Disappointing as hell y'all...:(

LDF

• Members

I finally received my Martin 000-15L (lefty) today. I had to order it from music123 which thus far is the only place selling it. The guitar looks good and plays great. I really love it. There's just one problem. There's a six inch crack between the top and side on the the bottom of the guitar, and another smaller one between the back and side in the same area. It looks like it was damaged in shipping, or just as likely, someone set it down hard and pushed the side in, cracking the binding.

I called music123 and they'll take it back and give a full refund, but I won't be able to get a replacement until sometime in late october when they get more in. It just plain sucks. I've been waiting so long only to get damaged goods. I just wanted to ellicit sympathy so thanks for reading.......

p.s. what do you think caused the damage? I'm just curious.

• Members

I'd say grab the refund and then call one of these guys:

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/martinStandard.html#modelOOO

http://www.wwbw.com/Martin-00015S-i52609.music

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/stuff_f.html
(In stock, according to their inventory sheet)

http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=6116
(Out of stock but they're right next to Martin or something. Also, their prices seem to be strictly MAP so I'd call - really should be lower)

Impossible to guess what caused the damage specifically - truth is that with Music123, although I think they're a good business, they're a giant warehouse and the git could have been like that in its box for months... They're very good about treating you right if anything's wrong, but they generally do no inspect their gits before they go out the door the way, say, Elderly would. Obviously if you still have the box it came in and the box itself looks even slightly damaged, there's a clue. These are also particularly delicate guitars. I could swear I've heard more shipping-damage stories about the 15 series than any other... The damn things sound beautiful, though.

In any event, you've certainly ellicited my sympathy. All the excitement of getting a new guitar, what an awful letdown to discover damage like that. Good luck with a speedy replacement!

• Members

note-wwbw is same company as music123
-ordered 2 guitars from them, 1st had a hole in the back, second was totally wrong guitar- Call music 123 and ask to speak to Jeff Cravitz(manager) (sales number, not customer service)-tell him your story, he was great to me
Jim

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

Can you get your money back? If so I suggest you order from Elderly. ALL Martins can be ordered lefthanded.

Are you sure? I know Martin is good about lefties, but Elderly doesn't show as having it. Maybe I should email them to find out.

This sucks so much. I keep picking up the 000-15 and I quickly realize how much I already love it. This $800 instrument completely blows my $1700 OM-21 to little kindling pieces. The difference is THAT noticeable.

• Members
Originally posted by LDF

Are you sure? I know Martin is good about lefties, but Elderly doesn't show as having it. Maybe I should email them to find out.

This sucks so much. I keep picking up the 000-15 and I quickly realize how much I already love it. This $800 instrument completely blows my $1700 OM-21 to little kindling pieces. The difference is THAT noticeable.

Heck yeah, call Elderly, I'm sure they'd be glad to order a guitar for you. They'll inspect it before shipping it to you, they might even set it up if you can give them some specs. No idea how much wait time is involved but you'll get better service. Besides, how long will you have to wait for Music123 to come up with a replacement? And what if there's a crack in it?

• Members

Originally posted by Cldplytkmn

well how many ESTABLISHED PROFESSIONAL repairmen/luthiers have YOU checked with to make sure the crack is even a crack.

Damn Martin is falling apart these days... how could Martin let them ship you a guitar like that.

cheap shots, i know. I just felt like it.

Heck, I think we should have a Martin SLAMMIT sticky.

Then again, any guitar works well as a fly swatter. BLAM!!

• Members

Originally posted by LDF

This sucks so much.
I keep picking up the 000-15 and I quickly realize how much I already love it.
This $800 instrument completely blows my $1700 OM-21 to little kindling pieces. The difference is THAT noticeable.

If that is truly the case I would suggest you contact them and see if they will let you have it repaired at an authorized Martin repair shop. You may find the replacement, while pristine as a brand new instrument should be, doesn't sound as good as the one in your hands. Maybe you can negotiate a partial refund to pay for the repair and a little more for your trouble.

