performance jitters...

dadgad7

• Members

Anybody else experience this, I play well at home, then up on stage (which I've only done a handful of times) I tense up and play like my fingers are made of lead!

Am I not cut out for the pressures of perfoming, or is it something I'll get over?

I'd love to play out, I have a gig offered to me to play weekly, but that's based on my playing in my living room, I don't know that I recreate it in front of say 50 or so people.

any suggestions?

• Members

Nothing really seems to work as well as just getting out there and doing.

Those old cliches like "Picture your audience naked" only helps to excite you, then you have to worry about keeping your guitar low enough so it covers your lap.

If you have them in your town/city, start out at an open mic night. The audiences there are usually a lot more accepting and encouraging. A few of these will get you used to standing in front of a crowd.

I've played out quite a bit and almost every time I threw up before hand ... once that was out of the way everything would go fine.

• Members

I play every week at an open-mike night. When I first started playing I was terrified. I found that I would forget the chords and/or words to songs I have played flawlessly a thousand times at home. But, contrary to my expectations, after screwing up a song royally, I didn't die. I felt like crap, but I survived. Now I just take it as a matter of fact that I will make the occasional mistakes and try to move on. The fear is gradually diminshing and there are more and more moments when it is actually a lot of fun.

So that is my advice to you. Move through the fear, understand that you will screw up from time to time and know that you will survive and the rewards will be worth it - they certainly were for me.

• Members

I really don't know why the thought of making mistakes intimidates me so much. Some latent low self esteem problem probably.

I always feel like some 'real' guitarist in the audience will find me out, and expose my shortcomings.

So yeah, I guess I just need to get over it,cuz I don't suck, I'm just nervous.

• Members

Lots of good advice from the folks here!! Also any "real" guitarist in the audience would want you to succeed. Ever gone to a concert wanting to see the performer screw up? Nah. You want them to be great. So does anyone who is listening to you.

I posted this link not too long ago when the subject of performing at open mics was being discussed. I believe it offers some great insight:

http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/openmics.htm

As for myself, I find that performance problems seem to arise when my concentration wanders. I've been successful in focusing by briefly closing my eyes when I notice that happening; seems to eliminate distractions. Really helps to bring me back to the music.

Good luck! It'll work.

• Members

Don't be your own worst enemy. The audience is there to listen, not prey upon you. You know you have something to share with them so concentrate on that in the same manner you do in a casual setting. Stumbling is something they are very familiar and probably much more comfortable with than you think. Trust them.

My son comes into my music room and asks me to play certain songs - instrumentals. He listens and reacts in a non-verbal way to my playing - air-guitar and all that - and it is soothing to see him that relaxed. He thanks me afterward for playing for him even though my performance is hardly ever flawless. That is your audience.

I have become dulled to my own goofs. I practice quite a bit but don't get bent out of shape when I stumble. The audience doesn't need or want you to get bent out of shape either. Just pick it up from the last beat and finish it.

Finally, always give your audience a courteous smile when you finish each song regardless of the performance and feel good about yourself.

• Members

Originally posted by dadgad7

Anybody else experience this, I play well at home, then up on stage (which I've only done a handful of times) I tense up and play like my fingers are made of lead!

Am I not cut out for the pressures of perfoming, or is it something I'll get over?

I'd love to play out, I have a gig offered to me to play weekly, but that's based on my playing in my living room, I don't know that I recreate it in front of say 50 or so people.

any suggestions?

You get used to it quickly and have a awesome time.

I played at this huge bennifet some 20 years ago, they had all the lights and stuff thta made it scary.

I had a stero mix in my monitor:D

I hit my first note and the spot lights were blinding I was shacking pretty bad.

Anyway after that song, I was albe to see the crowd about. They filled maybe the first dozen rows at best.

So now I say F!@K it, ever show is just like practice, and there's nothing like poorly in your home town in front of 50 people.

ever once in a while I still get edgy before going on, that kinda means I'm trying to hard.

• Members

Originally posted by dadgad7

any suggestions?

Ever notice when you're playing for five hours, that last hour you play super great? You are loose then. You might be less confident in the beginning because your fingers are stiff. Try some warm up fingering exercises before you go on. Maybe if you're loose from warming up you'll have more fingering confidence and you will play better right from the start.

• Members

It slowly gets easier, but only after your start and the more you try the faster you get use to it.

Personally Bluegrass jams helped me greatly. They helped me figure out staying on time as I stumble, fumble and try to remember the right note. If you stay in time you won't mess up those around you.

When you reach that point and stumble playing alone, the audience assumes it's your interpretation, because the timing worked out right. Once in a while you even trip on something better.

Ever notice when you're playing for five hours, that last hour you play super great?

I don't hear this observation much, but notice is often enough. I think I've been playing too much lately, my left arm and elbow feel like they been doing curls most of the time lately. My wife thinks it's tennis elbow (from pickin?).

Another thing I've noticed, usually by the second day of a BG fest I can tune by ear almost as close as by tuner.

Archived