alvarez or larrivee

caseykey118

• Members

Just shaved my armpits..........smooth as, well my back, which I also shaved........

Ok, so much for your "feeling".......

But idiotic kidding aside, I have a feeling that you're right about your "feeling".......

I'm going to wait and see what more knowledgeable folk have to say.......

• Members

Tough call, one's a smaller sized guitar and one's a dread, one has a super slim neck(alvarez) and the Larry has a 13/4 nut. They are going to sound so different, plus one is mahogany back and sides and one is rosewood. One is made in China, one is made in Canada.

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/LARRIVEE_LO3_GUITAR_W_FREE_CASE_&_TUNER_L03.html

http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/AlvarezMD90.html

Your Pick:wave: :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Cldplytkmn

first of all so i don't offend anyone who is offended by opinions- i don't have anything against alvarez.

i've never heard an alvarez that i'd pay half of what a larrivee 03 series goes for...

oops

Me neither.

I take that Larivee in a heart beat

• Members

I would agree except that I played an Alvarez MD90 and it was outstanding. I was seriously thinking of buying it, it reminded me of a Yairi. I've tried some Larris that just didn't do anything for me. Have you tried these two guitars caseykey?

• Members

I have one of each, but to be fair, my Alvy is just a rotten guitar--dead of out the box, literally. I played it for years, hating every minute of it.

It was a cheap ac/elec (Artist series?), and a blem at that. I think the blem must have been a fair bit more than cosmetic.

My Larrivee L-05 has been my healing--everything the Alvy is not: alive, nuanced, complex and dynamic.

A friend of mine has an inexpensive cedar top Alvarez that is simply lovely. Everytime I play it I wish it were mine. Mine just rots.

• Members

For big open tone definitely go with the MD90. The larri D05 is the better comparison to the MD90. I tried an LV03RE and I guess it just wasn't what I was looking for. I liked the D05 much better.

I ended up buying an MD90 and so far I like it alot.

:)

• Members

Never played a Larry so I can't comment. Very popular with this crew. I do own a Alvarez MD 80 that I am very pleased with. Excellent, stable instrument with good harmonic quality. Hog and Spruce. I also have a MF 80C that is very decent though I haven't owned it long enough that I am used to it yet. It is a smaller OOO guitar. I also owned a DY 55 Yairi for years and years that was an excellent Martin(ish) guitar.

I have never played a 90 but I believe that you would enjoy it very much.

Anyway, I know that doesn't help you much. Play Play and Play some more. Buy the one you keep coming back to.

Happy hunting!

RT1

Archived