Jca50H / 100h/ 22h mod thread and owners club

Edge11

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I am so confused by the hovercraft site.. I would like to go and view the amps but its too much like reading a friggin book for me.

I need a 2 channel amp with 2 EL84's hopefully around 15-20 watts, some nice voxey cleans or some other sort of shimmery clean tones , and a nice mid to high-ish gain channel that sounds like a modded JCM800. A tube effects loop would be great. no reverb, no extra shti. It has to take pedals like a hooker takes meat shafts.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Hey everyone

I've bought jca50h yeasterday and I'm realy happy:)) Finaly my setup is stereo

I want to change tubes but first i want to ask you guys about your opinion.

My curent rig: fender tele (sd blackwinter), engl blackmore (jj 6l6), DL412pro v30. Od808 for boost and couple effects in fx loop. Tone is bright, and sharp, realy punchy.

For Jet City I've got 1960a but I thinking about 212 from DL with creambacks. I think that I'm serching for rounded and little darker tone to fill Engl sound.

first, I will do slo mod and depth mod

second, I will change power tubes, so I could put almost new GT6L6R for cheap option or buy new JJ. Maybe something else??

then i will try new preamp tubes. And it will be greate if you could recomend me something. I was thinking about electro harmonix 12ax7 or JJ ecc803 (low noise)for v1 and v2 and 12at7 for v5 rest eec83 JJ

so, What tubes are you recomending? what tubes have you used?

• 4 months later...
  • Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31832157[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31832158[/ATTACH]

Hi Everyone,

I bought a JCA100HDM a week ago. Newest model with the Jet City front panel and Presence and Depth knobs. It was a stupid deal of the day for $499.00 delivered

My first mod was to replace all the tubes. (4) Ruby 6L6GCBSTR matched set and (5) Ruby 12AX7AC5HG+.

Amazing difference. The HG+ are the premium quiet version of the medium gain tubes. I have a set in my Panama Inferno and they work really well there.

Then I did the SLO 100 mod with Warren Haynes and Bright switches.

I used to own a 1991 SLO100 and this is very close. I've only done a preliminary test but I'm digging the amp.

Loud as Fu@k like a SLO but it only goes to 9, not 11.

It has the SLO100 vibe and is close after this mod for 1/8 the price.

Bias is set at 41.6ma.

I removed the blue LED in the middle of the amp...useless.....

Here are the updated and corrected parts list for the Mouser parts and the pots. The old lists need updating.

These are direct replacements and the pots are an exact match. Mouser.com current parts

(2) 71-CCF60-475K-E3 Vishay Metal Film Resistors 475K ½ watt R41 & R42

(1) 75-562RSTSD022 Vishay Ceramic Disc Capacitor 500volts 2200Pf C27

(1) 594-D102K25Y5PL63L6R Vishay Ceramic Disc Capacitor 500volts 1000Pf C21

(1) 71-CCF60-221K-E3 Vishay Metal Film Resistors 221K ½ watt R19

(2) 598-715P47356LD3Cornell Dubilier Film Capacitor 600Volts 47000pF ORANGE DROP C10 & C11

(1) 594-D471K20Y5PL63L6R Vishay Ceramic Disc Capacitor 500 volts 470PF C28

(2) 506-A101SYCQ04 TE Connectivity Toggle Switches

Amprepairparts.com

(2) P-V500KA-M16S Pot, 500K Audio, Short Shaft, 16mm

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I just came here to show off the mod i've done on my JCA50h, and I don't believe there's any talk of this on this topic.

I added a sweep pot (like on krank amps). It was a nice guy on the Official JC group facebook page that told me how to do it.

For the metal-heads like myself it tightens up the amp a fair bit, you can go from a boatload of mids to very scooped. Anyways I'm loving it, if anything i'd say it"s more important on the "to do" list than the depth mod, and equally as easy to do !

On a 50/100h you just have to replace the r24 resistor with a 100k linear pot, on a 22h it's r26 that needs to be replace with the pot and on a 20h it's r21.

Anyways here's a quick video I did.

Boost : MXR M77 od in front.

Pickups : BKP WARPIG alnico V

Cab : jca24S+ with V30

Mic : Tbone MB75

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Is this thread still active? Some pretty rad mods going on here, anyone have any pics of the mods they have done?

I recently have done a couple and will be posting pics soon! Just wanted to say hi all!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

New member here. Proud owner of an JCA 22H. Its an great amp!

Only have 2 mods on it. Depth mode and channel switch. I think it sounds great.

I cant get the simple clean channel mod to work? Have read all the forum and could not find an answer? To i need to change the gain pot to a 1m pot to get this to work?

Here is how my amp sounds (Depth mod test)

Here is how the amp sounds in a mix

What mod do you think is the best for the JCA 22H?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hello everyone,

I found this thread and I'm going to upgrade my Jet City. A few questions.

I will be doing a basic slo conversion mod and a clean/crunch switch. 

1 - The original slo100 C27 capacitor is 2nF, the one posted here is 2,2nF. Does this make a noticeable difference?

2 - I want to put a channel switch, does this image make sense? The black and white cables to FS are the toggle switch.

Photo-2017-04-27-16-27-33_6714.thumb.jpg.ae08e0950585b268cd95523c5ff6068f.jpg

Thank you very much! Really helpfull thread!

• Members

I bought a 1W resistors for R41, R42 and R19, but they seem to be smaller than the stock ones. Will I have problems with this? It's necessary to use 2W resistors?

Thanks!

PD: Finally I did the mod using 1w resistors and it's working.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived