Songs about death?

opranks612

• Members

Anyone know any good songs about death that I can learn quick (I can pick up chords pretty fast as long as you don't get into jazz, and that's all I need to accompany me)? A friend of mine, her grandpa is dying, and I've always been able to have a pretty profound effect on her with my acoustic guitar, and I think I might be able to help her through this better with music than standard talking can.

• Members

Not really about death, but it is a really strong emotional song.

Everybody Hurts - R.E.M. It also has a positive theme about bad things happening.

off memory i think its D and G for the verse and Em and A for the chorus. There is a bridge in there too which i cant remember. but i quick chord search will help you out.

• Members

These are some really nice songs that summarize life and death. all are emotional but consoling at the same time. I think I want these played at my funeral.

Tears in heaven - Clapton

Bridge over troubled water - Simon and Garfunkel

fire and rain - James Taylor

Let It Be - Beatles

Forever Young - Dylan

My Way - Sinatra

• Members

The single most heart-wrenching song about death I've ever heard is a Scottish folk song called "Land of the Leal". There aren't many recordings of it. I'm only aware of it being recorded by Andy M. Stewart. Try Googling. The lyrics are devastating.

• Members

"flowers for the masters boquet"

Trad Old Time style G

Death is an angel thats sent from above

It's sent for the buds and the flowers we love

Gathered by angels and carried away, forever to bloom in the masters boquet

Gathering Flowers for the Masters Boquet,Beautiful Flowers that will never decay,

Gathered by angels and carried away, transplanted to bloom in the masters boquet

Now let us be faithful till lifes work is ore, blooming with love till the reaper shall come.

Gathered by angels and carried away, forever to bloom in the masters boquet

Gathering Flowers for the Masters Boquet,Beautiful Flowers that will never decay,

Gathered by angels and carried away, transplanted to bloom in the masters boquet

something like that,

• Members

It's not exactly about death, but on the last album before he died, Johnny Cash did a remake of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt". I saw the video posted online somewhere and it was pretty haunting.

I'm not a big JC fan - especially after he was featured on U2's "Zooropa" - but I get the impression that he had a personal connection to the song. Maybe it was because either he knew the end was coming or he was grieving for someone, possibly his wife?

Like I said, it spooked me because he sounded even more frail and warbly than what I'd come to expect. When somebody tried to turn me onto the song when it first came out, Cash was still alive. I didn't appreciate the power and feeling that he put into it and wrongly described it as a "death rattle recorded for personal profit". Seeing the video recently made reconsider, though I still wouldn't buy the CD.

Heres the video

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

It's not exactly about death, but on the last album before he died, Johnny Cash did a remake of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt". I saw the video posted online somewhere and it was pretty haunting.

I'm not a big JC fan - especially after he was featured on U2's "Zooropa" - but I get the impression that he had a personal connection to the song. Maybe it was because either he knew the end was coming or he was grieving for someone, possibly his wife?

Like I said, it spooked me because he sounded even more frail and warbly than what I'd come to expect. When somebody tried to turn me onto the song when it first came out, Cash was still alive. I didn't appreciate the power and feeling that he put into it and wrongly described it as a "death rattle recorded for personal profit". Seeing the video recently made reconsider, though I still wouldn't buy the CD.

i've seen this video probably 50 times... and i still get shook up by it... the song is great, but the imagery of the video drives it home for me... this was the song that got me into cash a few years ago.

by the way, i'm not sure of the timeline of june's death to this album and video, but she's in the video in a few shots.

i don't know that cash was ever concerned with profit, especially late in his life... i think the fact that he chose to cover the beatles, U2, and NIN on the same album is kinda a cool statement from him that there will always be somebody writing good music and something worth listening to.

• Members

Originally posted by Qengho

Angel Band

I'm an athiest but I'm tempted to have that played at my funeral (the Stanley Brothers version, of course).

Then there's still hope.

I like Weathered Grey Stone and You'll find her name written there.

• Members

Originally posted by Qengho

For me believing in a supreme being? Not a chance. But I love gospel music anyway. It's just so goddamn joyous!

:thu:

Hopefully our music choices will bring comfort to opranks612's friend.....goddamn joyously!

Archived