Mighty Mite pickups

guitarbilly74

• Members

How are they? A friend of mine gave a HSS pre-wired pickguard the other day and I have some extra parts laying around, so I am considering building a strat with my leftovers and these pickups? Worth it?

The pickguard has a humbucker called "motherbucker" :lol: 2 single-coil-sized rail HB pickups and the standard strat electronics.

• Members

I've got a set of their Motherbuckers in my Weddington, and they actually sound really {censored}ing good. I normally put Duncan SH-5 Customs in all my guitars, but I don't feel the need to replace the Mighty Mites because they sound great.

• Members

Probably around '90 or '91 I bought one of their 'buckers in a local pawn. I have no idea what model name or number it was, but it had very high output and fedback uncontrollably. I think that may have been one I paid a local guitar tech to wax pot, and it still had the problem.

• Members

Probably around '90 or '91 I bought one of their 'buckers in a local pawn. I have no idea what model name or number it was, but it had very high output and fedback uncontrollably. I think that may have been one I paid a local guitar tech to wax pot, and it still had the problem.

:(

:confused:

• Members

They are mostly made for cort guitars. I had them in my cort guitar, I changed both of them. Guess you'll have to try them and see if they fit your tone, style and gain needs.

That's just not true. Sure they might make pickups for Cort, but Mighty Mite has been making aftermarket guitar parts, including pickups, for many, many years. That's like saying that Seymour Duncans are mostly made for Jacksons because many Jackson guitars have them. I guarantee you that if Mighty Mite makes pickups for Cort guitars, they are probably a special low-end type made specifically for Cort, and not their regular line of replacement pickups.

• Members

I used them when I started playing. I thought they were good. They did feedback, but so did everything then. We had to pick whether we wanted squealing or howling.

I am quite sure that they , like the other companies, have addressed the Squealies by now.

• Members

That's just not true. Sure they might make pickups for Cort, but Mighty Mite has been making aftermarket guitar parts, including pickups, for many, many years. That's like saying that Seymour Duncans are mostly made for Jacksons because many Jackson guitars have them. I guarantee you that if Mighty Mite makes pickups for Cort guitars, they are probably a special low-end type made specifically for Cort, and not their regular line of replacement pickups.

You are probably right. I couldn't find any info when I got my guitar. I paid a whole 100 dollars for it new.

• Members

You are probably right. I couldn't find any info when I got my guitar. I paid a whole 100 dollars for it new.

Yeah, Corts are cheap {censored}. I have one right here next to me. A buddy bought it against my advice, and he hasn't touched it in years, so it sits here in my jam room collecting dust. It feels like a toy guitar.

• Members

I used them when I started playing. I thought they were good. They did feedback, but so did everything then. We had to pick whether we wanted squealing or howling.

I am quite sure that they , like the other companies, have addressed the Squealies by now.

Yeah, that pickup I bought a long time ago may've been a very early make. I wouldn't mind trying another one.

• Members

Yeah, Corts are cheap {censored}. I have one right here next to me. A buddy bought it against my advice, and he hasn't touched it in years, so it sits here in my jam room collecting dust. It feels like a toy guitar.

Some Corts are really nice, especially the hollow bodies. Also Cort is a ghost builder for a LOT of companies. It depends on the guitar.

Having said that, a $100 Cort will come with bottom of the barrel pickups, regardless of brand, so you are correct to say they should not be an indication about the quality of the MM replacement pickups.

• Members

Some Corts are really nice

Truth. I have a Cort Korean custom shop jumbo acoustic and it's amazing. Solid rosewood back and sides. Ebony fretboard with flamed maple binding (which also goes around the whole body and headstock). Grover Imperial tuners. Killer craftsmanship, shaved bracing, the whole deal. Best acoustic I've ever played.

• Members

Gostbuilders for epiphone, every ibanez rg that starts with a k I think? And ghost build les pauls in the past for some japan brands.

Mighty mite pickups have some really good models, I really liked the PAF style they put in their m-series (cort) but the motherbucker was very high output according to a friend of mine that had it and resulted easily into mud or feedback on many amps.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

i traded an old broken gibson 12 string for a blue strat at the orlando guitar show a couple of years ago that was advertized for $200.  it was light and my 77 strat was heavier than sin.  i never heard of Mighty Mite pickups before, but  the instrument played well, was light to cary, and after a quick smoke test thru a show amp, i took it home.    At the home studio, plugged up to my twin and deluxe, these things made magic!!

i cant stress how amazing these pickups are.  this mexican strat came from an owner who aftermarketed the whole assembly with two single coils and a bridge humbucker, and all new pots, etc.  ever the Guitar Center Platnum manager was amazed at how powerful this guitar's guts are.  Tone is completely amazing.

i am buying more of these for other strats in my rack and for friends who now can't live without them.  

i have no idea how much they cost as they were part of the guitar from the show, but as a owner of awesome, real vintage guitars and some wonderful new PRS instruments, this strat still gets alot of my play time.  it will do anything.  Really.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Cort guitars are equipped with Bluebuckers or Motherbuckers, which are no low-end pickups. You can find them in the regular Mighty Mite offer. Epiphone, Schecter, ESP and some Ibanez, guitars are re-branded Cort guitars. Mighty Mite pickups are made by Cort according to Mighty Mite specifications or by Mighty Mite in USA itself.

Archived