New Hagstrom 0103S mahogany acoustic

kwcsports

• Members

This guitar for 299 bucks has to be one of the best deals in cheap guitars on the planet, IMHO. Right out of the box it played great and really sounds like a much more expensive instrument. The dark mahogany also looks beautiful. The srtings are not the best, so it should sound better still with a new set. I don't know how to post pics or I would. Punch in hagstrom on ebay and scroll thru, you will see the really dark acoustic for 299. The action and fit and finish are way above my expectations. The frets are perfect and the sound is very nice. I have never played a mahogany acoustic before , but it sounds alot different than a maple top for sure. Also the size is about the same as a classical which I prefer over a dread. I have only played it for about 1 hour, but as you can tell, I am impressed. I am not an expert by any means on quality acoustics, but for 300 bucks I am very happily surprised.

• Members

Two ways to post pics - really kinda the same.

First you have to host them somewhere. I use PhotoBucket.com - it is free if you put up with their ads. You upload the jpeg from your pc to the host. I like to diddle with the size a bit first using Photoshop or something - change a 10 meg file into something much smaller.

Then you can either click the IMG button on the reply page of HC and drop the url into it as http://my_host/my_pic. The HC software will enclose it in [/img} and bing, bang, bam - you have a picture in your post.

A little more universal way that works with almost every forum is to copy the bottom link at Photobucket which has the stuff included. Highlight it, right click copy and paste it into your message.

Frequently you can also right click an image on another web site - say Elderly's - and copy/paste it into your message. I always Preview Reply to make sure it looks OK. If you right click on the image that Frets99 posted and look at the properties you will see the link to the URL.

Simple as mud. The hard part is playing one of these critters...

• Members

This is really helpful, I'm thinking about getting one of these. I love the orchestral body size.

Any idea what "Open Pore PU Finish" means?

I was thinking about getting the cedar top, though, because I like fingerstyle, what's the mahagony like?

I've made a bunch of calls to local shops and no luck yet. I want to play one before I buy. I'm going to make a second round today.

cheers.

• Members

Hi, I think open pour means no finish of any kind,only plain wood. I personally like the wood and the dull finish. I took mine to the local music store today and no one there knew that Hagstrom guitars were being made again. 2 of the techs thought the quality and sound was very good, relative to the price. For a chinese guitar it seems well made, IMO. It is not a Taylor or Martin for sure, but for 300 bucks it is a great small acoustic.

• Members

I like the look of it overall, but that headstock would take some getting used to. Looks like it ought to be on a mandolin. I'd like to check one out though. One disadvantage of living in a large metro area with big stores is that there are virtually no small stores to carry the lesser-known budget brands, like Hagstrom, Hohner, Sigma, etc. Bummer.

• Members

Originally posted by DonK

One disadvantage of living in a large metro area with big stores is that there are virtually no small stores to carry the lesser-known budget brands, like Hagstrom, Hohner, Sigma, etc. Bummer.

I am going through this right now. I live in Brooklyn. There must be 25 or more stores around, but they all carry the same things. I've called over and over about Hagstrom and Hofner because I'm looking for a cheap small body acoustic. But only a few of the stores have even heard of these makes.

I'm close to buying on eBay or the internet, but last time I did that I was disappointed. And I really want to and these guitars. I am an experienced player, but I've mostly just played beaters. I would love to get a sense of cedar vs. spruce vs. mahogany and start really thinking about the guitar I'm playing. I've read about those issues on HC, but there's nothing like being able to hear and listen to it on a guitar you can afford. UGH!

I'm not a big fan of e-bay buying either for the same reason. I like to hear the guitar and it doesn't make a difference if everybody else says it's great. It may not be what I want to hear. Also, I don't have your hands. I have put guitars down immediately because I didn't like the feel of the neck.

There is a store near me that carries them and I felt every one I payed was a winner. At the price... I almost feel like buying one of each!!:eek:

I think I have his phone number and address in my sig. Barnstorm.

I'm originally from Brooklyn myself and my dad still lives there. I have gone back and forth in a day but generally not over a $200 guitar. I don't know if calling him is worth it to you.. I mean, he could play it over the phone or something I guess.... :rolleyes:

Just a thought!

• Members

Originally posted by Frets99

I'm not a big fan of e-bay buying either for the same reason. I like to hear the guitar and it doesn't make a difference if everybody else says it's great. It may not be what I want to hear. Also, I don't have your hands. I have put guitars down immediately because I didn't like the feel of the neck.

Thanks for this, it's something I am trying hard to remember. At these prices I've come close to just eBaying. But I must resist!

I'm originally from Brooklyn myself and my dad still lives there. I have gone back and forth in a day but generally not over a $200 guitar. I don't know if calling him is worth it to you.. I mean, he could play it over the phone or something I guess....

I've found a few places that carry Breedlove, Hofner, and Alvarez. All of which have been recommended on HC as good and affordable with a small body line. So I'll have a look at those too. It's just that we're talking about a lot of driving to try a cheap guitar. I suppose I should think about it as my guitar education.

