What are the tonal properties of birch?

kwakatak

• Members

I posted another thread about Vagabond travel guitars. Their most striking feature is that they are made with laminated birch back/sides. I'm told that this little has a surprisingly full sound - with very little bass of course. Is this because of the use of birch?

That seems unusual to me. What are the tonal properties of birch? I'm guessing it's cheap to use since these trees are common in the NY/NJ/PA area which is near where these guitars are made. Are there any other 'common' woods that have been used in luthery, or are they better-suited to just making cheap furniture? :confused:

• Members

The tonal characteristics of Birch are very much like Oak: very reflective (bright & punchy), strong fundamentals, short sustain and virtually no overtones.

Maple is warmer, sweeter and more resonant than birch, with longer sustain.

Pre-war Stellas and other inexpensive guitars were often made entirely of Birch or Oak due to its low cost and plentiful supply. These small 0-size guitars are very punchy, great for a classic blues attack and response. With their ladder-bracing, these guitars have a "boxy" sound, more often than not.

There sure is no mistaking a Birch guitar with a well-made modern Rosewood, Mahogany or Maple guitar, which will ring and sing, to varying degrees, in comparison.

Mike

Archived