Experimental guitar

Dark Ice

• Members

Greetings Harmony Central DIY forum!

What would you say to a guitar made out of chipboard??

Ok, well, we did that 4 years ago. Thats old news. We were looking for a crazier project, so what would you say to a hollow guitar with a plywood topwood, A JB, Two single coils, a P90, lots of LEDs, 4 pickup selectors and a switch which does not work???

• Members

Epiphone DOT is a plywood guitar. Soak it, bend it, attatch it to a 2x4 in the center and you're good to go. Really though, thin 1/8" plywood doesnt sound that bad. Its just finding some that is high quality and doesnt have knot holes and air gaps and all. I can find the birch stuff at Home depot and its not too bad. A littel soft though.

You could always try masonite like they build Dan Electros out of. Its a bit harder material and easier to paint the smooth side. I'm surprised someone hasnt tried a plexiglass hollobody too. Use acrylic paints and you're in business. But some LED's inside maybe with a clear build?

• Members

Plywood tops aint nuttin' new. It's been going on ever since man invented plywood. There was even a "new paradigm" guitar awhile back around here. But that brings up bad memories. Hollow plexi is a new direction. Vacuum forming can produce interesting stuff. Not really plexiglass, but a type of plastic. Blow molding would be doable. Injection molding as well. All methods could be used to produce a hollow electric. Now that would be a new paradigm. BTW am I risking a ban using that phrase?

• Members

So it's ALL been done. I'm sure titanium has been used. I know advanced composite a.k.a. carbon fiber has been used. Some of the carbon fiber acoustics actually sound good. Anyone made a guitar out of dog poop? Nah. Probably sound like {censored}!

• Members

I saw a guy online who makes aluminum acoustics. I've seen fiberglass, and I have used hardware store paneling.

Laminated tops are usually regarded as cheap, inferior. However they may be preferable in situations where you don't want the top to move so much, such as live playing where feedback can be a problem. I doubt they harm the electric sound that much.

In one of the luthier forums, there are a lot of experienced, talented builders who are all about eeeking out that last one percent of tone. I was surprised to see some of them now experimenting with double tops, carbon fiber laminates under the wood, and some honeycomb material. Those guys are usually the last ones to get on to the "something new" boat.

• Members

plywood = wood + glue + cheap

most guitars are wood + glue anyway

musicdog400, IME the last ones to try anything new are electric guitar builders; acoustic and electric bass builders are light years ahead of the boring Strat/LP cloner crowd.

• Members

You did not invent anything new John!!! All you have done is make a guitar which I have yet to hear plugged in, so it basically is an acoustic guitar with a tremolo that has a squeaky trem arm and has really dumb orca stickers on it. You are an old kook that needs to stay off the DIY forums...

Archived