Taking inventory

Belva

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw those & considered it. But it doesn't really give the look I want. Now I'm definately going for the old hotrod look. Part of my motivation is to use up the pack ratted stuff I have. The gold I had one can. Not quite enough. I do still have lots of the high build primer as I also have a running truck project. I have some flat black enamel to do a racing stripe and the abs for a p/g & cover plate. I don't want to spend any more $$ if possible. I'm right at a bill now. I'll be using Minwax satin poly topcoat. That's left over from the neck on my last guitar project. I have about 1.5 cans of it left. I'll then have room to start pack ratting more stuff! But I don't have a problem.

• Members

Whoa, wait a sec here! Is the pickguard and rear panel cover made from the linoleum you mentioned before? It looks more like formica counter top laminate. At first glance, it reminded me of anti-skid stuff like used on skateboards and stairs, but it's a bit shinier than that stuff.

Great lookin' pup! :love: :love: :love:

• Members

First, I'm glad you like my shop helper. She's all growed up now & a very good girl. 40 lbs of attitude. For tape I used 1" 3M painters tape with 1/4" fine line tape down the center. Around here the fine line stuff is only available at automotive paint stores. The p/g material is from a scrap of textured ABS plastic I had, you guessed it, packratted away from another project. It's perfect for the over all look I'm after. And it cuts with tin snips. I'd like to run some motorcycle style exhaust pipes from the pickups toward the bridge area. I still don't have a clue what to use or how to do this. Kat came up with an idea to make knobs out of some model wheels. That is a definate will do. The guitar still has to be playable, so the pipes may not happen.

• Members

Well I finally got around to posting some pics of the whole pack!

These are our 2 Rotts at like 3 1/2 months... Left - Diesel, Right - Max. They are from the same litter...

4078411082_a08d6e6f2d.jpg

This is our one Beagle or as we call her the Bagel, Harley. She is insane. She wrestles the big dogs and usually wins too...

4078425884_af26a46fef.jpg

Our normal sized Shepherd King. He is such a whiney ass, like all shepherds.

4078425866_7893a7ab1b.jpg

And this... well this is Duke... If there was a toy shepherd breed he would be it. We got him to do S & R training with, as I am a Volunteer Firefighter and EMT, but he was inbread... so, he has some spinal problems and can't do that, but is just so happy about life...

4077672797_388fd02983.jpg

Just for the humor value.. I was doing a setup the other night for a friend of mine that was over and jammin for a bit. I turned around and Diesel was sitting here, taking the 'Boss' position. lol.. I said what are you doing and he just groaned and barked like 'Get back to work!!'. Such a slave driver!

4078425842_014252d24c.jpg

We have one other beagle/greyhound mix but I don't have any good pics of her right now...

At any time I usually have 3-4 of these guys in my shop at a time. They have 3 beds along the one wall that they lay on and actually are very gentle and know better than play around instruments...

• Members

You have no idea... I can't even make a lunch meat sandwhich for myself with out pyring eyes... lol... and they all get in a line and sit and wait.. they know if they come up and bother me they wont get anything but if they are good and wait I will give them each a piece of bread with cheese and bologna or ham... lmao

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
campguitar012.jpg
campguitar014.jpg
campguitar016.jpg
I finally finished this beast. I decided not to do stripes. With this pickguard it would just be too much IMO. Hey John Watt, I started this project about a month after you & your "new paradigm" guitar first showed up here. All I have left is the typical fine tuning that's needed on any new build. But it plays good, sounds good & looks cool. And we STILL haven't seen your piece of {censored} completed. WTF? In layman's terms that means what the {censored}? Are you lacking the skills to finish it? If so, GET DA PHUCK OUTTA HERE! You don't belong.

• Members

Nice Job CT. Can you post a few open chords (not a song) so we can hear, maybe just plug into your sound card so we can hear it clean? if You use the Mic input and turn the volume down it should sound half way decent then just record like 20 seconds so we have an idea.

• Members

WRG, thanks for the tip on recording. I'll see what I can do. This one sounds HUGE! I think the soft wood took the high end edge off of the Dream 180 pups. BTW I ordered a Kne body to replace the hardtail conversion on the Brunzwik. I'll always know the current body has fill pieces and I just can't let that go on. Brings up another question. The body is a rear route and I'll be hard mounting three sc pups. I have zero experience with hard mount pups. Do you just cut blocks of wood to get the height you need? Surgical tube?

• Members

WRG, thanks for the tip on recording. I'll see what I can do. This one sounds HUGE! I think the soft wood took the high end edge off of the Dream 180 pups. BTW I ordered a Kne body to replace the hardtail conversion on the Brunzwik. I'll always know the current body has fill pieces and I just can't let that go on. Brings up another question. The body is a rear route and I'll be hard mounting three sc pups. I have zero experience with hard mount pups. Do you just cut blocks of wood to get the height you need? Surgical tube?

Build looks great!

On to your next question. There are two ways I know of.

Direct mounted to a block of wood with the pup screwed down tight. The only adjustment there would be shimming the pup.

Or you could mount the pup over a block of springy foam. Then screw the pup into the wood. That will give you a small range of adjustment, the foam acts as a spring. This is a pretty standard method for mounting pups without a PG or rings. My epi bass is actually configured this way.

Not sure if the mounting you use will affect tone at all though, but for the ease of setting up the guitar, and tweaking the setup i'd go with the foam method.

• Members

Theres a few other ways. Like my telecaster neck pup, you can use a wood screw that spins freely through the pickup hole then a spring on the screw between the wood and the pup. Surgival tubing would be the same thing.

Gibson Deluxe guitars with mini humbuckers or P100s did it a littel different. They put a threaded flat piece of metal at the bottom and used machine screws through it to adjust height of the pups. Any of these including the cut up mouse pads Mr Brown mentioned will work. I kinda think the sprongs may be the best if you want maximum sound transfer, the pads or tubing may absorb a littel vibration but could be good if the pups have microphonics issues.

• Members

So the foam would have to be something harder than neoprene & softer than styrofoam? I'm not sure where to look for this type of material but it sounds like the best option. After taking inventory I know I don't have anything in my PRS stash. I do have copious amounts of wood. And once I determine ideal pup height I generally leave them set. This build was dirt cheap and I have some work now. So my next one will get a nice set of pups. I'm thinking about the GFS lil killers. And, damn it, I just got a new mouse pad & threw the old one away. First rule of packratting: NEVER throw anything away!

• Members

So the foam would have to be something harder than neoprene & softer than styrofoam? I'm not sure where to look for this type of material but it sounds like the best option. After taking inventory I know I don't have anything in my PRS stash. I do have copious amounts of wood. And once I determine ideal pup height I generally leave them set. This build was dirt cheap and I have some work now. So my next one will get a nice set of pups. I'm thinking about the GFS lil killers. And, damn it, I just got a new mouse pad & threw the old one away. First rule of packratting: NEVER throw anything away!

I had to replace the foam on my epi bass and I had some medium density egg crate style packing foam. It worked just fine. Any thing that's firm enough to keep the pup from moving but not so firm that it strains the pup mounts will be fine.

Archived