• Members

Originally posted by LDF

Dang, Dude... You're making me want to go out and buy one... I love the 000-15 (have never tried the 12-fretter) and have resolved to own one at some point. Surprised to hear the OM-21 comparison because I am COMPLETELY smitten with that model... Tried the two side by side a few weeks ago and weighed the pros and cons of armed robbery. Ultimately decided against because (A) it's difficult to brandish a weapon with a guitar in each hand, (2) I don't run very fast, (D) even in New York City, it's virtually impossible to make an inconspicuous getaway when you're a big fat bald guy with a Martin in each hand on the subway (just try getting a cab in this town when you need one).

• Members
Originally posted by knockwood

Dang, Dude... You're making me want to go out and buy one... I love the 000-15 (have never tried the 12-fretter) and have resolved to own one at some point. Surprised to hear the OM-21 comparison because I am COMPLETELY smitten with that model... Tried the two side by side a few weeks ago and weighed the pros and cons of armed robbery. Ultimately decided against because (A) it's difficult to brandish a weapon with a guitar in each hand, (2) I don't run very fast, (D) even in New York City, it's virtually impossible to make an inconspicuous getaway when you're a big fat bald guy with a Martin in each hand on the subway (just try getting a cab in this town when you need one).

The OM-21 is great and all, but the 15 just has a quality to it. Ironically I would say that the 000-15 sounds more crisp or something (can't find the words) than the OM which tends to be a little muddy in my opinion. The irony being that mahogany guitars are known for being muddy, but this one is anything but.

p.s. You don't want to go to jail, so restrain yourself.:)

• Members

Originally posted by fantasticsound

If that is truly the case I would suggest you contact them and see if they will let you have it repaired at an authorized Martin repair shop. You may find the replacement, while pristine as a brand new instrument should be, doesn't sound as good as the one in your hands. Maybe you can negotiate a partial refund to pay for the repair
and
a little more for your trouble.

I've considered this, but I don't want to go through the trouble. Then again I might regret not keeping it. Oh well, such is the risk of online shopping.

• Members

Originally posted by Andrewrg

The damage you describe sounds as if the guitar was dropped hard on the bottom.Not unusual for shippers.

That was the conclusion I came to as well. There was no padding at all between the guitar case (soft shell type) and the inside of the box. What kind of major music vendor neglects basic packaging guidlines. I've honestly had books that were shipped with more insulation.

• Members

You know the scary thing is the guitar is the sum of it's parts. The cracks in the sides contribute to the tone. There is no guarantee that if you replace it you'll get that same tone.

Plenty of professional string players refuse to fix cracks on their instruments for this very reason.

• Members

I know GC takes a lot of hits, but:
I am originally from NJ, now live in the sticks in upstate NY. When I decided I wanted this particular nylon Martin model 000C-16SGTNE, I called everyone in the NYC metro area as I get to NJ pretty often. No one had one on the wall, best I was told by the big boys in Manhatten was to go the the Nazareth PA factory if I wanted to fondel one before plunking down the cash. I talked to a sales manager at the Paramus GC and he told me he would bring one in and give me 30 days to play it with a 100% money back guarentee, and their price was the same as everyone else. Gave it to me in writing too. I told him I had to be in NJ that weekend and could pick it up, he said don't worry, if it dosen't come in I will ship it to your home in NY. I told him no way, and offered to pay extra shipping to make sure it got to NJ that Friday, which it did. With a returnable offer like that I wanted to go over it with a fine tooth comb before accepting it, so there was no squabbling later about a little mark or something.
From what I understand this is a standard GC policy, and since there are so many of them, I think it is a good alternative to pure mail order. If I hadn't liked the guitar, I could have turned around and walked out without it. But I love it, and they ain't gettin it back.:)

Dave

Archived