Orange Ad30TC vs. Vox Ac30CC

zinzin

• Members

i am looking for a new amp and have narrowed it down to the orange and vox. i've played both in the shop but can't decide ... i guess i did not play 'em long enough, plus not with my own gear. i play british rock, lots of open chords, medium gain, with some effects: delay, leslie, wah, tremolo.

here are my thoughts 'bout the amps:

ORANGE AD30TC:

============

- its very heavy ...

- its less dynamic than the vox

- it has more gain than the vox

- the clean channel is dirtier

- its more expensive

- i don't know how it sounds with effects

VOX AC30CC:

=========

- it does not weight a ton!

- its very dynamic, maybe too as i am a sloppy player

- less gain than the orange, i may need a bit more

- the clean channel is very clean

- its cheaper

- it has an effect loop, but i don't know how it sounds with effects

so i really can't decide which one. i would also want to try out the rocker 30 but the shops dont carry it.

please give me as much input/expierence/advice as poosible. thankyouverymcuh.

• Members

A metal amp the Vox is not. however, with pedals it sounds pretty good. I use my AC30CC2 in the context of blues and contemporary music. It shines. It also cuts through a band like nobody's buisiness with my strat. With my LP, and it's higher output pickups, I don't get as much clean headroom, even with the master down and the main volume up.

However, I still love the amp if only for the tones it produces with my strat.:love:

I played the orange amp and it seemed pretty buzzy and harsh to me, but maybe it was the speaker, but it just lacked the warmth of my AC30CC2.

• Members

A metal amp the Vox is not. however, with pedals it sounds pretty good. I use my AC30CC2 in the context of blues and contemporary music. It shines. It also cuts through a band like nobody's buisiness with my strat. With my LP, and it's higher output pickups, I don't get as much clean headroom, even with the master down and the main volume up.

However, I still love the amp if only for the tones it produces with my strat.:love:

I played the orange amp and it seemed pretty buzzy and harsh to me, but maybe it was the speaker, but it just lacked the warmth of my AC30CC2.

• Members

Hey Zinzin, :)

I think both those amps are great choices for classic rock sounds! IMHO they're quite similar at what they do, but the Orange is a little darker and smoother than the vox. I guess the Vox would give you that traditional jangle where as the Orange would sound slightly beefier if that makes sense. :)

I have owned an AD30HTC and it really is a great amp at what it does. The clean tone is nice and sparkly, but still smooth and somewhat spongy. The amp however, does not really like pedals, especially OD pedals into an already overdriven channel (usually channel 2). I found that you really need to get the master up quite high for that to work, which isn't really an issue as Orange amps are somewhat modest in terms of output compared the the numbers (i.e 30/50/100 watts) :)

I can't really say much about the AC30 as I have never owned one. I guess this is one of those sounds synonimous with classic rock and roll. It doesn't really get any more 'classic' sounding than an AC30 at full tilt. The sound is jangly, bitting and woody all at the same time. You'll absolutely nail those sounds for sure :cool:

Good luck with your decision. Like I said before, you can't really go wrong with either of these great amps! :cool:

Tim

• Members

Originally posted by zinzin

i am looking for a new amp and have narrowed it down to the orange and vox. i've played both in the shop but can't decide ... i guess i did not play 'em long enough, plus not with my own gear. i play british rock, lots of open chords, medium gain, with some effects: delay, leslie, wah, tremolo.

here are my thoughts 'bout the amps:

ORANGE AD30TC:

============

- its very heavy ...

- its less dynamic than the vox

- it has more gain than the vox

- the clean channel is dirtier

- its more expensive

- i don't know how it sounds with effects

VOX AC30CC:

=========

- it does not weight a ton!

- its very dynamic, maybe too as i am a sloppy player

- less gain than the orange, i may need a bit more

- the clean channel is very clean

- its cheaper

- it has an effect loop, but i don't know how it sounds with effects

so i really can't decide which one. i would also want to try out the rocker 30 but the shops dont carry it.

please give me as much input/expierence/advice as poosible. thankyouverymcuh.

I have an Orange AD30TCH and Orange 2x12 cab, and about a year ago a good friend bought one of the new AC30CC's with Blues.

