the most influential acoustic player

EvilTwin

• Members

Originally posted by recordingtrack1

I with Guitarist21 on this one. I have to say Chet Atkins. Of course Merle is cool as well.

RT1:cool:

i would agree that Chet had an enormous impact on many players across many styles, but when i think Chet, i think electric, as most of his work was on on a Gretsch electric; the minority of his work on nylon or steel string acoustic.

• Members

Originally posted by DenverDave

I can't believe no one has mentioned Michael Hedges yet. Probably the most influential player of the last 25 years - well, him and Kottke...

right on denverdave, for me, this is a tie between kottke and hedges, they influenced me the most at least

• Members
Originally posted by nip

Isn't it very hard to pick one of these is so different genre?

You could just as well say Jimi Hendrix.

For me I think it was Neil Young that made acoustic cool again, in the era of electric guitars, guitarstacks and 10 minute solos.

And after that Steve Howe(Yes), Al de Miola, Leo Kottke and John Williams.

But if to pick one above, it would be Segovia. He really brought the beauty of the classical guitar to me anyway.

Hendrix was a main electric rock influence, just as Clapton is. 'Ol Slowhand is probably my biggest influence, and he brought a lot of focus back on acoustics because of Unplugged, but I can't put him in this category.

Originally posted by JasmineTea

I'd go along with Django, he's my all time favorite. But I think his influence would've been difused among early guitarists, with just a few directly influenced. All speculation here.

If we're talking Django, what about Broonzy?

Hey, go on about him. That's what a debate is for. :)

The whole thing is speculation...that's what makes for a healthy conversation. I think the specifics on Django's influence may have been difused, but not on his approach to making the instrument something more than part of the rhythm section.

Originally posted by mikeSF

but seriously, seems a really strange lineup, but i'll say Django because he did all that you said with merely two fingers on his left hand.

It is a strange lineup, but I tried to pick the biggest and most influential sources from classical, jazz and blues.

No one is more influential in classical than Segovia.

You can argue in jazz...Charlie Christian, especially. But Django was there first.

There were many contemporaries with Robert Johnson (Son House, Big Bill Broonzy, Blind Blake, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Charley Patton, Skip James, etc. etc. etc.), but I think he's the most influential.

There's a lot of great musicians listed here -- Hedges, Kottke, Fahey, etc.

But I tried to go to the sources of where so much of the great playing came from.

And to just start a fun debate. :D I don't know about you guys, but as much as I love answering threads about "best cheap acoustic" or "good acoustic pickups," it's fun to go beyond gear from time to time.

• Members

Lets make this a little more personal. Which of those three players has had the most influence on YOU. How many Segovia cd's do you have and how often do you listen to them? How about Django - how often do you play or listen to Gypsy jazz? How many of you play an RJ song or two, or have his box set (or listen to someone like EC or Bonnie Raitte or anyone else who covers an RJ song?

Here is mine
- One Segovia cd - mood music (read that bedroom music)
- Zero Gypsy jazz - probably couldn't identify Django if I heard him
- The RJ box set, probably a dozen old delta blues artistics, Stefan Grossmans instructional dvd's and vids on the music and style (with the classic picture of RJ on the cover), Eric and Mr. Johnson, Bonnie, Rory, and a bazillion others who play Walkin' Blues and Roll 'n Tumble and, yeah, I play a few of those songs myself.

But then I also have Maybelle Carter and Doc and Merle and Chet and Flatt and Buster Jones and Larry Pattis and ....

• Members

I gotta go with Django. Although the folks I play with probably don't know who he is, or what Gypsy Jazz is, it doesn't dampen my spirit for him. I find most westerners aren't too familiar with Gypsy Jazz anyway, but ask a Brit or other European about it...it's alive and well there, its birthplace. Check out a band called Mad Manoush (a term for a French Gypsy), good stuff, www.madmanoush.com, but they're just one of hundreds of good Gypsy Jazz groups across the Atlantic.

Steve

• Members
Originally posted by Freeman Keller

Lets make this a little more personal. Which of those three players has had the most influence on
YOU
. How many Segovia cd's do you have and how often do you listen to them? How about Django - how often do you play or listen to Gypsy jazz? How many of you play an RJ song or two, or have his box set (or listen to someone like EC or Bonnie Raitte or anyone else who covers an RJ song?

Here is mine

- One Segovia cd - mood music (read that bedroom music)

- Zero Gypsy jazz - probably couldn't identify Django if I heard him

- The RJ box set, probably a dozen old delta blues artistics, Stefan Grossmans instructional dvd's and vids on the music and style (with the classic picture of RJ on the cover), Eric and Mr. Johnson, Bonnie, Rory, and a bazillion others who play Walkin' Blues and Roll 'n Tumble and, yeah, I play a few of those songs myself.

But then I also have Maybelle Carter and Doc and Merle and Chet and Flatt and Buster Jones and Larry Pattis and ....

I've only got a few Segovia mp3's on the computer.

I've got the first 6 or 7 remasters from Naxos Jazz from Django and the Quintet. I have a few others, but they aren't nearly the quality of the Naxos CD's, which I'm always on the lookout for.

I've got the complete recordings for RJ, and a good deal of Clapton.

For me personally, I think it's undoubtably RJ, because he influenced my biggest influence -- EC.

But overall...for guitar players as a whole...I don't think Django's influence can be overstated. Listen to the recorded guitar playing pre-Reinhardt...stuff from the Hot 5 or Hot 7, for example. No one played anything NEARLY as sophisticated. If you do any sort of hot single-string playing, Django's pretty much the source.

Originally posted by Luca1369

I gotta go with Django. Although the folks I play with probably don't know who he is, or what Gypsy Jazz is, it doesn't dampen my spirit for him. I find most westerners aren't too familiar with Gypsy Jazz anyway, but ask a Brit or other European about it...it's alive and well there, its birthplace. Check out a band called Mad Manoush (a term for a French Gypsy), good stuff,
www.madmanoush.com,
but they're just one of hundreds of good Gypsy Jazz groups across the Atlantic.

Steve

I don't think it's just a genre-specific thing, though.

RJ, for instance, has a very wide influence beyond blues, because he influenced so many rock players.

With Django, he redefined what you could do on the guitar.

Segovia did, too. But I hear more similarities to Django's approach than his.

Originally posted by ratroll

IMO either Neil Young or Bob Dylan. They were the ones that got me and so many others to pick up the acoustic. I didn't hear about any of the other guys until after I actually started playing.

That's where the debate always goes to...because for me personally, it's Clapton.

But who influenced Neil and Bob? And who were those that influenced the people who influenced them? That's why I tried to think of three guys who are sources from which a lot of influence comes from.

• Members

For me it is Neil Young and James Taylor. I have nothing against all the ones in the poll,but they didn't do anything for me. They are great musicians,three different styles. You could say Johnny Cash had a big influence as well. I've heard more people do Neil Young tunes and copying his style than Adres Segovia.

Archived