string question

Ruh916

• Members

k, I got a 000-16gt

When I got it from elderly they said something that they dont recommend lighter gauge than what it comes with ... I didn't get the reason... does the neck need more tension or something?

I want lighter strings :mad: and easier action for my limp wrists :mad:

• Members

How light? I put 11-50 on my 000 Martin. With low action it plays like a dream.

I imagine the reason they suggested not to go too light with the strings is for tone. You can't get too light with acoustics or the top won't move. You'll end up with masquito tone.

• Members

sometimes tension changes an instruments sound - havent heard this in a long time, but it does- thou lighter gauges make the guitar easier to play and quicker, sometimes the volume is decreased, especially on a mahogany top guitar with lighter gauge strings ( not sure what the 000-16gt has for a top - havent had time to check ) i have an ancient short neck thats sound is alot better with light over ex-lights .

• Members

Originally posted by Ruh916

I'm not sure, probably whatever gauge they usually come with? I'd go with 10's or 9's if I could
:(

The git would have come with 12/54 ("light," in Martin string vernacular). I think JT's right and the suggestion is just a tone thing. On the other hand, Taylor suggests that if you string their gits lighter than recommended, the necks will back-bow... Sounds wacky to me. But if you like light-ass strings and some back-bowing were actually to occur, it's easy enough to correct. String up with whatever feels and sounds good to you.

Edit: although... 9's on an acoustic??? Don't listen to me, though.

• Members

Martin's recommendation for that guitar (from their web page) is

"Martin MSP 4100 Light Phosphor Bronze"

Obviously you can use any brand of strings that suites your ears, but the top and bracing are designed for those strings. "Lights" are usually 0.012 to 0.053, there is no reason you couldn't go to "ultra lights" , "custom lights" or any of the other 0.010 or 0.011 sets - it won't hurt the guitar at all. What will probably happen is you will not get the volume and you might have to tweak the setup. A few people like "silk and steel" strings, altho many feel that they don't have the volume or tone.

One other trick might be to tune it down - each half step will reduce the string tension 10 percent or so. You can capo back up to play with other instuments.

Archived