Weirdest thing that ever happened to you

Jesse G

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is some good reading, guys... some creepy stuff! Made me think of a few from my past.

I had just returned from a 3-week tour in Japan doing FOH for a jazz band in 1994. I flew straight from Tokyo to San Francisco to attend the AES convention. The airline had misplaced my luggage so I decided to walk around near the hotel and buy socks and underwear. Anyone who's been on the other side of an ocean and 8 time zones over (or whatever it is) knows it is disorienting. Anyway, I'm walking down the sidewalk minding my own business when I hear a voice to my right say "hey - you looking at me?" I wasn't looking at anyone so I just kept walking. The voice got louder "Hey - I'm talking to YOU. Are you looking at ME?" then all the sudden this guy was all up in my face yelling at me and grabbing at my shirt. I'm not a real big guy, but I'm tall with a long reach. So I pushed him away and said "dude, I'm not looking at you, I don't know what the f*&% you're talking about! He came back at me and grabbed me again and we started struggling. Somehow I knocked him down, held him there, and raised my fist to punch him in the face. At this point, some woman comes running up yelling "don't hurt him!!" Holy shizzle. I was pretty shaken up but I brushed myself off and started walking. Found some socks and underwear...

The only time I've ever gotten freaked by anything "ghost" or "spirit" related was when I lived in LA in 1991. My GF and I shared a 1BR apt. near I10 and 405 in Palms, "Casa Serrano" apt. complex or something like that. Anyway, one night we were there gettin' ready for bed and both of us, at the same time, felt a "presence" emanating from the bathroom. We looked at each other and said "WTF is that" We were just overcome with dread and felt like there was a spirit in there. After a few minutes it waned. Our best guess at the time was that someone had killed themselves in there before we moved in. It still freaks me out to think about it.

The only time I've seen a car accident happen in front of me was in about 1989 in Tucson, AZ. I was waiting at a stoplight on Dodge Rd. at Grant, heading east, at maybe 9pm. There was a car directly opposite me with it's left turn signal on - turns out it was an old lady behind the wheel. The light was still red, and there was a car coming down Grant to my left, probably going 40. Suddenly, the car opposite me just started going left against the light. The poor guy approaching had NO time to react - he just plowed right into her, spinning both cars around. For a second there, I thought they would both crash into me - fortunately they did not. The old lady was pretty hurt. The guy was driving some kind of classic car, like a '64 Malibu or something - I remember it being metallic light blue. It was messed up, but nothing like the front left corner of the woman's car. Since I witnessed it, I stuck around to give a description of what happened to the police. Also, later, the woman's son called me to hear it directly from me what happened. She lived but was in the hospital for a while.

• Members

Weird Stuff #2: The Flyover

My grandfather's funeral was several years ago. He was a war hero and was buried with full military honors. In the morning the Air Force held a flyover over his gravesite. The family was not able to see that, as the mass was held a few hours later across the Bay, followed by a millitary funeral at the National Cemetary .

We all wished the flyover could coincide with the graveside services, but the cemetary is very close to an international airport, so I'm sure there were flight plan matters to consider. In retrospect, I imagine that it was a pretty big (albiet routine)deal for SFO, having to defer traffic to a flight of fighter jets blazing through their airspace at nine in the morning.

We attended the mass, then all drove across The Bridge to the National Cemetary. The Freedom Riders were there, on their bikes with their flags and leathers. (The WBC was not there, which is why I am not behind bars.)

If you have never attended a millitary funeral, it's deeply moving. Every motion is perfectly syncronized and performed silently. The part that struck me the most was when the honor guard stood around the casket, and as one man, slowly and reverently lowered their faces to look upon the casket.

We left the chapel after the flag folding ceremony, then there was a 21 Gun Salute, followed by Taps.

So, just as the last note of the bugle was fading, out of the clear blue sky, 'SKREEEEE' - a Red Tailed Hawk flies directly over the assembly and lets out his cry.

Fighter jets are cool, but seriously......that was ......

Words fail.

• Members

Homeless in NYC back in the 90's. Met this crackhead dude in a homeless shelter during the winter. He actually had a place to live in the East Village with his grandmother. We were partying at grandma's place with his big boned Puerto Rican girlfriend one night. She suggested I do her while he watched. So I did her while he watched.

