Bernie Rico Jr. Guitars

Mesa/Kramer

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeOfDarkness

View Post

Bingo , but it's bad business to promise a time frame that you know will not happen.

Nothing like being over run with business having something everyone wants to buy, but you can't find a way to produce the very item that will make you money.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeOfDarkness

View Post

Bingo , but it's bad business to promise a time frame that you know will not happen.

Nothing like being over run with business having something everyone wants to buy, but you can't find a way to produce the very item that will make you money.

• Members

Wasn't Bernie always semi-notorious for pushing projects back in order to file new orders in from internet celebs/gear whore dudes with a following? Was it Tornado of Trolls that got raepinated on his order LONG before the black friday sale thing? It does seem they're CAPABLE of making a hell of a guitar, but it seems once things started to slip they slipped fast and hard.

It's really sad, because some of their early work looked TRULY impressive. Now? Just another small time guy that can't follow through. Seems the guitar world is filling up with those types.

• Members

Wasn't Bernie always semi-notorious for pushing projects back in order to file new orders in from internet celebs/gear whore dudes with a following? Was it Tornado of Trolls that got raepinated on his order LONG before the black friday sale thing? It does seem they're CAPABLE of making a hell of a guitar, but it seems once things started to slip they slipped fast and hard.

It's really sad, because some of their early work looked TRULY impressive. Now? Just another small time guy that can't follow through. Seems the guitar world is filling up with those types.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
all these horror stories about these small guitar and amps builders.... I will take production gear from a reputable dealer any day over this BS.... there are SO many off the rack options out there for just about any style, no need to risk this type of headache.
I agree with this to a degree, unless you really trust the person youre paying to build you something. For example, I never sent my mak4 in for updates because Andrew has a lot of work, and I didnt want to wait the amount of time he needed to get to it.

I had a HORRIBLE experience with Tim at EarCandy when I ordered some of his speakers, and Ive also heard WAY too many stories about him not fulfilling cab orders to order one from him...even though his cabs are my favorite cabs that Ive ever played, and Id LOVE to get another one.

Had a similar experience with a custom knife maker, but unfortunately, the guy took money from about 7 people and just vanished...no knife frown.gif.

• Members
all these horror stories about these small guitar and amps builders.... I will take production gear from a reputable dealer any day over this BS.... there are SO many off the rack options out there for just about any style, no need to risk this type of headache.
I agree with this to a degree, unless you really trust the person youre paying to build you something. For example, I never sent my mak4 in for updates because Andrew has a lot of work, and I didnt want to wait the amount of time he needed to get to it.

I had a HORRIBLE experience with Tim at EarCandy when I ordered some of his speakers, and Ive also heard WAY too many stories about him not fulfilling cab orders to order one from him...even though his cabs are my favorite cabs that Ive ever played, and Id LOVE to get another one.

Had a similar experience with a custom knife maker, but unfortunately, the guy took money from about 7 people and just vanished...no knife frown.gif.

• Members
Not the case with all small builders... my experience with Black Water Guitars (one man custom shop), was nothing short of amazing. So much so that I ordered another guitar one day after receiving my 7-string.

but BRJ on the other hand, would not deal with again. I'm actually trying to sell my spot now, but I don't think I would be able to with his reputation.

• Members
Not the case with all small builders... my experience with Black Water Guitars (one man custom shop), was nothing short of amazing. So much so that I ordered another guitar one day after receiving my 7-string.

but BRJ on the other hand, would not deal with again. I'm actually trying to sell my spot now, but I don't think I would be able to with his reputation.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

I agree you can get a great guitar or amp that will do the job for any style no prob from regular production stuff. But I sympathize with these guys because a lot of the time these are dream guitars for them; a certain finish/shape/neck carve/other specs that they can't get unless they go custom. While I don't have any custom guitars or amps myself I get what it's like when you know exactly what you want and have to rely on someone else to bring that vision to life. Seems like a really {censored}ty situation to have saved your money and planned your dream guitar only to get screwed, ugh.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

I agree you can get a great guitar or amp that will do the job for any style no prob from regular production stuff. But I sympathize with these guys because a lot of the time these are dream guitars for them; a certain finish/shape/neck carve/other specs that they can't get unless they go custom. While I don't have any custom guitars or amps myself I get what it's like when you know exactly what you want and have to rely on someone else to bring that vision to life. Seems like a really {censored}ty situation to have saved your money and planned your dream guitar only to get screwed, ugh.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Khoifish321 View Post

I agree it's not every small builder out there, I would even say that the VAST majority of them are honest. But on the other hand, there has been enough horror stories to make me hesitate from buying anything from a small builder unless I REALLY know and trust the guy.

As you can see, there are also success stories with BRJ in this thread. It seems like most of these companies start in good standing and build a reputation, then {censored} turns sour and 10s of thousands of dollars are "lost" . It's hard to know for sure and I really can't afford to gamble with that type of cash. Especially with so many great guitars readily available

Quote Originally Posted by '63-Strat View Post
Obviously, I sympathize with those who lost their money too. It's not their fault. frown.gif

I just personally can't take that type of risk. There is something to be said about being able to play a guitar before you buy it or at least knowing it will be delivered in a few days, it can be returned with no issues if you don't like it and any warranty issues would be promptly taken care of.

But I understand the desire for customized gear, of course.

Archived