a matter of perspective. I once thought very much like yourself- it took me a long time to drop that (IMO) narrow method of thought- we as musicians can be very conservative at times. As for the time you've put in... well, trust me when I tell you that a real DJ that is beat matching, Mixing, track ropping, using efx... That takes serious commitment and rehearsal. Try getting on a Pair of CDJ-1000's sometime- it much, much, much harder than you think.

Just my .02

Todd A.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's just so much fun listening to an amateur musician rant about how good he is and how much he knows and how many songs he can play. Wow.

There is a simple reason why DJs even exist. Most bands suck. People would rather hear the original artists played on a less than professional sound system by a cheesy wedding DJ than listen to a "band" butcher a bunch of songs.

You see, you can ignore the DJ and just get on the dance floor and have fun but a "band" says, "LOOK AT US! LOOK AT US! AREN"T WE GREAT!" No, you suck and you sound so bad we can't enjoy ourselves.

That's why DJs exist. I'd rather pay $2000 for a really good DJ than $2000 for a band made up of semi-talented wanna be musicians and singers.

• Members

I actually allowed myself a moment to understand the work that goes into the job, and because I understand why customers often prefer DJ's over live bands. The lists of "why's" is pretty compelling, and if musicians in bands would take the time to learn from it, maybe they wouldn't be losing so much to DJ's.

I'm gonna be honest, I can't for the life of me figure out why most bars and clubs would have a band instead of a DJ. And I've been a musician for many, many years now. I make decent money doing this and I just don't know why sometimes! If I ran a bar, as much as I hate to think it, I'd probably be booking (good) DJs much more often than bands. Less hassle, less headache, less time to load in, less time to load out, typically better sound (due to production, not necessarily quality of the band -- a live band will rarely sound as good as a fully-produced CD), more people dancing, more people drinking, more often than not the DJ will have a light show as well, ..., ..., ...

• Members

I offer combined services: live piano for ceremony and/or dinner music, and full DJ services for the dance party.

You really have to try being a wedding DJ to understand the complexity of the job. A wedding is a nervous affair - everyone wants it to go perfect, few know how to do it. Having a good wedding coordinator helps and a good DJ is the coordinator's best tool, but without a coordinator it's up to the DJ to guide the entire event through it's stages. And no, an inexperienced hack with an iPod won't cut it although that won't stop many guests from trying to take over the gig with their iPods, especially once they've been drinking. They no longer just make bad requests, they usually have them cued up and ready to play and they stick their iPod's under your nose: "play this RIGHT NOW dammit!!!". If you can handle that with charm, you're a DJ.

There is an ebb and flow art to the DJ job... you bring the energy level up then drop it with a slow dance before changing the beat and bringing the energy back up, all while accomodating requests, special dances, and Kodak moments. It also means dealing with everyone involved professionally, from the happy couple to self-important family members and downright jerks.

I find being a DJ for a wedding to be thoroughly exhausting work whereas playing a gig as a musician is not nearly as intensive. Better DJ's have great lights and effects, high-quality music files, a top notch sound system, a thorough knowledge of music of all styles and eras, and must be comfortable with a mic in all situations.

Even at $500-$900 a gig I sometimes wonder if it's worth all the actual time I spend preparing for a wedding. There's lots of advance communication and preparation involved, not to mention the actual setup and takedown times. That's not to mention the amount and cost of personal marketing it takes to get into the business. And now that gas has gone up so much since the beginning of the year I find that gigs I booked in January are worth a lot less in July.

Have fun.

Archived