acoustic on a budget - need suggestions!

cdp

• Members

Need suggestions: the best budget (under $400 US) acoustic guitar is....?

I'm not concerned with prewired electronics - that can be added later. Not concerned with laminate (I know that comes standard at this pricepoint). And not concerned with where it's made at, I assume it'll be made overseas. I don't have the cheese for the 800 series Taylor I fell in love with recently, the $4000 price tag is the only obstacle. lol

For not much more money, you're in lower end Martin territory. Might even be able to get a used one.

Larivee, Taylor, Martin, Epiphone Masterbuilt, Parkwood all have instruments just a little more expensive new. Might be worth saving a little more.

• Members

The following in no particular order all have guitars for under $400 I think, and they are all reputable builders.

Seagull
Washburn
Takamine
Yahama
Blueridge

You don't get much for $400 these days but if that's your budget these are as good as any. Play as many as you can and pick the one that picks you.

• Members

You may want to check out Walden Guitars ....... I've been impressed with there play and sound. I especially like the Walden 500 Series, G570 . They have some for sale on EBAY.

Here's Waldens website
http://www.waldenguitars.com/index.html

Also you may want to take a look at Durango B-46 slope shoulder dreadnought. This really is an awesome guitar. I've been impressed with the Durango geetar's; I think we maybe singing the praises of Durango's as many do about "vintage" Yamaha FG's. IMHO

Here's AG's January 06 review Password for Jan. issue: 2006
http://www.acousticguitar.com/article/157/157,6730,NEWGEAR-1.asp

Durango's website as well.
http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/products.asp?CategoryID=2&FamilyID=2&BrandID=10

Last but not least, the Yamaha FG730S Dreadnought.
Street price: $295 give or take. You can never go wrong with a Yam. :)

If that's your budget and you can't spend a nickel more, you can buy a lot of -- if not a very nice-- guitar for $400.00 bucks. Long gone are the days of having to settle for a piece of crap. Getting a good setup and if you choose, replacing your nut and saddle with bone, all for $400.00 bucks .... you'll have a nice playing/sounding guitar. Let use know what ya get.

• Members

mikeo,
you know I did spend some time with one of those Yamahas and really liked it. I was concerned about some buzzing on the low notes, but I can't be too picky about a$400 acoustic, can I? lol
The Epiphone Masterbuilt wasn't bad either, but didn't really play as easily as the Yamaha did. Funny you should mention those two though!

• Members

Originally posted by cdp

mikeo,

you know I did spend some time with one of those Yamahas and really liked it. I was concerned about some buzzing on the low notes, but I can't be too picky about a$400 acoustic, can I? lol

The Epiphone Masterbuilt wasn't bad either, but didn't really play as easily as the Yamaha did. Funny you should mention those two though!

I owned a Yamaha, and used it as my beach guitar.

Set up is critical, make sure the fret board truss rod doesn't need adjustment and the saddle is high enough to work with. A lot of times manufacture set em up real low, and you will get fret buzzing if played hard.

I like the Masterbuilt stuff and you right about the set uo not being as easy to play as the Yamaha, but what ever you get you want to make sure the bridge and saddle as well as truss rod is set up for your style.

• Members

Originally posted by hrhodes3

I look at the same stuff . I thought about the same guitars at mf

i live ,well in the middle of no where.

I have traveled to test drive many guitars, but some I haven't. I have used MF for a lot of stuff and they are good. I have returned stuff too, with no problems.

Good place to shop if ya kinda just know what ya want.

• Members

As I just posted in another thread, there's a canadian company that owns several acoustic guitar brands that all make terrific guitars for a great value that's within your budget. You would be doing yourseld a disservice if you didn't check out Simon and Patrick, Seagull, or Norman guitars before you bought anything.

Perhaps those aren't very common in the US, though? i dunno... here in Canada they're extremely common.

• Members

Originally posted by frozenbluth

As I just posted in another thread, there's a canadian company that owns several acoustic guitar brands that all make terrific guitars for a great value that's within your budget. You would be doing yourseld a disservice if you didn't check out Simon and Patrick, Seagull, or Norman guitars before you bought anything.

Perhaps those aren't very common in the US, though? i dunno... here in Canada they're extremely common.

Pretty common is the US. The company is Godin from Quebec, and you left out the best value brand in their line, Art & Lutherie.

Edit: which you did mention in your other post.

• Members

Anyone have a Taylor Big Baby? Does it feel like you're playing a little kid's guitar?

I played a DXM and is it a Dx1? they were about the same price, but one had a composite top. I liked the solid top one. Both were under $500 I thought not having fret markers would bother me, but it has them on the side of the neck, just not on the fretboard

Archived