What's a good string for fingerstyle?

kwakatak

• Members

I currently have a set of Martin SP 80/20 Fingerstyle (light gauge) on my guitar but I think I may need to move on to something similar with a longer lifespan. I love these strings because they just seem to be easier on my fingers but like many other Martin strings I've tried they just don't have a long enough lifespan. They're great for the first couple of days to a week but after that they seem to go dead way too soon. Is there anything similar out there that won't go dead as quickly?

• Members

80/20 in general are initially pretty brilliant but this tends to fade quickly. High tin phosphide content (the "20") makes the windings more brittle (& thus brighter) but also less supple, and because of this they tend to fray off the core rather quickly. It's not that they go dead in the usual sense (corrosion primarily from contact with skin), but the pronounced difference once the initial brilliance begins to relax makes them seem comparatively dead... 85/15 is slightly less brittle / slightly less brilliant / but maintains initial tonal quality slightly longer... By extension, I find that regular p/b strings, while offering a less bright first impression, tend to remain consistent generally much longer. Just one dude's opinion.

Just 'cause I've tried them recently and freakin' love them, I'd recommend trying out DR "Rare" phosphor-bronze mediums (12/54). I realize you're using lights right now, BUT they're Martin lights, which are the same gauges as the DR mediums (except for the 3rd string: Marty's is 25 / DR's is 24).

• Members

I used to use Elixir Polyweb 80/20 lights but got tired of the string dander and high price tag in the local mom & pop shops: $18. I don't think I'll ever go back to them, but I'm curious to hear how the new Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronzes are. Sorry knockwood I can't keep away! ;)

For now I'm gonna put a set of John Pearse 80/20 lights on. I like them almost as much as these dead old Martins, but they just don't have the same slinkiness to them.

Thanks for the head-up on why the 80/20s seem to die so quickly. Maybe I'll try the PB version of the JP and Martin SP Fingerstyles. I can't go up to mediums until I put a JLD on my poor old guitar though.

Archived