Guitar buying should be more fun than this, shouldn't it?

cheers.

• Members

Originally posted by mcputnam69

I am going through this right now. I live in Brooklyn. There must be 25 or more stores around, but they all carry the same things. I've called over and over about Hagstrom and Hofner because I'm looking for a cheap small body acoustic. But only a few of the stores have even heard of these makes.

I'm close to buying on eBay or the internet, but last time I did that I was disappointed. And I really want to
and
these guitars. I am an experienced player, but I've mostly just played beaters. I would love to get a sense of cedar vs. spruce vs. mahogany and start really thinking about the guitar I'm playing. I've read about those issues on HC, but there's nothing like being able to hear and listen to it on a guitar you can afford. UGH!

I hear you...I'm in the same place, though I've had mostly good eBay experiences.

Even when I drive 30 - 40 miles to an outlying small town with a small store that sells one of these brands, I'm lucky to find more than one in stock, and that one's usually been played a lot.

Originally posted by DonK

Is it just me, or is that bridge crooked?

LOL... I'm thinking with the wood grains and finish that there is some kinda optical illusion going on there. I have to admit as I looked closely, I got a little seasick....

• Members

Originally posted by mcputnam69

Any idea what "Open Pore PU Finish" means?

There are basically two kinds of foam plastics/ rubbers out there (and similar to woods really) open pore and closed pore.

Our darlings have many pet-names, so what's sometimes known as Styrolite, used as floating aids and thermal insulation is a great example of closed pores; little foam balls really.

Poly Urethane on the other hand is more like your average matress, it's bubbles of air separated by the PU; a bit like whipped cream, ice-cream or those chocolate bars with air in them really. This is what open pores means. In other words the coating is flexible and probably allows the wood to breath.

• Members

Some clips I made with the Hagstrom O102S (cedar)

Sorry Frets: I don't use XP, so not only can't I find one of these guitars, I can't even hear it if a generous soul like yourself posts clips. Great!

thanks for the effort though. Hope others enjoy.

• Members

Originally posted by solitaire

Poly Urethane on the other hand is more like your average matress, it's bubbles of air separated by the PU; a bit like whipped cream, ice-cream or those chocolate bars with air in them really. This is what open pores means. In other words the coating is flexible and probably allows the wood to breath.

Thanks Solitaire, very helpful. But why don't they just call it an ice cream finish? That would be a lot clearer don't yhou think? :)

• Members

I've always thought of it as if you open your fingers and point your hand up it's like a piece of wood with the pores open. Most finishes fill up the pores to the point that they completely smooth over ther opening. Givng the wood a shinny appearance, Where other finishes just coat the sides of the fingers and leave the opening, which gives the finish a dull, raw wood look. IMO......

• Members

I've posted the clips at yousendit.

Got them! :thu:

So what is it that makes someone so nice, eh Frets? I really appreciate the effort.

The guitar sounds really nice, especially for $200. Everything (highs, lows, and mids) seems to come through with a rich full tone, great for a new guitar. I only wish I could play the damn thing!

I like your playing too, is that first clip improv or is it from a song? It sounds like some old blues, just the stuff I've been trying to get into lately. Reminded me of Dave Van Ronk's version of Gambler's Blues.

I noticed you're in Massachusetts, but come from brooklyn. We're on opposite planes I think. I grew up in Rhode Island, and, as you know, now live in Brooklyn. I got up to RI every couple of months to take my little girl up to see my mom.

This may be a little crazy, but from Providence, is your guitar store very far? :rolleyes:

cheers

Oh I ain't so nice... I got an ex wife who could prolly give you an earful!!:D

I like playing guitar... May be a little too obsessed with 'em perhaps. But I like being in these forums. They're are actually a lot of nice folks here. It's fun to talk to people about something I really enjoy.

I've always liked when folks would post clips. Gives me a better idea of what they're talking about. Folks can say rich full sound and be talking about a Martin or a Taylor and to my ears they're both right but in different ways.

The first tune I think you're referring to is a little fiddling around with "Oh Danny Boy". That song without words can sound like a million tunes.

And yeah you're crazy to travel forever to test drive a $200 guitar.... but I've felt that itch before. It's just hard to lay out cash of any kind for something you may not love. However, Barnstorm is probably 45 minutes from Providence. I've gone to the civic center and the performing arts joint they have there to hear n see music. It's about 1/2 drive to my house and I'm about 15 min from Barnstorm. There may be a better way but just shoot up 495 to 109. Follow that into Medway. There's a strip mall and he's got a little bitty shop there with a sign that says GUITARS.

He's open on Sat n Sunday as well. If you happen to be in RI and get restless, call Ted, make sure he's open and take the plunge. Hell if it makes any sense and I'm around, we could hook up and I'd take you there. It's a wicked crazy thing to do. Plus if it don't float your boat, don't buy it. At least you'll be able to go to sleep at night!:D

Archived