what kind of p.a. setup do you guys use for acoustic gig's?

smitty0069

• Members

Me & a couple buddy's are wanting to gig a little doing just some acoustic stuff consisting of vocals(3) & gtr.'s(2).However we could at times add some sequenced backing tracks & or an acoustic bass & drums.What kind of setup do you guys use?Any & all recommendations are welcome.Thanks,Smitty

• Members

The main thing is a Dawn 510 satellite sub-woofer system. It sounds great and eliminates the need for monitors. Recorded music sounds very good...acoustic guitars and vocals sound very natural. Very portable too.

Who I'm playing with determines which powered mixer I bring. I have a 6-channel cheapo (sound tech), an 8-channel (Dawn) that folds up and has some FX (I use this the most), and a 12-channel (Yamaha) that I'm using more and more. Sometimes it's just my wife and I (1 guitar and 2 vocals)...sometimes our band (guitar, bass, drums, and 4 vocals). I've even used it (Dawn) for a one-time deal with 2 guitars, keys, drums, sax, mandoline, bass, and 3 vocals. Not perfect but better than I expected.

Mics are nothing special (Samson 3-pack (R-21)) and I use those 20 ft. mic cables from musiciansfriend (I've spent anywhere from $2.99 to $4.99 for those.)

I've found that setting the Dawn system up behind us keeps us from getting too loud and intrusive. We've mostly played restaurants, coffee houses, and nursing homes/hospitals with it. It also has some bar and church gigs (bigger rooms) under its belt and has worked out well (no problem being loud enough).

John

Here's a link about the Dawn system.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161766

• Members

Thanks WGH, I actually have a thread in the Live Sound & Production forum asking how this particular system works for the acoustic coffee house type gigs.Seems to be a very viable setup.The small package & quality sound are just the ticket for this type of situation.I'm also looking at the yorkville nx350's,......then I can use them for monitors in my other band,but we're already equipped w/ monitors(although not great sounding),so at twice the $$ I'm a little undecided at the moment.Well thanks again,Smitty

• Members

The Peavey XR600F is a killer little powered mixer and can be found lightly used on ebay for about $300. I saw a mint condition XR600F go for under 3 bills a couple months ago. It's recently been replaced by the XR600G, so that might put the price down even more. I think it would work well with the dawn system or a pair of decent 12/horn boxes.

My advice would be not to look into buying the Fender Passport. It's more like a glorified boombox than a PA system. It has its place for small public speaking events and maybe a panflute performance in a mall, but it isn't idea for a couple of acoustic guitars and vocals.

EDIT: regarding the Fender Passport, I speak from experience. It's not as bad as I make it out to be, but there are definitely better choices.

• Members
Originally posted by J.

The Peavey XR600F is a killer little powered mixer and can be found lightly used on ebay for about $300. I saw a mint condition XR600F go for under 3 bills a couple months ago. It's recently been replaced by the XR600G, so that might put the price down even more. I think it would work well with the dawn system or a pair of decent 12/horn boxes.

My advice would be not to look into buying the Fender Passport. It's more like a glorified boombox than a PA system. It has its place for small public speaking events and maybe a panflute performance in a mall, but it isn't idea for a couple of acoustic guitars and vocals.

EDIT: regarding the Fender Passport, I speak from experience. It's not as bad as I make it out to be, but there are definitely better choices.

Thanks J.

• Members
Originally posted by SurrealMcCoy

I have a small setup consisting of 2 Yamaha MS-400 active cabs (each has a 15" & horn) & a 4-space rack w/ Rolls RMX203 mixer, verb, BBE, tube pre amp & compressor (it all fits).
:)

Thanks SurrealMcCoy.Sounds like a conveniant setup to haul around.

• Members

I've heard good things about Bose P.A. systems...I go to the Bose store in Williamsburg, VA a lot.Got our TV from Bose, got a lifestyles system too.Great stuff there....expensive, but top of the line.They make great noiseproof headphones i've got a set, but they run at $150 I think.

• Members

My acoustic rig has been years in the making. I am very anal about sound so I try hard to find right combos of gear. 4 SRM450s and two SWA1801s make the front of house and two SRM450s make the stage, all in stereo. For smaller gigs, I use just two SRM450s for FOH and one for stage. I mix through a Behringer MX1604A because I like the eq better than Mackies. I use an AT4040 or AT3035 for ocasional stuff unplugged but almost have to all but eliminate the stage mix as the mics are too hot. I allways use Behringer Ultragain Mic 100 tube preamps for plugin guitars. This makes for an expensive set up for two guitar players but it sounds great. The SRM450s pull it all together sound wise and the subs are an added plus for lower alternate tunings.

• Members
Originally posted by EvilHippy

I've heard good things about Bose P.A. systems...I go to the Bose store in Williamsburg, VA a lot.Got our TV from Bose, got a lifestyles system too.Great stuff there....expensive, but top of the line.They make great noiseproof headphones i've got a set, but they run at $150 I think.