We spent about 4-5 hours playing through both of them one afternoon, with multiple guitars, multiple effects, and for a while using an A/B switch, so we could switch between the two amps immediately to hear the differences.

Here's our feelings in a very short summarized version:

Orange:

- Less clean headroom

- More gain, and a more "Rock" tone when overdriven

- Less dynamic, but more bottom end, and fatter sounding.

- Liked boost and OD pedals better, no FX loop so time effects sounded meh in front.

- WHAT IT DID BEST: Rich mid gain tones, like AC/DC with a little more OD. Thick, meaty, and ballsy.

Vox:

- Stays cleaner at higher volumes

- Less gain (alot less), a "rootsy" pure tone. Even when overdriven it still had chime

- More dynamic, but thinner overall. Cuts really well, but with a pleasing top end.

- OK with boost pedals, but time based effects sounded MUCH better. Slight breakup with a little delay and onboard verb was :love:.

- WHAT IT DID BEST: Chimey, edge-of-breakup cleans, like U2 and other brit rock. Also snappy, articulate cleans at higher volume, like old country.

At the end of the day, I left happy with my Orange, and he with his VOX. I play about 90% of the time with overdriven tones and didn't like the Vox's lack of depth/bottom. He plays 90% of the time with clean and edge-of-clean tones, and didn't like the Orange's lack of a higher volume clean channel.

If I played in a 1 guitar rock band (which I do) I'd want the Orange, because of its thick, dark, rich overdrive, and great bottom end.

If I played in a 2 guitar band, I'd probably want the VOX, for its ability to cut through, dynamics, ability to take FX, and the fact that it would probably mix very well with a Marshall or Mesa voiced amp.

• Members

Originally posted by zinzin

damn it! i want both now! the orange for the fatter overdrive as i am not playing clean that often and the vox for cutting through and working better with time effects. DAMN IT!!!
:mad:

Do what I do, then.

Get an Orange for your overdriven rock tones, and then a second amp for your clean/FX tone. Maybe an AC15CC (which you can probably find for about $600) or just get the AC30. You don't have to buy them at the same time. Just get one or the other, and then save up for the other one over 6 months or so.

• Members

I avoided the AC30cc for years because I had it in my head I didn't like EL84 amps or the British type of tone..... I play a Mesa Boogie Road King as my main amp. Lately I've been wanting an "alternative" country amp (already have a Fender Deluxe) and then a Forumite posted some country clips of an AC30 on here and I found out that Brad Paisley used an AC30 on his first 2 CD's and I then thought I'd give it a try...... and I now own one!

I A/B it with my Road King and the cleans are so different, and better IMO and has a 3-D type of tone to it, even for the 1x12 I went with. I find myself using the AC30 on more and more songs per night and just using the Road King on the harder stuff.

The AC30 takes pedals extremely well.... with my A/B setup I use a couple of Tubescreamers, a Pickup booster, and a wah and it sounds great with all. I also just bought a Line 6 DM4 (Distortion modeler) and it sounds pretty freakin' great with some of the high gain settings.

The reliability horror stories I've heard about these amps scares the hell out of me, but I have had no problems at all. The worst part about the whole amp is changing tubes!!! You basically have to disassemble the chassis from the amp cabinet and slide it out of the cabinet to get to the tubes. Pain in the butt!! One word of advice: If you get the AC30cc, maybe not the first time you take the screws out but the next time you take them out you will probably want to replace all of them. They are cheap metal or aluminum screws and the heads strip pretty easy and they may break off if you torque them too hard.

Over-all, I love this amp and I have it with me at work right now to use at a "low profile" gig tonight at the "world famous - Bass Pro" where I'll be playing mostly acoustic guitar but the AC30 and a tele fits in great on several songs.

voxrktelesmp2.jpg

• Members

Orange deff beats the vox in the gain department. the rocker 30 is very different from the ad30, rocker has a {censored} ton more gain. the rocker series are Orange's more modern high gain sounding amps.

just note the AC30CC is made in china, so the orange may be a better constructed amp and will probably last longer

personally i would go with an amp that had some extra gain just incase you ever feel the need to step it up a notch. the vox could most definatly not do that.

• 6 years later...

Archived