Considering a Martin D-16GT

Fireproof

• Members

I've searched as much as I could and see there's a lot of good feedback on these Martins. There's also good feedback on high-end Taylors, Larrivees (sp?), etc.

My budget is right at $1000 (it was initially $750, but I'm stretching to get the 'right' guitar).

I need a nice acoustic guitar for casual playing in a living room setting, never amplified.

After playing quite a few different brands and types, I find that I like the warmth yet "bluesy" (or whatever) tone that comes from the Martins. The projection is nice too. The feel of the guitar in my hands and lap just feels right. I keep coming back to it. I prefer it's neck over the Taylors. I didn't test any $2000 guitars because I didn't want to fall in love with something I couldn't afford. ;)

So, I think i'm going to take the plunge. My current acoustic is a cheap MIK Fender and after playing with these Martins and other nice guitars, I can't stand the plasticy feel/sound of my laminated guitar. I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

Any thoughts on the D-16GT as a first step into the "nice acoustic guitar realm"?

• Members

Sounds like you found what works for you - congrats and go for it. The only thing that kinda' puts me off re: 16's is the micarta board/bridge. I for one would prefer wood, rosewood if necessary price-wise, but would rather have ebony.

• Members

Thanks folks! It's always nice to get a little validation when spending this much on a guitar (it's a lot for me, maybe not much for some of you).

Gretsch Fan,

Regarding the 000-16GT, they didn't have one at the 2 shops I went to here locally, so I couldn't compare side-by-side. What about it did you like better? Does the auditorium size mean it just has a narrower waist, or is the lower bout a little bigger as well, or what? How was the sound difference? Or was it mainly just more comfortable.

Maybe I need to find one to play before I make the final decision.

• Members

I would go out of my way to try on a 000 or OM, both are basically the same body size. Particularly if you play much fingerstyle. It is a very comfortable sized guitar, especially when played sitting down. If you want something to really strum and give you volume, the dread may be the way to go, but after owning two 000/OM sized guitars I find the dread pretty bulky. However I play nothing but fingerstyle, and if I want volume, I'll put in a pickup. Also be aware Martin has a few different neck profiles. I like the low profile and find the modified V a bit bulky. My 2 cents.

• Members

The D-16 I tried was exactly what would be expected from a Martin dread. The 000-16 I bought seemed to be balanced across the sound spectrum. With only slightly more attack the bass really sings much like a dread but the fuller mid range was more to my taste. Call me odd but I really prefer the body shape too. Jumbo is my preferred size/shape but the Martin line jumbo models are only 16" across the lower bout and I like the full 17"so I was fine to do the 000 and get the different sound too.

• Members

Originally posted by Fireproof

I've searched as much as I could and see there's a lot of good feedback on these Martins. There's also good feedback on high-end Taylors, Larrivees (sp?), etc.

My budget is right at $1000 (it was initially $750, but I'm stretching to get the 'right' guitar).

I need a nice acoustic guitar for casual playing in a living room setting, never amplified.

After playing quite a few different brands and types, I find that I like the warmth yet "bluesy" (or whatever) tone that comes from the Martins. The projection is nice too. The feel of the guitar in my hands and lap just feels right. I keep coming back to it. I prefer it's neck over the Taylors. I didn't test any $2000 guitars because I didn't want to fall in love with something I couldn't afford.
;)

So, I think i'm going to take the plunge. My current acoustic is a cheap MIK Fender and after playing with these Martins and other nice guitars, I can't stand the plasticy feel/sound of my laminated guitar. I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

Any thoughts on the D-16GT as a first step into the "nice acoustic guitar realm"?

The 16 series is nice, not fancy and gets the job done well. I own 2 00016 martins and I'm happy with both.

I sold my Taylor 414Ce to buy the 00016 RGT cutway w/ fishman. I like the necks on Martins better.

• Members

If you want to get back within your original budget, this is another option:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=514700

I have one and find it to be about as good a value as you will find in an all solid Martin. For $100 more, the same guitar can be had in rosewood rather than mahogany. Some have described it as a bare bones D-18 (though with different bracing pattern). I put a bone saddle on it for about $15 and it really barks.

Take a look around the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum for some insight and owner experience. Those folks can tell you whatever you want to know about anything Martin (including how to buff the satin of the D-15 into a gloss finish) . Happy hunting!

Archived