what a gift -- a guild GAD-25

EvilTwin

• Members

For my fiancee and mine's anniversary, she decided to get me one of these:

http://www.elderly.com/fmic/items/GAD25-NAT.htm

(It was actually from a local shop, but I don't have pics yet.)

:eek:

A $489 guitar (with a ridiculously nice pimp case) should not be this incredible, but it is. I hadn't thought a bone nut and saddle would make much of an audible difference, but now I'm not so sure about that.

My fingers are sore. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Howard

I've been looking at getting one of these for the last few months. I just can't get my head around the pickguard shape - I'd switch it for something a bit more square.

That'd be my only gripe, but a new pickguard is not too expensive, nor difficult to replace.

You got a winner in both the guitar and the lady, ET! :thu:

• Members

Yep, those Guild GADs are very nice. I recently bought the GAD30, auditorium size. Not intending to purchase a guitar I went to "just play some guitars" at the local guitar shop, came away with the Guild. The sustain on those is incredible. Four months later I'm still happy I bought it.

Enjoy it

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

That'd be my only gripe, but a new pickguard is not too expensive, nor difficult to replace.

You got a winner in both the guitar and the lady, ET!
:thu:

Thanks, TAH. :)

With the pickguard, if you guys prefer spruce/rosewood or the like, the Guild GAD-50 has a clear pickguard.

I had played one of those, too, but kept coming back to the 25 (I played the GAD's a few months ago and resolved myself to buying one when I had the funds, but that's been taken care of for me :D). There's just something about an all-mahogany guitar.

And these GAD's just sound like a Guild should...that real chunky tone.

The bone saddle/nut really has impressed me. My Tacoma is all-solid, and has just as much resonance...but the Guild's just got some fatness in the highs the Tacoma lacks, even though the Tacoma has a spruce top.

• Members

Thanks for all the kind words. :)

And daklander, it's actually been a little difficult for me to get used to the guitar, because my Seagull's nut width is a bit wider, and it's what I've played primarily lately. That, and my Cordoba Gitano gypsy jazz box has a pretty fat and wide neck, too.

But the sound sure as heck makes it easier to get used to playing. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by T.B.

Congrats on your new Guild, she's a beauty.
:thu:
I'm a big time Guild fan. I'm trying to justify why I reallllllly need to buy the Guild's CV-1. How does that all mahogany Guild sound?

Trina

Thank you. :)

It still has the "big voice" of a dreadnought, but it's highs aren't as high, and its lows aren't as low as a spruce/rosewood or spruce/mahogany dread. It isn't nearly as boomy as some dreads.

The highs, especially, are amazing. Using words to describe tone is difficult, but instead of the "bright" and "sweet" treble you get from spruce, I'd say this all-mahogany guitar sounds more "creamy" and "smooth." The bone saddle has something to do with it, too, I'd wager.

I hate to say "three dimensional," but that's what it sounds like to me...everything that comes out of the soundhole just blends.

Originally posted by Freeman Keller

Evil, you are twice lucky. Enjoy both your treasures. I try to play the little taylor that my wife gave me as much as I can for her - we both smile when I do.

I definitely am enjoying. :D

• Members

Thanks EvilTwin ............. maybe I better take a look at the GAD -25's.
;)

Well, I'll admit that I'm biased. :D

But I think the hype around these GAD guitars really are warranted. I will say that the 25 doesn't sound like other all-'hog guitars I've played.

Martin's D-15 is probably the most well known, and it sounds good to me, but honestly a little raspy, with the mids not quite as smooth as other 'hog tops I've played (Alvarez, Larrivee).

If spruce and rosewood is your thing, check out the GAD-50. It's a helluva guitar in its own right.

I think Fender has finally comprehended how to make a great acoustic. I wonder if they kept folks from Guild's Rhode Island shop?

• Members

I wonder if they kept folks from Guild's Rhode Island shop?

It's my understanding that none of the R.I. folks, where willing to move to the West Coast.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them weren't snagged up by other companies or started doing their own guitars...

Those guys really knew how to build a guitar. I can't attest to the GAD's and new top end Guilds, but the Westerly, RI ones were absolute tanks with great tone.

• Members

I need to show this thread to my woman--our wedding is next Saturday and would LOVE a nice gift like this. I'm totally lusting after the GAD-50, but that 25 sure is a beauty. I need to find a local shop with one in stock before I (or we) pull the trigger.

• Members

Originally posted by zb0430

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them weren't snagged up by other companies or started doing their own guitars...

Those guys really knew how to build a guitar. I can't attest to the GAD's and new top end Guilds, but the Westerly, RI ones were absolute tanks with great tone.

I can say the new GAD's sound like a Guild should.

But it really is a shame that the RI operation was closed down. I put Guild in the same breath as Martin, really. It would have been nice if they had at least continued in their own back yard, even if they weren't an independent operation.

• Members

Originally posted by zb0430

Don't I know it, I have two of those tanks DV-52 and the F47RCE.:love: It's taken me a while to get over what went down with Westerly, RI, but the West & China made Guilds are superb guitars. I'm sure I'll add another one to the collection, just haven't decided what I want.

Archived