2.5ch preamp build

Zozobra

• Members

I'll rephrase. I hate re-doing layouts. The first one I didnt wont fly with the new schematic so its back to the drawing board. I should probably save myself a lot of time and effort by making my own eyelet board rather than trying to shoehorn stuff on tag board.

Cheers man. We really made a mess of that recording. All done live with not much time to set up and get things done. Took an age to mix out all the bad.

I use turrets, but I make my boards to fit the intended layout. If you make your own eyelet boards, that would be the way to go.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If I'm still scratching my head by the weekend trying to get everything on these two tag boards I may well go with making my own eyelet board. I've heard lots of arguments about eyelet vs turret. Certainly eyelet is cheaper and some say that they make better electrical connections too. Not sure what to believe there.

• Members

If I'm still scratching my head by the weekend trying to get everything on these two tag boards I may well go with making my own eyelet board. I've heard lots of arguments about eyelet vs turret. Certainly eyelet is cheaper and some say that they make better electrical connections too. Not sure what to believe there.

I think either work equally well it's just a matter of what you like to work with.

• Members

Y'know I think I'll try this eyelet business. Dumb question but whats the best way to flange them?

This is for turrets but the flanging is done the same way. Just make a pointed tool like in the photos and gently tap them if you have no press.

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff243/Casey4s/Basic%20Turret%20Board%20Construction/?start=all&paginator=top

• Members

I can see how doing a layout is easier and tidier with them and ultimately a nice clean build is worth a little extra cost. If I ever do a hiwatt clone I might go tag. One of the places I source my parts from does a generic 30x2 turret board with extra holes to add turrets for pretty cheap so I may use that for a 20W build I'm doing for a friend.

• Members

Looks good! It seems there have been some nice updates to the package since I installed it. May have to upgrade.

I downloaded a bunch of custom components from the Hoffman site, whch really made this a lot easier. I did create a few of my own too. This is the first CAD I have been able to use, once I got started it went really well.

• Members

Cool, I'll check that out.

Starting to get somewhere with this layout now. First attempt wasnt efficient enough. I intend to get everything on a 200x70 mm board.

When I do a layout for a turret/eyelet board I lay it all out on paper on graph paper at 1:1 so I know all the componets are going to fit as intended. Then it maks stuffing the actual board go really fast with less errors. 200x70 is roughly 2.75" x 8", it should do fine.

I am looking forward to seeing how your boost stage works out.

• Members

I'm doing that using a vector art package. Everything is to scale so there shouldnt be any nasty surprises. Its a pain in the ass measuring everything but its better than getting the layout wrong.

Me too. I dont know if it'll work where it is but I guess I'll find out soon enough. If it doesnt work out then I'll stick it before the TS on the dirty channel.

• Members

Nearly done. All thats left to shoe horn on the board:

Bridge rectifier and reservoir cap.

Heater reference

DC supply for the relays - bridge recto, 4700uf cap and a voltage regulator.

The relay supply is tapped off the heaters. Would it be sensible to reference the heaters across the BR? The recto has the two ~ from the heater winding and the -ve terminal is grounded too so I could put the reference resistors from the ~ to the grounded -ve perhaps. If this doesnt make sense I'll rustle up a diagram.

• Members

I'll be referencing the heaters to ground for now, I should haven mentioned that. If its noisy then I'll think about elevating them. So the heaters and the relay will be referenced to (the same) ground. I'm hoping this will be fine.

• Members

Put the final order for bits in today. I still need a few WO6 bridge rectifiers but I can source those locally. All the parts should start turning up soon :D

I may cop out and put the relay power supply on a little piece of strip board rather than try and squeeze it on the main board.

• Members
Put the final order for bits in today. I still need a few WO6 bridge rectifiers but I can source those locally. All the parts should start turning up soon
:D

I may cop out and put the relay power supply on a little piece of strip board rather than try and squeeze it on the main board.

Glad to see you are getting started with this build

I am going to do the separate board thing myself so it doesn't tie up real estate on the board.

Archived