2.5ch preamp build

Zozobra

• Members

On the clean channel I'm getting a very feint (and distorted) output with everything dimed. Nothing from the lead other then hum.

Just gone over the cathode and plate voltages and written then down and they're all looking sensible.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tonight I will try this:

Gonna bypass the relay switching (the pins are on sockets) and I'm going to jump from the back of the 1st stage after the coupling cap somewhere to the input of the output stage so I'm bypassing as much as possible. If I get nothing then there is a problem with the input/output and I dont have to worry about pots or switching cocking things up.

I need to replace the LM7806 with a 7805, bought the wrong part :facepalm: was never going to get enough volts from a rectified heater winding for a 6v regulator.

• Members

Found error one: input socket wired the wrong way :faceplam:

The clean is passing signal but the lead isnt. The treble and volume control work as expected but im not sure about the mid and bass as with both on zero they cut all signal. The MV is wired backwards too. I got places to be tonight so this is a job for tomorrow but I at least know it isnt totally cocked.

• Members

It's going to be something dumb like a pot wired wrong or something is shorted/grounded.

Tomorrow I'll go with my original plan of jumping the input stage straight to the output stage to see if that makes a sensible sound. I'll then move through each stage until things get screwy.

I missed out on a decent o-scope on ebay today. went for

• Members

A ha! I have took off the relay switching and manually jumped to the output. The clean channel works and the pots work as you'd expect. Its very clean and glassy - could do with more bass. apparently this is an issue with split input stage amps but the large bypass cap should have taken care of that. needs tweaking

The MV is very sensitive. The signal off the clean may be too hot.

The lead is very quiet and doesnt overdrive. This may be because of the 470k resistor going into the gain pot and the wiper then having a probably superfluouss 68k grid resistor. I'll remove those to see what happens. Could just be that my switching circuit is a bag of dicks. Probing with a sine wave shows the signal pre v2b tp be much weaker than what goes into the TS of the clean.

• Members

Turned out it was a bad join to the input of the gain pot!

It lives! It lives! :D

I need to play with the interstage attenuation levels on the lead channel as it isnt gainy enough. Currently getting a moderate crunch with the lead controls dimed so it needs to be hotter. I may bring the 3rd stage cathode resisitor down to 10k too.

Overall its bright and it needs taming a litte and the bass content needs to go up on both channels.

• Members

Okay so I jumped the clean channel to the output manually with a crocodile clip and it sounds great. Must be gremlins lurking in the switching circuit.

The lead needs some work as it isnt really clipping all that much although with three stages perhaps I'm expecting too much :idk:

• Members

It all works now :D

Made a few tweaks to the lead:

Changed R17 from 100K to 220K for more output swing, also removed C13.

Changed R22 from 39K to 10K so I get more gain but still coldish clipping.

Tonally its 95% of what I was gunning for. There will be a few tweaks to come but not just yet.

• Members

So I have been tweaking this:

Output coupling cap (c19) 47n > 220n

Removed c10 and c11.

changed c13 treble cut anode bypass to 500p but I want to try a few different values

increased r17 to 220k

Changed R22 to 10k

next i'm going to change c1 to 10 or 47u to fully cathode bypass the input stage as I'm still struggling for low end. may increasd c9 to 47n too.

The amp is pretty quiet so I'm happy there although there is a lot of noise from engaging the boost and I cant put my finger on where its coming from. It works pretty well after the lead TS too which I was surprised by to be truthful. I may go with a bit of a more cold clipping feel to the boost, say 10k or more, this will bring the gain down a bit which will make it a bit more manageable too hopefully.

I'm going to try a DI recording with some impulses. I've never really tried these so wish me luck :lol:

• Members

I'm converging on something that I'm happy with now. I still have some noise in the boost stage though so I'm going to try and work out where that is coming from.

Updated schematic:

preamp_rev_6_tweak.png

big print edition

Its quite a bit different in a few places now. The lead tone stack is a little wacky perhaps but it sounds good. Dont know if it'll cut in a mix though :idk: Also there is a 500p anode bypass cap on R13 too.

The MV is sufficient for my interface and the fx return of my A15 but it doesnt have enough juice to power my speed twin to full output for some reason. the speed twin does have an SS loop and it might be more suited to rack gear perhaps? I'll work something out when I've got the rest of it right.

Archived