Help please: Rick's acoustic-electric decision ...

Rickkkk

• Members

Hi folks,

I'd appreciate your opinions on the following guitars. Some of you may remember I'm in the market for an acoustic-electric for band/stage situations (being unenthusiastic about the idea of modifying my 26 year-old Yamaha ...). I'm looking for something under CAD$400.

Here are a few I found at a shop today:

- Alvarez RD-8C (CAD$390)

- Tanglewood TW900 CE (CAD$300) (a floor demo ... good condition)

- Yamaha APX-500 NT (CAD$370)

- Cascade DC25 EQ (CAD$240)

- Art & Lutherie (Godin) Cedar Sunburst Dreadnought (CAD$360)

I have never heard of either Tanglewood nor Cascade before.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

• Members

I assume you played them all, amplified? I'd go by your impressions--the way they feel in your hands, the tonal characteristics, the appearance...If I played those all at one setting, I'd probably have one or two that stood out, and I would go with my instincts from there. Probably you can't go too far wrong with any of them. No red flags I know of.

• Members

I own the RD-8C & give it a :thu:

I pretty much use it as my hang out in the house guitar & use it almost exclusively unplugged. as far as it's sound amplified, well that really depends on the amp you use... it's uninspiring with my little crate gx-20m, but sounds much better in my friend's fender twin reverb.

i'm not really familiar with any of the other guitar models on your list.

• Members

Hi again all,

Well, I've been thinking about this for a while. Yes, I have tried them all, but not all plugged in. The other day, I brought my Yamaha StagePAS to the shop and plugged in the A&L Cedar dread. Sounded good. I'm waiting on a quote from that store - asked them to give me a good deal on the guitar and a hard case (I've bought about $1500 worth of stuff there in the last year, so I figure they should be interested ...).

In the meantime, I tried out another A&L at another shop. This one was a Spruce model, very similar to the Cedar, same Quantum electronics, BUT - it was a cutaway. Personally, I'm leaning towards the Cedar non-cutaway. I don't think I'll be playing much lead on this thing and it seems to me the sound on the full Cedar dread was .... well ... "fuller" ....

Any opinions ? Either on the guitar itself or the question of cutaway or not ... Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, folks.

• Members

Hi again all ...

OK, .. firstly, thanks to those that responded. I appreciate your opinions and considered them while making a final decision.

I bought the A&L Cedar Dread with the Quantum electronics yesterday. The shop threw in a hard case for CAD$30. I figured that was pretty good, seeing as though their price for the guitar itself was generally lower than I had seen elsewhere. And this is a relatively small, neighbourhood shop that I don't mind supporting. They know me there now and always treat me right.

Got the guit home last night, plugged it back in to the StagePAS in my music room and loved the sound.

I'll probably post one last time in this thread after gigging with the guitar.

Thanks again everyone,

• Members

as far as i know cort guitars did a lot of work for tanglewood, recently cort began concentrating more on their own guitars and the quality improved while tanglewood quality dropped , i dont know what kind of deal the 2 companies had but they have now gone their seperate ways, i cant vouch for the accuracy of this statement, just something i heard recently

• Members

Originally posted by darksun

as far as i know cort guitars did a lot of work for tanglewood, recently cort began concentrating more on their own guitars and the quality improved while tanglewood quality dropped , i dont know what kind of deal the 2 companies had but they have now gone their seperate ways, i cant vouch for the accuracy of this statement, just something i heard recently

I think you're right, darksun...seems I read about the two companies parting ways recently.

• Members

Originally posted by darksun

Hey Darksun ...

I was only able to find out that Tanglewood seems to be a very popular UK (England) brand ... don't know if they are actually made there or not, but Steve's Music here in Montreal has an uncharacteristically large selection of them ... (?) ... As far as any advice I could give you, they play OK - I found them average-sounding, for all it's worth. The Godin line to me represents a better value ...

The Cascades seemed to be Steve's budget line of acoustic. I have no idea what their history is. The touch and sound of these seemed in line with their price (under CAD$300). Very unexceptional.

Baba --- Thank you for the congrats. Very happy with the A&L so far. Maybe I'll take a pic and post it up here ....

Archived