can a dread be strung with nylons?

dougbeens

• Members

i also tried this before i had enough money for my classical.i put nylons on my alvarez and in was awful.muddy,no tone.the bracing for nylons is very different than bracing for steelstrings.it wont work.there are nylon guitars that dont have the wide classical necks.i cant recall a brand right off but i am sure someone here can.

• Members

Ive tried Silk & Steel that LaBella makes.If you like to fingerpick and want a mellow sound,they make a excellent choice. Soft to the touch and a deeper tone. The ony bad thing is they don't last as long.
One other option,if you have the money is to buy a thin line classical. I bought one,a Yamaha ,and I'm very pleased with it. A smaller neck,a cutaway and electronics. Not for the purist.

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

What about silk and steel strings?

I've never tried them but have heard of Silk & Steel strings.

These sound interesting too:

I love these strings. I use the 610 set on my D-41 and the 510's on my Taylor and my Tacoma. Even though the gauges are slightly larger than corresponding standard light & extra lights sets, they have less tension and play more easily. I love the crisp bass you get on the low E with these strings (I hate that dead, thumpy bass sound you get with some strings). That said, they don't sound or play like nylons at all (I tried a set of those on an old Nagoya dread years ago and they sounded horrible).

The Pearse strings are bronze and silk; Martin makes a true "silk and steel" set where the wound strings actually do play pretty much like nylon/classical strings. I tried 'em once on the Taylor and they played great but they sounded kind of tinny and didn't generate much volume.

• Members

Originally posted by dougbeens

just a curious question, can a dreadnaught be strung up with nylons in standard tuning?

i like the sound of classical guitars but the ultrawide string spacing has always irked me.

thanks

yes, no problem. it may not sound the best, but it won't hurt the guitar. going the other way around, steel strings on a nylon string guitar, can damage the guitar (steel strings are higher tension than nylon).

• Members
Originally posted by riffmeister

going the other way around, steel strings on a nylon string guitar, cauen damage the guitar (steel strings are higher tension than nylon).

True, but the sound is incredible while it lasts. :p

No kidding. I did it once out of curiosity.

Archived