• Members

When I was a kid there was this secluded, woods area on the edge of town. There was a trail that ran along a creek and one time I veered off and found a clearing that looked like a spot kids would maybe hang out and party. Then I find all these 666 and pentagrams painted on the side of trees and what not. There was also this styrofoam cooler laying there. I opened it up and there were blankets inside with an imprint like something had been laying in there. It was about the size of a baby. By then I was freaked and FO'd. Never figured out what that was all about but it was pretty weird.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Well, since the long running Guitar Jam thread is gone I can only respond to this one and I must have posted dozens upon dozens of weird things there.

Anyway....

I was standing on the corner waiting for the bus in downtown Minneapolis around 5:30 pm a few years ago, people are milling everywhere and trying to get to their appropriate buses and I watch this guy crossing the street heading from west to east maybe 8 feet from me.

As he's walking into the street (the light to cross the street is in his favor) he pauses and turns back like he realized he forgot something and a FedEx or UPS type commercial vehicle runs the red light running north to south and in turning he just gets struck a glancing blow without really realizing it.  A woman shouts "Oh Lord in Heaven!" and he just walks away, back towards the west.

By rights he should have been flattened in the street but his pausing and turning like he forgot something basically saved his life.  He walked away and he was perfectly fine.  I think about this often - how on earth did this guy just get barely hit so that he was totally unaffected?  

Closest analogy: It was like the effect you see in a Warner Brothers cartoon where the elevator is in freefall and just as the elevator is about to smash into a million pieces at the ground floor of the building the passenger steps off perfectly unharmed. 

• Members

A couple of weeks ago one of my best friends from high school died the day of his wedding. He was 49. Driving home from the wedding reception that night. He and his wife of a few hours saw someone who had slid into the ditch from ice on the road.... and he got out to help. About 3 cars immediately slid in exactly the same way into them both killing him and the lady he was trying to help instantly. His new wife was a newlywed and a widow on the same day.

The weird thing was that I started thinking back on all the great times we had and there were all these weird coincidences that looking back seemed to forebode his death. One of his favorite sayings was: "Die a crazy death." It was some graffitti we read on a wall and thought it was weird and funny and he'd say it sometimes just because it sounded weird, A lot of car related weird stuff too.

• Members

When I was 9 years old I was kidnapped. I knew the guy, he tried holding me for ransom. I live in PA and he took us to Nashville, TN.

I was finally able to get away when he went into a gas station for a pack of smokes. I kicked the window out of his truck and jumped out and ran like hell. He somehow had it locked from the inside.

I was gone for ten days.

He never laid a finger on me. He was actually scared the whole time. He knew he screwed up, I just waited patiently til I knew I could get away. I had to play my cards right. He had a revolver and a knife on him.

• Members

Hard to pick just one.

About 10 years ago I was backpacking solo in Sequoia National Park, and slipped on some snow and slid into some rocks in an area where not too many folks ever go.  Camped overnight, took off the next morning off trail across a boulder field, not quite sure how to get to the next pass.  After a couple of hours I finally saw another dude, who it turned out knew the area.  We went over the pass, and my knee swelled up like a grapefruit,  Camped that night with him, and I decided to bail out while he went further into the back country.  We were both real concerned about my ability to get out, but I managed to hike out 15 miles with what turned out to be a torn LCL.

Three years later I was backpacking over the same pass, telling some folks I had met up with this story. I looked down the trail and saw the same guy coming up.  Neither one of us had been in the area in the intervening time, and this is a couple of days out into the backcountry where you sometimes do not see anyone for days.  We had met again about a mile from where we met the first time. He had always wondered what happened to me.

• Members

Mine's pretty dark.

I'm into urban exploring, and am frequently out of town.  The last 2 Aprils, I went south to explore for an annual meetup.  The first time I went, April 2012, I came home to find out an hour later that one of my cats had died that weekend.  Started puking blood and had to be put down.  This April, the last place I explored, I spent all day at a cemetery looking for headstones with my last name, and explored an abandoned crematorium. I got home that night around 1am.  Around 2:20 my dad died of lung cancer.  His tumor ruptured and he bled out right in front of me and died by the time we had a 911 operator.  Leaving the hospital, the first song that came on the radio was Gone Away, by The Offspring.  I don't think I'm going this year.

Archived