Dumb Question: What jack should I get for my 1x15

khastra_ksc

• Members

Hola!

I am almost done with my 1x15 cab, but I can't figure out what kind of input jack to get for the back pannel, or where the best place is to get one.

I did check out the list or links, and did a quick search... but just got a little overwhelemed 'cause I have never done this before.

I have been hanging around www.parts-express.com, but there's an awful lot to choose from.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

• Members

2fer $3.99 @ Rat Shack. Then you'll have a spare. Trust me. If you're already a DIY'er you are afflicted with PRS (pack rat syndrome). If you're just getting into it make sure you find space for your PRS aquisitions. Me I don't have a problem. I can quit collecting things anytime I want.

• Members

I still think any Switchcraft product is still the best. That connects you to a lot of equipment out there already. Using a recessed plate is best, and easier to build. If you want your cabinet to be versatile, I'd use a quarter inch and a pin connector. You don't want to have some high tech superstar hanging around with some bytes of pocket amp that he can't plug in to play, making you miss the party. I'd consider having two parallel inputs for each, so you can link with other cabinets. You might want to add a couple of tens for your fifteen, getting clearer mids, so that's another reason to have a link.

You're not saying anything about wire. Grab some gold stereo wire and get some there. That's by far the best.

If you're wondering about inputs, you might not know anything about square footage of interior space versus the size of your speaker. Is your cabinet big or ventilated? You might need to learn about port placement or you can slowly blow your speaker.

as always, John Watt

• Members
And "gold stereo wire" is overkill. Hugely so.

:thu::thu: 18 awg lamp cord is fine. 16 awg if you have a very high power system. Realistically the only time the gold is called for is extremely high humidity environments where corrosion is a concern. But unless you go all gold, jacks, plugs and everything you don't gain anything there either. As you go along you'll find what works best for you. I've had bad luck with Switchcraft and Neutrik products. Radio Shack stuff works for me. It's a Chevy vs. Ford vs. Honda thing. In your case I'd put the same thing in that whatever you're gonna hook up to has. Recessed jack plates are also nice if you have a back panel that is flush. I like to recess the back panel of my cabs 1/2" to do the same thing. Then I make a jack plate out of some scrap 18 ga. mild steel I have in my PRS pile. I'm a cheap b@$t@%d and proud of it.

• Members

How much power will the amp that you drive this cab with have? You may want to consider the Neutrik NL series to prevent smoking an amp in case of an accidental short. Such as might be caused by accidentally unplugging the cab while the amp is still on.

Archived