Wiring a coil split into a Jazzmaster

ZeppelinPie792

• Members

So I have tried emailing various people about this, and have gotten no results.

I have a humbucker for the bridge PU on Jazzmaster (white, blue, and red wires coming out of it), and I want to wire it into the bridge with a push/pull coil tap on the volume pot. I can't find any diagrams anywhere for this project. Can any of you guys help me out with this?

Also, if possible, I would want to make the tone pot a push/pull for in/out of phase for either the bridge (humbucker) or neck (single coil) pickups. This is not a necessity, though.

• Members

Yes it can be done and its a fairly easy job. I'll see if I can dig up a schematic later and modify it for you. All you're going to do is ground one of the coils through the switch. You wire up everything properly, then use the coil tap on the pickup to ground the coil by using one additional wire.

I do need the pickup wiring diagram of the pickup though or at least know the type of pickup it is. Pickups wire colors are not standard between manufactures. dimarsio are different than Duncan, or GFS etc. You can usually figure oyt which wires gou to which coils with a meter, but its trial and error for getting the phasing correct.

You also likely have body routing or pickguard cutting to do to get the pickup to fit. If the Jazzmaster has soapbars or single coils, they are a different size holes and you will need to reroute the pickguard and the body. You may need to get a new pickguard and cut it as well. Be sure you check these things out carefully and decide if you're going to modify the body like that. When you route a body it devalues the instrument. If you havent done body routing or pickguard cutting before its something you might want to have done. Its not something an amature get right the first time around no matter how much positive thinking you put into it. It does take skill to route a body adn pickguard and have it look pro.

• Members

This is a great page for guitar wiring diagrams:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

I think this is what you're looking for. Of course, that's only the wiring for the humbucker.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=phase_switch_coil_split_hb

Yep, Mr Duncan is a good source, and it is in fact easy, you just connect one of the two coils to the ground, it's up to you which one, north or south. Don't ask which one sounds better, I can't hear the difference :)

• Members

Yes it can be done and its a fairly easy job. I'll see if I can dig up a schematic later and modify it for you. All you're going to do is ground one of the coils through the switch. You wire up everything properly, then use the coil tap on the pickup to ground the coil by using one additional wire.

I do need the pickup wiring diagram of the pickup though or at least know the type of pickup it is. Pickups wire colors are not standard between manufactures. dimarsio are different than Duncan, or GFS etc. You can usually figure oyt which wires gou to which coils with a meter, but its trial and error for getting the phasing correct.

You also likely have body routing or pickguard cutting to do to get the pickup to fit. If the Jazzmaster has soapbars or single coils, they are a different size holes and you will need to reroute the pickguard and the body. You may need to get a new pickguard and cut it as well. Be sure you check these things out carefully and decide if you're going to modify the body like that. When you route a body it devalues the instrument. If you havent done body routing or pickguard cutting before its something you might want to have done. Its not something an amature get right the first time around no matter how much positive thinking you put into it. It does take skill to route a body adn pickguard and have it look pro.

The pickup is a Curtis Novak JM-180. It is a Jazzmaster sized pickup, so there is no cutting or routing to be done.

Also, I have never done anything like this before, so any other tips (including what push/pull pots to get) would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

The pickup is a Curtis Novak JM-180. It is a Jazzmaster sized pickup, so there is no cutting or routing to be done.

:thu: That should make things a lot easier. Routing can be a hassle, and it's easy to screw up, and it's not so easy to fix a mistake.

Also, I have never done anything like this before, so any other tips (including what push/pull pots to get) would be greatly appreciated.

Get a digital multimeter, aka volt-ohm meter. They can be bought for ten dollars or less at an electronics or autoparts store. You're gonna need one anyway if things go wrong, and if you're going to do any electronic work it's good to have one and know how to use it.

Soldering iron? A cheap one will get the job done, you can spend more on fancy temp controlled one, but it's not necessary. Get a pencil type that's around 25 - 30 watts. Use electronic type rosin core solder. Watch some soldering tutorials on YouTube.

Work slowly and carefully. Make sure wires don't touch anywhere they don't need to, and don't forget your bridge/string grounding.

• Members

Get a digital multimeter, aka volt-ohm meter. They can be bought for ten dollars or less at an electronics or autoparts store. You're gonna need one anyway if things go wrong, and if you're going to do any electronic work it's good to have one and know how to use it.

Soldering iron? A cheap one will get the job done, you can spend more on fancy temp controlled one, but it's not necessary. Get a pencil type that's around 25 - 30 watts. Use electronic type rosin core solder. Watch some soldering tutorials on YouTube.

Work slowly and carefully. Make sure wires don't touch anywhere they don't need to, and don't forget your bridge/string grounding.

I already have these things from attempting to build an amplifier a while back. I haven't exactly used the digital multimeter, though. The amount of numbers and symbols are a little intimidating, haha.

So, according to this wiring diagram (http://www.guitar-mod.com/wiring/jazzmaster_stock725.jpg) I would need one 1M linear taper push/pull pot for the volume, and one 1M audio taper push/pull pot for the tone. Does anyone have any ideas of the best place to get such a product? I am not really too sure if any brands or websites are better than any others. Bonus points for a place with a pickup selector switch for a Les Paul and bass strings!

• Members

I'm having a bit of trouble finding 1M push/pull audio linear and taper pots, so one of my friends suggested just using two 500k audio taper pots. Can anyone provide any input on this? I have not really had any experience in switching out the value of the pots, so I am a little hesitant.

• Members

Archived