Jca50H / 100h/ 22h mod thread and owners club

Edge11

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by t-rey View Post
Got my 22h yesterday. So far I am very impressed. I'm still getting used to it and messing around with the eq, but mostly I'm just playing giant HoF style riffs since it pretty much nails that tone. Right now the plan is to aby it with my Blackstar HT-5 but the the only cabs I have are a Marshall 1966b 2x12 for the Blackstar and an old Sunn 4x10 that the Jet City is on. It works fine for now, but the JCA seems to sound better with the 12s and closed back of the Marshall.

So what kind of cabs and/or speakers tend to work well with them? I have been looking at Whitebox a bit for obvious reasons, but thought you guys might have some suggestions.

Also, what sort of preamp tubes work well with it? I have a Tungsol in my Blackstar that worked really well, so I may try those...but thought I would ask here first as well.

Well I basically spent the whole afternoon fucking around with different tubes in my JCA22 Head.

What sounds best to me is:

Sovteck 12ax7wa in V1,2 4 and stick a 5751 in V3. Loving it. V5 also has a Sovteck but I think it is a WB instead of WA...but not 100% for sure on that. I have JJ EL84s as well.

Kick ass amp.....My Blackstar (which I loved dearly) is colecting dust in the computer room.poke.gif

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I spent about half an hour running both amps at once. I am a huge fan of the way they blend together. My wife it not a fan. At all.

How do you feel like the new tubes changed the overall tone? I have only had the chance to play at low volume, but I feel like the tone with the stock tubes is kind of fuzzy and harsh - which is not exactly a bad thing mind you.

And I agree - the JCA makes the Blackstar feel like a toy at times. Running both at once feels more like the Blackstar is adding something to the tone of the JCA instead of two amps blending together.

• Members
I spent about half an hour running both amps at once. I am a huge fan of the way they blend together. My wife it not a fan. At all.

How do you feel like the new tubes changed the overall tone? I have only had the chance to play at low volume, but I feel like the tone with the stock tubes is kind of fuzzy and harsh - which is not exactly a bad thing mind you.

And I agree - the JCA makes the Blackstar feel like a toy at times. Running both at once feels more like the Blackstar is adding something to the tone of the JCA instead of two amps blending together.

Getting the crap chinese tubes out got rid of some FIZZ and made it LESS harsh. Running the 5751 in V3 got rid of more fiz and also cleaned up the crunch channel "slightly" ....it runs 70% of the gain of a 12ax7.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Critical Ninja

View Post

Just got word that my JCA22H shipped yesterday, so I should have it by Tuesday. From the sounds of things here, I better order some new tubes for it...

Yes.....throw the chinese crappola in a shoe box!

• Members

Ok guys I'm going to upload the corrected schematic and the corrected schematic with the s.l.o mods. I installed a nos 12au7 into my v4 slot, I'm going to try it out as soon as I'm done with uploading the schematics.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 67mike View Post
Yes.....throw the chinese crappola in a shoe box!
Actually only replacing 2 or 3 of the preamp tubes is what I would consider "necessary".

I swapped the stock power tubes with both a pair of Sovteks and a pair of JJ's and neither really offered any appreciable difference vs stock.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
Actually only replacing 2 or 3 of the preamp tubes is what I would consider "necessary".

I swapped the stock power tubes with both a pair of Sovteks and a pair of JJ's and neither really offered any appreciable difference vs stock.
What preamp tubes did you like in there?

Also, anybody care to comment on what speakers go well with the Jet City stuff - specifically the 22h? I have realized that the nasty tone I have been hearing is mostly coming from the cab I was using with it. The cab sounded decent on it's own, but when both amps were running at once (through separate cabs, not a stereo cab) it was a nasty buzzy tone, which was still present when I switched the amps and tried again.

Anyways - I found a Marshall 1961b (giant 2x12) local that I may pic up since the JCA seems to do okay with the t75s in my other cab. Any thoughts or suggestions about (cheap) cabs to go well with it?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post

Actually the stock chinese EL84's are pretty hardy....I swapped mine out simply for reliability. I ended up putting one of the chinese EL84's into my bugera V5 combo which is a really hard amp to control tube rattle......the chinese EL84 combined with a JJ ECC81 FIXED that tube rattling little monster!!!! Now, how long it lasts is altogether another story.