Thanks for the input EvilHippy.The Bose stuff looks attractive do to the small size.I do have some trouble w/ their prices though.At their prices I always find myself looking at other stuff that would integrate into my other bands existing p.a. setup as well,........which always leads me to looking at something cheaper for this application :D

• Members
Originally posted by OlsonYairiLust

My acoustic rig has been years in the making. I am very anal about sound so I try hard to find right combos of gear. 4 SRM450s and two SWA1801s make the front of house and two SRM450s make the stage, all in stereo. For smaller gigs, I use just two SRM450s for FOH and one for stage. I mix through a Behringer MX1604A because I like the eq better than Mackies. I use an AT4040 or AT3035 for ocasional stuff unplugged but almost have to all but eliminate the stage mix as the mics are too hot. I allways use Behringer Ultragain Mic 100 tube preamps for plugin guitars. This makes for an expensive set up for two guitar players but it sounds great. The SRM450s pull it all together sound wise and the subs are an added plus for lower alternate tunings.

Sounds like a great setup that would serve a # of purposes & band styles. I'm thinking of something along these lines that would allow me to use my stuff as monitors in my classic rock/top40 band.Just can't decide if I want to give up that much $$.Our sound man uses a Yorkville system that has the RCF drivers that the Mackies now use.This is high quality stuff.Thanks for the input,Smitty

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by J.

The Peavey XR600F is a killer little powered mixer and can be found lightly used on ebay for about $300. I saw a mint condition XR600F go for under 3 bills a couple months ago. It's recently been replaced by the XR600G, so that might put the price down even more. I think it would work well with the dawn system or a pair of decent 12/horn boxes..

I'll second the recommendation on the Peavey XR600 series powered mixers. I like them so much I've got two. For acoustic music they've got good sound and sufficient power. One with a pair of 12" or 15" cabs will fill a modest club. They're a little light if you're a hard core metal head but, that's not what we're talking about. Quality of sound will vary with the quality of the boxes. Upper level JBL's sound cleaner than Peavey's or Yamaha's (I've tried them all). The downside is that there's no good way to get a separate monitor mix. The upside is that they're light (under 40 pounds), built like tanks, simple to hook up, and have a nice selection of useable effects. You can get them either in rack mountable configuration or tolex covered box with a handle.

The Preacher

• Members

Originally posted by OlsonYairiLust

Thats kinda similar to my band's set up.

We use two SRM450s mixed by a Berhinger 1622FX-PRO and two smaller JBL Eon (forgot the model number) for monitors which we kinda have on permanent loan fromour church. We need to upgrade those and buy some new ones ourselves though. We also use Berhinger DI-Boxes and Feedback Destroyer....I think the singer (who is the one with the money) is gonna be picking up a rack EQ soon.

Of course thats our small set up for some gigs and practice...our guy that does recording brings his big rig whenever we play gigs usually and records us via 32 track aDAT through a mackie board of some sort. We still use the SRMs though no matter what.....those are some awesome speakers.

• Members

My set-up works great for both my solo gigs and trio gigs.

Starts ouit with a Carvin PA1200 powered mixer (12 channels, 3 X 333 watts @ 4 ohms/200 watts @ 8 ohms)...an excellent powered mixer that has been very dependable. Mics are Shure SM-58s.

For years I've used a pair of 12" + horn boxes for "mains"(FOH), but recently due to spinal problems I've gone to using a pair of 10" + horn boxes (15# lighter, same 200 watt per rating) and a pair of subs (a local company has given me a pair of their prototype "bazooka" subs...rated @ 600 watts @ 4 ohms, which is quite a bit more power potential than I need, but they sound great and weigh 37#, as opposed to my (former, now for sale) Cerwin-Vega B-36 monsters that weigh 130# and are the size of a small 'fridge!)...two sets of monitors -one pair of powered "hot-spots" and a pair of passive 10" + horn floor wedges.

For solo gigs, I use the mains on stands and the 'bazookas' at the base of the stands, one of each assigned to power amp A & one of each assigned to power amp B, and one of the floor wedges assigned to power amp C.

For trio gigs, I use the whole set-up, w/ the floor wedges (powered by "C" of the Carvin's internal amps) on each side of the percussionist , and the powered hot-spots (on mic stands) run off of the line-out, for my bassist/harmony vox and I.

Everything fits into the trunk of an average-sized car!

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

My set-up works great for both my solo gigs and trio gigs.

Cerwin-Vega B-36 monsters that weigh 130# and are the size of a small 'fridge!)...two sets of monitors -one pair of powered "hot-spots" and a pair of passive 10" + horn floor wedges.

Everything fits into the trunk of an average-sized car!

Terry what's an Average~Sized Car these day's in Texas??

Oh !!! That's a Texans Car like in Cowboy Cadillac ....

compacts=3/4 ton , mide size=1 ton, Full size = Daully

Sorry Buddy, I saw the Humor in that ....But a Nice sounding Rig none the Less

• Members

Originally posted by SteveO

Terry
what's an Average~Sized Car these day's in Texas??

I drive a firebird;)

The biggest car Ive ever had was Jeep Cherokee. And yes, Im your average sized Texan....6'4" 245lbs :D

• Members

Originally posted by J.

Our town community center has a Fender Passport PD-250. It's just as you say: OK for one or two people and their instruments, but if you load it up in all 6 inputs and go for any volume, it begins to clip badly.

• Members

Originally posted by SteveO

Terry
what's an Average~Sized Car these day's in Texas??

LOL...BUSTED! (However, you left off the steer horns in place of a hood ornament!)

Yeah, I drive a Ford F-150 as a rule, but I used my wife's car (a mid-sized Chevy) a few days ago (she was helping her idiot brother move and needed my truck) and through VERY careful packing, it all fit.

Admittedly, there wasn't much room left over...

Yeah, I'm very happy with it...sounds good and is less wear on the ol' sacrililiac! :D

Archived