what are the acoustic forum's favorite electric bluesmen?

EvilTwin

• Members

I love talking about Son House, Robert Johnson, Charlie Patton and Big Bill Broonzy as much as anyone...but I was just wondering which electric bluesmen you guys are into?

I worked backwards like most other people: introduced through Stevie Ray, went back to Slowhand, Mike Bloomfield and Johnny Winter, then discovered the three Kings, Albert Collins, Hubert Sumlin, Muddy Waters, etc.

Just got the idea from reading the new Guitar Player Legends mag. Who do you guys dig?

• Members

muddy waters definately!! hes got sucha wicked slide, makes the hairs on my neck stand up. hes all substance....and hes got such a commanding voice to boot! muddy, even my fiancee loves him and wholeheartedly agrees that if there was one man that was man enough to satisfy a woman in 5 minutes time, it was muddy! i cant compete with that!!

• Members

Oh Electric?

Well by far one of the greatest creators of the legacy of the blues was a BASS man Willie Dixon and he wrote all the hits that made Muddy and Howlin Wolf famous. He is the man that really was a cornerstone in Chess records if you ask me. Also Little Walter had to be one of the best influences of all times and a harp player that laid down the future. I love Wolf and Hubert Sumlin. Hooker is another.

I really like the funkier and less known cats like Houndog Taylor, Gatemouth or Son Seals and many others.

The king of blues guitar in my opinion that was unlike ANY other? ALBERT KING ! He is the man. Make no mistake. Freddie comes a close second and BB King is the one that made it famous for having the most polish and class.

If I had a wish I'd have the 3 Kings play for my birthday party :)

• Members

The blues to me has many flavors of which I am only familiiraity with a mish-mash of different styles that hail from Texas to Mississppi to Chicago and all the way to the other side of the pond. It's all academic to me, though.

B.B. King

Buddy Guy

Billy Gibbons

Eric Clapton

Jimmy Page

Jeck Beck

Last but not least and certainly without a doubt SRV! :cool: - I've just about worn out my VHS of "Austin City Limits" and am afraid to pick up my Strat for fear of losing myself in any one of his tunes.

Speaking of Albert King and SRV, check out the two of them on the "In Session" CD recorded at an independent Canadian TV station: http://www.fantasyjazz.com/html/king7501_p2.html

• Members

Originally posted by Bluesfrog

I have to say The Vaughan Brothers, B.B. King, Albert King, Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton... I only like Eric Claptons newer versions though... I saw him in DC in 2001 I think it was.

I used to only dig newer Clapton...I heard stuff like "From the Cradle" and it sounded much better than the things I had heard from him.

But the radio doesn't usually play the album he did with John Mayall or anything but the title track from "Layla." Take those albums, along with the work in Cream, and you hear Clapton's real work.

• Members

There are so many !
BB King - I still consider him the master, especially his late 50's stuff - the epitome of cool blues guitar.
T Bone Walker - The founding father. Even though a lot of his stuff sounds the same, it just sounds so good!
Gatemouth Brown - A virtuoso - nuff said.
Duke Robillard - The current king of jazz-blues ala T Bone.

• Members

I have been lucky enough to see some of the better known and lesser known greats over the past 20 years or so here in Chicago, and I'll throw in another vote for Son Seals, a great blues man with amazing soul.

Other greats I have seen live in Chicago are:

BB King (w/ Johny Lang when he was like 14 outide by the lake)
Buddy Guy (a few times..awesome showman, amazing chops)
SRV (w/ Buddy Guy @ Buddy Guy's club, Legends, late one night in late 80's..incredible to say the least)
Albert Collins
Otis Clay
Eddie "The Chief" Clearwater (huge hands on that guy!)
Melvin Taylor (local guy..a little busy sometimes but impressive)

tons more, but I'm blanking.

LOVE the electric blues!

• Members

I did sound at a nasty college-town club that had blues some nights, so my tastes are somewhat colored by who I worked with.

Here's the people who most impressed me, though:

1. Buddy Guy - if he was "on", he was downright incredible. Supposedly he gave Hendrix some lessons way back when, and whether or not that's true he does have that sort of sound and intensity.

2. Albert Collins - 'nuff said. Except that he was much better live than his records.

3. Lonnie Brooks - great player, and also about the nicest guy I ever worked with.

Archived