I FRICKEN LOVE the JCA 22 head with the tubes I've got into it...JJ EL84's, Sovteck 12ax7wa in V1, V2, V4. NOS USA made 5751 in V3, and Sovteck 12ax7wB in V5......KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

I'm hopefully picking up an old 5150 cab for a nice price to run with my 22h on Friday. They are supposed to sound pretty good with JCA/Soldano type stuff, and the speakers are the Sheffield 1200s which are supposed to be really similar to Greenbacks. Should be a good compliment to the Blackstar/Celestion 75 combo. Can't wait.

I will hopefully be ordering some preamp tubes this week as well to help tame some of the fizzys

• Members
I'm hopefully picking up an old 5150 cab for a nice price to run with my 22h on Friday. They are supposed to sound pretty good with JCA/Soldano type stuff, and the speakers are the Sheffield 1200s which are supposed to be really similar to Greenbacks. Should be a good compliment to the Blackstar/Celestion 75 combo. Can't wait.

I will hopefully be ordering some preamp tubes this week as well to help tame some of the fizzys
Guy local to me has a 5150 cab for asking price of $200............If I didn't have a taylor guitar for my daughter on the way, and a new laptop just bought.....I might be able to afford it......

Am I crazy for not hittin it????confused.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 67mike View Post
Guy local to me has a 5150 cab for asking price of $200............If I didn't have a taylor guitar for my daughter on the way, and a new laptop just bought.....I might be able to afford it......

Am I crazy for not hitting it????confused.gif
I'm not a big fan of the Sheffield I find them a bit muddy. in my 6506 combo I replaced one of the Sheffield with a k-100.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Edge11 View Post
I'm not a big fan of the Sheffield I find them a bit muddy. in my 6506 combo I replaced one of the Sheffield with a k-100.
Thanks.

Good thing too.....wife has had enough of my purchases....time to slooooooow down a bit.cry.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Edge11

View Post

Lame. Hopefully they sound alright with the 22. Anything is better than the cab I am currently using though.

• Members
Lame. Hopefully they sound alright with the 22. Anything is better than the cab I am currently using though.
What is the cab your using?
Btw theres a new jca head comming up after namm.

• Members

Alright I'm going to go to the gym and when I get back I'm going to show two versions (three actually) of the clean crunch switch, one is easy for beginners and the other one is the ay it's done in the slo. I wonder why on the s.l.o mike wired that switch in series instead of parallel (popping perhaps?). I also want to debunk some of the myth surrounding the scoop mod and srv mods.
From what i can gather the scoop mod is a simple t filter (some say there is also a fender style/value bypass capacitor added in one of the cathodes as well.) while the srv mod is the t-filter+ the bypass capacitor+ a change in the tone stack. I'll have to do some poking around to see.

• Members
What preamp tubes did you like in there?

Also, anybody care to comment on what speakers go well with the Jet City stuff - specifically the 22h? I have realized that the nasty tone I have been hearing is mostly coming from the cab I was using with it. The cab sounded decent on it's own, but when both amps were running at once (through separate cabs, not a stereo cab) it was a nasty buzzy tone, which was still present when I switched the amps and tried again.

Anyways - I found a Marshall 1961b (giant 2x12) local that I may pic up since the JCA seems to do okay with the t75s in my other cab. Any thoughts or suggestions about (cheap) cabs to go well with it?
I used a Jet City 2x12 cab with straight up V30s, very impressive sound. I also recommend a Greenback/H30 mix. I tried T75s and ended up not liking them in my 2x12 cab. YMMV. Next up is a V30/ET-65 combo...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sahlomonic View Post
Question about the clean/crunch switch . . .

Is it possible to make that footswitchable? If it requires an additional pedal (like you can do on the HT-100), then I'd be very interested in that. Essentially turning it into a 2.5 channel amp, a la 5150 II.
More like a decatone. you'd probably have to add another relay to the circuit.
I've been researching the scoop mod and I think I got it figured out.

• Members

Tommorow I'll add the Scoop mod if I have the time.
Today I added the clean /crunch mods in ways that are easy to implement for beginners. I think the crunch mod if just done by its self is easy enough that a first time modder can do it. enjoy!
Btw guys who are using boosts what are you using?

• Members

So today Went totally the opposite of how it was supposed to go. The only mods I got done were changing the lead channel to s.l.o spec and changing that plate resistor on the fx look return triode to a 220k. Haven't had a chance to play it to loud but damn, the amp opened up like crazy on the lead channel.

Archived