Bridge pins keep coming loose from my guitar!

bud_311

• Members

I'm trying to restring my guitar with these new brass bridge pins I got to replace the old plastic ones. It's not working so well. The sixth string is staying in place pretty good, but as I tighten up the fifth string, it eventually pulls the bridge pin right out (no matter how securely I push/tap it down first)

Is there anyway I can make this work?

• Members

The pins are probably a bit too small. The old pins widened the holes in the bridge after time. Are those brass pins slotted? If not you may have to ramp the strings, that is have a luthier slot the bridge a bit.

• Members

I have had this problem in the past and it may have been for the same reason and may have been for entirely different reasons.

My experience has been that if I push the bridge pin in and thereby push the ball of the string further in, when I tighten the tuner the string which is sitting under the end of the pin pushes the pin back out.

But, if I bend the end of the string slightly before inserting it in the hole so that the ball of the string is headed back toward the neck, then hold the pin down while pulling on the string, I can feel the ball "lock" against the side of the pin. Then when I tighten the tuner the ball of the string is exerting pressure against the side of the pin - not the bottom. This sideways pressure is then enough to securely lock the pin in place.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Originally posted by babablowfish

I have had this problem in the past and it may have been for the same reason and may have been for entirely different reasons.

My experience has been that if I push the bridge pin in and thereby push the ball of the string further in, when I tighten the tuner the string which is sitting under the end of the pin pushes the pin back out.

But, if I bend the end of the string slightly before inserting it in the hole so that the ball of the string is headed back toward the neck, then hold the pin down while pulling on the string, I can feel the ball "lock" against the side of the pin. Then when I tighten the tuner the ball of the string is exerting pressure against the side of the pin - not the bottom. This sideways pressure is then enough to securely lock the pin in place.

Hope this helps.

Nice tip - :thu:

• Members

There is also the possibility, though not very likely, that the tapers don't match. There are a couple of different ones that have been used. Even if the holes are worn, unless the pin is going down to the hilt, a touch up with a reamer of the correct taper should do it. Remember the slot thing too.

• Members

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Bending the strings back in an L at the bridge ended up working. They've been secure all day at least. I'm still afraid they may pop out, but it'll work for now.

Next time, I'll definitely see about getting a bridge repair. I dunno though...is a $150 acoustic guitar worth fixing up, or should I just get a nice one?

• Members

Just save up for a new guitar. Besides, bending the strings is the way you're supposed to do it. That way the ball end sits up right against the underside of the bridge plate.

Here's an invaluable link:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing1.html

Here's another:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/05_steel_string.pdf

Good luck! :)

• Members

Several good ideas above especially the one about bending the end of the string slightly back towards the head then tightening. Whatever you do I don't think a new bridge plate is needed after only seven years. One of my guitars is thirty five years old and is not close to needing a new bridge plate. Were I you I think I would take the guitar down to a good luthier and follow his/her advice, you should not be having this problem.

• Members

The bending the barrel end of the string is a great tip. The only reason bridge pins normally pull up when tuning is the string isn't set right against the soundboard and resting against the side of the pin and not the end. It's also a good idea to make sure to have the barrel parallel to the soundboard.

Archived