Recording: On Eagles' Wings (fingerstyle)

kwakatak

• Members

I've been woodshedding on a Pete Huntlinger adaptation of this hymn (where he channels James Taylor's technique of all things) that appeared in the most recent issue of Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine.

I must have played it half the day yesterday and went through three takes late last night so that I could get to the point where all the changes went smoothly and I could let it breathe. I went to bed a little dissatisfied but had a little time after getting up this morning to recording it one last time.

Normally my hands are pretty stiff this morning, but everything seemed to click. I didn't even have any of the normal trouble with finding the correct mic placement which is one of my pet peeves. I've got a pretty set system of editing in Audacity and again everything went smoothly in about 10 minutes of post-production.

I tell ya, what a way to start the day on a good note! :thu:

Hope you guys enjoy it! :)

http://media.putfile.com/On-Eagles-Wings

• Members

Thanks!

According to Pete Huntlinger's column that accompanied the transcription in Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine, he purposely added the passage with the alternating bass notes/off-beat diads. Another JT trademark are the 16th note pulloffs which Huntlinger recommends to be treated more like grace notes. I like the chime-like quality of the notes.

• Members

Hi Neil,

I'm listening to your tune right now ... Really nice.

Reminds me of late 1960's early 1970's era Al Stewart acoustic instrumentals (he was a phenomenal acoustic player ...), particularly "Denise At 16" ....

Cheers !

• Members

Thanks folks! :)

I hate to admit it but I'm not too well-versed on Phil Keaggy apart from some sheet music to "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" that I found was competely over my head and playing ability. James Taylor I can relate to though, which is partly the reason why I was drawn to learning this song.

Other than that, beside a few intentional pauses, stretching of the tempo in places (I learned from Little Einsteins that the term for this is ritardando) and a soft touch to alter the dynamics (diminuendo) in other places there's really very little of me in this song which frustrates me a little.

Archived