Has anybody ever put a guitar on layaway?

kwakatak

• Members

I've been doing my homework on several models for a couple of years but I can't sell my wife on dumping that much cash all at once.

I'm curious to hear if anyone has had any experience with doing layaway over several months with either their local music store, mail-order or online dealer?

• Members

Wouldn't seem to be much point, really. I can totally sympathize with the wife-would-freak-out mentality. Fortunately for me, my wife knows just slightly less than nothing about guitars and their value... I'm not saying I'd lie, necessarily, but I might employ a particular version of the truth...

Seriously, though, saving your money in a hidden shoebox is the same principle as layaway, only you maintain immediate control of your money and can change your mind with less hassle if it comes to that. Plus, there aren't a bunch of strangers out there with their prurient hands all over your shoebox while you're saving. I am currently engaged in the shoebox method myself.

• Members

Layaway: Poor man's credit.

I know what you mean, a friend wanted to start on bass guitar and I told him to buy it cash. But, his wife wouldn't let him buy anything (he's {censored}-whipped).

So, I told him to put it on layaway. He did and he got it out after two months. His wife still went ape-{censored}. But who cares, he has a bass with an amp now to jam with us.

I'm not married, but I used to layaway in the beginning.

A friend once told me "you wanna play, you gotta pay."

Not wanting to wait to play with my toys everything I buy now is in cash.

• Members

A lot of dealers will let you put an instrument of layaway., but another option is to buy online if you feel up to it. Music123 and musicians friend both have credit plans. That way you get your guitar immediately. Just make sure you have decent credit before you even bother. Otherwise they won't allow it...obviously!:D

• Members

I've bought various pieces of gear that way, over the years...the main drawback is if you can't make the payment (car problem, whatever), you might lose everything you've put into it, so unless I'm dealing with a friend, who'll understand if it takes a month or longer than the initial layaway plan, I'd rather "shoebox" it!

• Members

Thanks for the replies! I didn't realize that even though a local shop may put an instrument on layaway they would still keep it up on the wall. I know that if I were to fall in love with a guitar and put something down toward purchasing it, then I would want it kept in a safe place. That's almost as bad as buying something sight unseen IMO.

As for the poor-man's credit, I was just trying to weigh the benefits to paying in installments as opposed to putting it on the credit card. I have good credit but I don't like the idea of paying interest on any balance on my credit card that wold carry over. Do some store's/dealer's layaway policies charge a fee or monthly interest rate in this manner?

• Members

Layaway can be cool, IF you have found one particular instrument that is head and shoulders above the rest, and you don't have the cash to immediately snag THE ONE.

However, often there are other fish in the sea, and virtually no possession is irreplaceable. Don't tie yourself to an anchor.

• Members

Layaway is cool,

I think all of my local shops offer a 90 day layaway plan, its best to talk to the shop manager or owner beforehand. Usually they want around 20% down. Once on layaway the instrument is usually taken off the wall and placed somewhere until you are paid up. i bought my 1st Acoustic this way.

Archived