Nut for stratocaster

ARThriller

• Members

The tools will pay for themselves in 2 nut jobs.

Yup, even though they are a an expensive tool they are well worth it.

And nut action IMO is crucial to the playability/tone of a guitar. Seems to be over looked by most players who do their own setup ups. Tweaking it to your own liking is worth the price of admission and frustration of learning.

• Members

Yup, even though they are a an expensive tool they are well worth it.

And nut action IMO is crucial to the playability/tone of a guitar. Seems to be over looked by most players who do their own setup ups. Tweaking it to your own liking is worth the price of admission and frustration of learning.

This X 1000! When I first came here I had yet to do a nut. Hell, I could barely change strings! I was encouraged by mrbrown here as well as others. It only seems intimidating. You can do this. Next thing you know you'll be doing fret jobs, finding broken guitars to fix and who knows what. Good folks here.

• Members

Tele - That online metal shop is awesome. Just to get some custom cut stainless sheet that I can use as a chassis base for amps. Great stuff there man.

Just to make a point, I got this metal shop link from this forum. PTFA and you can learn a lot! See my last post here and you'll see what I mean. now, will the stuff I linked work for nuts? WRG where TF are you?

• Members

My only concern would be the width and thickness of the one you linked to. A normal nut blank is around 2 1/4" long x 1/2" tall x .230" thick, the one you linked to was only .125" thick x .375" tall x whatever you have them cut them at. I found one here, that more closely replicates the thickness and height of the blanks that I normally use. That is the thing though, those sizes are from nuts that I use. If yours are close to the size of the brass then yea I think we got ourselves a good thing here. I like the fact that you can buy it in 1' lengths or go down and order 10 at 2.25" just as easy.

• Members

I agree. I was wide asleep at that point. And some Gibson types would need something fatter. Just seems like a good price. The customer who keeps needing nut work wants to try brass. He's dead set against a roller or a floyd conversion. I think regular nut files will work?

• Members

I too am a pack-rat. I'll buy a few feet. This customer was one of my first and I'm trying to save him some $$. A new nut every 8 months? 2 years would be better. So, why am I throwing away revenue like that? BTW he also likes his #3 & #4 strings spaced apart so he can't use a pre-slotted nut. I charge $50 for a nut job (girls downtown only charge $40):lol:. Should I go $60 for this harder material? In the mean time I cut a piece of plastic & glued it to the bottom to raise his nut a bit. so it doesn't have to be done before next weekend's gig.

Pls, no jokes about gluing something to the guy's bottom!:cop:

• Members

Now here is a question for ya. I charge $60+ strings, to cut a new nut and do a full setup and cleaning. Now if I were to do a brass nut don't you think I could reasonably charge like $70 or $75??? I figure if you don't need to get it changed for the life of the guitar for the most part it has a higher value, or am I getting greedy there?

• Members

Seems like we have the same question. I'm thinking we're not greedy. If the customer pays less in the long run you've lost money. It's kinda like paying $40 for shoes that last 6 months or paying $100 for some that last 3 years.

But what do other techs do?

• Members

I have a corian nut on my warmoth and use the trem all the time and I've never had a problem with sticking - sounds good too (not that there's that much tonal difference relative to pickups or fingers...
:rolleyes:
).

I'm considering Corian as I have a big chunk left from a kitchen remodel. Nothing worse than a cheap b@$t@%d who's also a pack-rat.

• Members

Now here is a question for ya. I charge $60+ strings, to cut a new nut and do a full setup and cleaning. Now if I were to do a brass nut don't you think I could reasonably charge like $70 or $75??? I figure if you don't need to get it changed for the life of the guitar for the most part it has a higher value, or am I getting greedy there?

That's a fair price. Consider that cutting the string slots and shaping a brass nut is more time consuming than bone or whatever else. It's also harder on your files. TW

• Members

Hardly cheapskate. Corian is a solid nut choice. And you have it stocked already. Seems to me the path of least resistance is apparent.

How do I sell it to my customers? Put one on one of my guitars and let them try it? Then give them a 5 buck break?

Archived