Zager or Sigma Martin elec/acoustic?

keano

• Members

Hi I looking to get a good sounding elec/acoustic guitar for recordings. I have Guild D55 and hi end Yairis. Looking for something low priced with hi end quality. What do you think of these brands?

Thanks

• Members

Sigma were Martin imports from Japan. They were dropped at least 10 years or even longer ago so I assume you are referring to used instruments. They were good guitars for the price but I would stay away from any lower level used guitar because if it needs any major repairs they will cost more than it's worth.

Zager takes lower level Martins, adds some voodoo magic, and sells them on ebay. He claims that he improves the intonation to justify his upcharge. Looks like he gives them more or less a Buzz-Feiton treatment. If you want a Martin just buy one from your local or an on-line dealer.

• 14 years later...
  • Members

Update to Zager/Sigma issue:

For the past 8 years or so, the guitars once sold as Sigmas are still made overseas and are re-branded and finished here in the US - NOT by Zager, but by AMI. I confirmed this with AMI (https://www.ami-guitars.com/). I have the low end of the new Zagers, the "Travel Guitar", the smallest and least expensive one they make - solid mahogany acoustic. It needed some professional set up (lower the saddle and straighten the neck a bit) and now plays very nicely. No, not like a Martin, but nicely enough to toodle around with. AMIs are listed as being lower in price, but I have not tried one ... yet! Hope this speaks to some old and continuing questions about both Sigma and Zager.

marindavid

GIBSON Montana J-45 Standard 2019 Vintage Sunburst;  TAYLOR 856CE; ART & LUTHERIE Ami: TAYLOR 814ce DLX: ZAGER Travel: FENDER Stratocaster (MIM)

Archived