Help with wiring Toggle Switch Please

• Members

I replaced a two pole push button switch with a 3 pole two position toggle switch, but it doesn't work right and I don't think I have the toggle wired correctly .

Its for a 7 way switching system on a Strat. As I said, the previous push button switch had two poles, and both wires in the pic were wired to one pole and the other pole was not connected to anything.

Right now I have the two wires wired to on pole on the Toggle, as shown in the picture.

TIA. I hope i can get this wired right, cause the guitar is ready to play except for the wiring!;

Picture.jpg

• Members

center tab is usually the "IN" pin that is switched the outside tabs are ones switched, usually the tab that the toggle is pointing to in a straight line is the one that conducts from the center tab. The outside tabs never conduct to each other.

Was the pushbutton a "kill" (off) switch?

If so most kill switches work better if it puts the signal to ground, rather than just cutting off signal to output.

• Members

Thanks for the input, but I'm afraid what you said makes no sense to me. I am a novice. Guess what I am looking for is for someone to tell me where to connect the two wires.

Also, the toggle don't go ion straight line ( middle), only to the two sides.

Here is the wiring diagram for the Strat, with the original two pole push button switch, both wires connected to one pole.;

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/view_online.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.fender.com%2Fservice_diagrams%2Fstratocaster%2F013-3000_02A_SISD.pdf

• Members

Go "in" to the switch with the center pin. Go "out" with one of the other pins. So basically the pickup will wire up to the center connector on the switch. Then you go from one of the other ones to the 5 way.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUSSS5L1204/WDU-SSS5L12-04.html

Take a look at this. I've never tried this using the switch you have, but it seems to me it hould work. If not, replace it with a double pole switch.

• Members

What they are saying is take one of the outside wires you have soldered there, unsolder it and solder it to the center lug.

it doesnt matter which one, just move one to the center lug.

The way you have it now, there no contact with each other.

Just move one to the center and you'll have a connection when the switch is flipped.

For future reference, most simple toggles work like a sea saw to make contacts inside.

The center contact is the center of the sea saw. when the seasaw is tilted and touches the

ground on one side or the other it makes contact with the two outside connections.

You cant make contact with the two outside lugs because a seasaw will always have one end in the air

when the other is on the ground.

I wont get into special switches at this point. Some have double seasaws that work together or work opposite to each other,

but they realy arent that hard when you visualize them as being the simplest thing you know.

If you ever get a bad one, open it up and you'll see a minuiture seasaw made

of metal and its flipped side to side by a spring attatched to the lever to make comntact to one side or the other.

Archived